Friday, February 8, 2008

Friendly Fashion Connection 1

If you live anywhere near Toronto - or anywhere in Canada, for that matter - chances are you know about the "people from Toronto are horrible, workaholic, driven by consumerism and rude" stereotype. Hell, chances are you've purported it, so dyed in the wool is this noxious label.

Of course, if you come from Toronto you vacillate between feeling persecuted for an unjust (and false) assertion and wanting to move to Montreal. Sometimes you just can't win.

Which is why I am delighted to relate this, my first - and certainly not last - friendly fashion connection with a total stranger (and not a foreigner either - though she was looking for directions). We were in the midst of a snowstorm, a real one, despite that other rumour you might have heard about Torontonians freaking out over 3 inches of snow and calling in the National Guard (that one's true, hate to say). I was walking through the blustery wind in my Canada Goose parka, hood pulled well up and over, when a cheerful seeming, really buff woman tapped me on the shoulder to confirm that she was walking the right way to get to Yonge Street. I answered yes, she thanked me and then we got into a little going the same way conversation about how walking through a foot of snow is as good as hitting the gym (like I'd know).

Just as she was about to speed on - the woman had really long legs - she finally glimpsed my face through the fur and fabric concealing the bulk of me, and positively flipped about the shade of my lipstick. I mean, she loved it, and I loved that she loved it and that she was so vocal and friendly about it. And, of course, I had to tell her where I got it (Holt Renfrew, Bloor Street) and what it was (Bobbi Brown, Cassis) and how much it costs (@ $25.00) and who to ask for at the counter etc.

Point is, it was a snowstorm and two nice ladies bound for work managed to fit in a little beauty talk. Just like that. No sterotypes here :-)

1 comment: