Monday, March 3, 2008

Shopping Stone

There are days when you go out and the stars align and all the clothes are fabulous - and they're even sort of on sale - and by the time you're finished you're wondering if you have enough space in the closet and the drawers for the new haul.

For better or worse, I've been having more than my fair share of these days lately, though I really can't say why. Perhaps it's the "shopping as research" angle that's propelling me to view things differently. It's not clothing, I tell myself, so much as art / photo material / experimentation / fodder. Or maybe it's astrological. Apparently Jupiter is in my house of shopping this year.

I mentioned, in my last post, I recently hit American Apparel for those ubiquitous fetish leggings, overpriced IMO at $46.00. On Friday, when I went to a fancy restaurant with my husband for an end-of-vacation lunch (he took the day off), one of the (twenty-something) servers advised that my outfit had inspired her to go and get some latex-y, plastic leggings of her own. As she was an angular, whippet thin, 5'10" blonde, I was duly flattered.

I wore the aforementioned leggings with a fantastic new oatmeal cashmere / merino blend Yaya Aflalo maxi-sweater I snapped at my best-kept secret (which may be closing?!?!?!). Four stores of merch had been routed through to this single discount location and I was like a kid in a - rather pricey - candy store. This purchase was $130.00 down from $550.00. (I know, I'm like a genius with the sales.)

Here are a couple of gratuitous photos of the look:




16 comments:

  1. Those leggings do rock, I definitly think I need some as well.
    And I only speak some Japanese, I spent a semester in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brave you, to rock the latex leggings! I particularly like the line of your sweater in the back-facing photo. Very poetic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting some pvc leggings, but I'm too embarrassed to show up at a sex shop to get them because apparently that's the only place to find them.

    Or maybe pvc leggings should just be left on the catwalk like at Hussein Chalayan's last year. But they look so good, I just want to sport them myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually wuite like that Yaya Aflalo line.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those leggings are very cool! I hope your good shopping karma continues.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh those leggings look great on you! they are a bit pricey but given how much you'll wear them and the versatility of them, they're worth every cent. i love mine!

    btw, really great blog. i added your link to my site.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for your encouraging comments. It makes me feel so inclined to take fashion chances!

    Dahlia: Sex shops not required. Unless you think of American Apparel as one :-)

    Miss White: I'm loving the good shopping karma, but my credit card is getting a bit scared!

    Riz: I'd never actually seen anything Yaya up close till I found this sweater. Now I'm a convert.

    Live Fab: Thanks so much for the link and the compliment. I've been reading your blog and I really enjoy it. I'll link to yours too... K

    ReplyDelete
  8. maybe you shouldn't keep the shop a secret anymore to promote some new shopper to go and rescue it from ruin?

    That's the leggings? Wow, I find this outfit's amazing, the merino sweater is gorgeous, I love it!!! Getting compliments is always best, but I think that waitress totally gave it to the right person here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kitten: Of course, I love your comment. Thanks so much for your perspective :-) On the topic of telling about the store, like Big Glasses Girl, I just can't do it. It's like my naughty secret. But maybe I'll unveil it in a special post soon. Though it may close briefly, it has been around on and off (as a way to move merch) for many years. I'm hopeful this will continue. K

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the leggings! i wore mine sooo much that now they're all mis-shapen :( they go with everything! you look great

    ReplyDelete
  11. Selina: I haven't even worn mine that often and I can see how they will misshape :-( Thanks for your compliment! K

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Ya Ya! I bought a sweater from there last year that I've worn out. Thanks for the sweet comments on my dress.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Etoilee: I've never owned one before. It feels fantastic though. What did yours look like? How sad that it is no longer in operation. Not only did I love the first dress, but I also love the cream coloured one you wore to the wedding. How talented you are! K

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute! I love the cardigan, you look great. Comfy and chic at once :)

    ReplyDelete