Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Valentine's Version

To say I could care less about Valentine's Day is the understatement of the century. I actually think it's a mean holiday. Those who have sweeties can celebrate their love any old time. Those who don't are discriminated against. But let's face it, the perceived isolation of the average non-partnered (from hearts and roses, sexy lingerie and passion) is entirely fabricated - as is the greeting card occasion. Note: Jewels are exempt from my contempt. :-)

May I recommend that you never dine out on VDay? The food is invariably crappy and the service rushed.

Wow, I'm just a wealth of romance in this post.

But moving on, when you have a young'un, Valentine's is important. You gotta get the cards (one for every kid in the class). You gotta come up with something pink and sweet.

Behold:



These are the yellow cupcakes with buttercream(cheese) icing, made one week after the "naked" batch. In pink!

By the time you read this, I will have served them at my latest dinner party.

12 comments:

  1. Very yummy and you humbug, I love Valentines Day with Mr MDS. Mind you he is the only person I've ever felt this about! I think it is so nice to encourage the class though!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cupcakes look delish! You have a very good point about dining out...I linked this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy!! It seems very delicious!!
    XOXO
    lamia
    http://ginger-chocolateandhoney.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. ack! i think you just gave me the perfect dessert idea for dinner tonight...the bf and i are making a little romantic dinner for two, cooking from Julia Child's cookbook :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the photography here--it captures just the right shade of pink . . . Too bad I gave up (most) sugar along with caffeine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must say that I agree with you about the concept of Valentine's and dinner out is to forget.
    But the cupcakes look so yummy!!!!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is not my favorite holiday. I don't like obligatory days of affection. I prefer spontaneous days of love. But, I would take a cupcake any day of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I honestly LOVED v-day when I was younger, more when I was dating and less when I got married...

    As for the cuteness above.. I'd eat the tops and the icing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. these look like they're from a shop, yum

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm, those look yummy.

    I agree generally about the dinner out thing, but we went Saturday to a restaurant that is only open Thurs-Sat to a reservations only crowd. Most of the clientele were regulars, except for two young couples who squeezed in just before the kitchen closed as walk-ins, and yes they were a little rushed but the food was probably just as good.

    I never go out on V-day if it is a day one of my favorite places isn't normally on top of its game.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey all: Thanks for your lovely comments about the cupcakes - and your feelings about V day. Kxo

    ReplyDelete