Sunday, February 9, 2014

I Truly Don't Understand This Alteration



I guess that's why they call it the muslin phase.

Based on Sunni's post (wherein she has provided a very useful photo from Pants For Real People, with permission of the author), sense I've made the following alteration to the original pattern:
  •  Making the waist higher. Yeah, I went there. I want this thing to be at least as high as those denim leggings. I'm a phase in my life where my abdomen is not only larger than I'd like but also relatively untoned - despite lots o' yoga. (I'm taking the long view peeps. Hormones are a fucking bitch.)
  • Making the upper, inner thighs roomier. Not surprising since that's the only place where fat lives on my legs - just up at the top, as the altered pattern indicates. Also, remember I bought the size 10 because I read that the pattern runs large. In a 12, I'd probably still have to adjust the curve but maybe not as much...
  • I've added a bit of extra fabric to the front crotch and quite a bit to the back curve. Here's where things get dicey. I can see how the original pattern comes together with a deep "u". Mine is the oddest "v". Hmmm... This kind of goes against my need for an L shaped crotch curve (vs a J shape). I have read elsewhere, however, that in close fitting knit pants the J shape is used to best effect. That's sort of the shape of the unaltered Claudia crotch curve. Whether the v works on me, we'll have to see.
BTW, I really recommend Pants For Real People, hideousness of the design and layout aside.

Thoughts or feelings on this?

10 comments:

  1. So... what don't you understand about it? If it works?
    -Kimbersew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True enough. I guess I just can't believe that this is what other adjustments have led me too. Strikes me that crotches shouldn't be V shaped :-)

      Delete
  2. Well, as far as your V -- that would seem to indicate not as much junk in your trunk:) I have a deep crotch curve. And designer jeans use a narrow leg and hip and deep crotch curve. If that makes sense. The deeper the crotch curve (and it can be too deep) allows the pants to hug your butt area if you have some junk in your trunk. Otherwise you would make it more narrow (or V like), or perhaps take out an adjustment taking an area out of the crotch curve and lessening as it goes to the leg (see Jennifer Stern's recent tutorial on her blog) . . . I think this is going to be interesting to see how it turns out. It's a difficult area for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I've got quite enough, thank you! But I do like the idea that the longer curve is designed to hug things better. I'll have to check out Jennifer's post. And I agree, this is going to be interesting...

      Delete
  3. This whole butt-crotch fitting thing is damn confusing (and yes hormones are a bitch) so, while I can offer nothing but support, I will definitely watch with interest. Please do tell us what you learn....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it is confusing - where do you add (is adding actually the addition of fabric or the addition of space for your butt??). Thank you for commiserating. Will keep you posted.

      Delete
  4. Also watching along with interest- trousers are not on my favourite to sew list. In general the best ones I've made have been from trace-offs of well fitting rtw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a reason that Rub Off book has been so popular!

      Delete
  5. The more I read the more I think we are body doubles--my inner thighs are the one place where the fat deposits never go away even when I'm 30 lbs under my "ideal" weight. This is good though, because after I see you do it, I'll be able to use your notes for myself *evil grin*.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, that is bizarre! I too tend to keep that inch of inner thigh fat through thick and thin (though it does diminish from time to time). I like to be happy that this is the only place the fat likes on my legs :-) Also, please - use all alterations to your own benefit - but tell me if you come up with better alternatives for us!

      Delete