Saturday, February 1, 2014

This Pattern's a Keeper

OK, I did end up finishing the top today - 5 minutes before going out to dinner. And let me tell you, it's a hit.

The arm adjustments resulted in a pattern that fits perfectly in the arms and shoulders. The drape of that rayon jersey is amazing. BTW, I threw the fabric the washer and dryer twice, on Ann's advice, to ensure there wouldn't be any post construction shrinkage, and it's worn fairly well.

I need make only these changes to the pattern - and if I can find another fabric combo in my stash, I'm making it again tomorrow:
  • Use the chain method to ensure that the cowl doesn't flip.
  • Add more fabric in the cowl to allow for better drape over my breasts. Right now, the cowl overlay falls directly over the midpoint of my breasts. I love the shoulder position, but I'm going to make the curve of the cowl itself slightly shallower to get the additional fabric I require.
  • Add about an inch to the hips tapering to nothing at the shoulder. I sense I need a bit more space in the waist and hips to skim better over my lower abdomen.
I made the size 10 and I have to say I'm really happier to increase circumference at the waist and hips in a slightly snug size than to make everything in a size 12 smaller. Making stuff bigger is much easier to do.  Mind you, I did spend hours today making the armscye and shoulder dimensions smaller and higher by doing all of those adjustments before cutting. So maybe every size needs to be bigger in some places and smaller in others.

In the end, my opinion is that the Demi-Drape top is a very easy pattern to sew. Looks more complicated than it is and it doesn't look particularly hard, I realize. I don't think the instructions are fantastic, but StyleArc assumes you know what you're doing. If you've got tits this is the top for you.

It took me about 2 hours to actually sew the garment, not so long by my standards. Next time it will hopefully go more smoothly because now I know what I'm aiming for.

I really love the end result and the pattern looks good, inside and out. Note: I used a serger, cover stitch and a regular machine). Photos will follow, likely with the next version, because I want to produce a better fitting end product. But I will photo the one I made today on the dress form - as long as the dress form isn't too wide.

It's really great to make something I know I'll wear.


  1. can't wait to see pics... so glad this top worked out for you!

  2. Ummmm, so somebody tells you that the pattern is a hit, that it looks great, then describes it......and does not post pics!!!! Evil. LOL. :)