Thursday, February 13, 2014

A Bit of Spring

It was so warm today (-2?) that I wore a spring coat (with a couple of sweaters underneath). On the way home, for the first time, perhaps, since I learned about my mother's illness, I bought flowers as a gesture of optimism.

And when I got home, my Blanche Too sweater had dried, after wet-blocking last night. I was intrigued to see how it's the colour of new grass and spring shoots:

Note: It's more sage than these (after-dark) photos would indicate.
The neck looks wider on the dress form than it does on me because the form is stretching it width-wise. Still the neck is wider than I'd like it to be. It's as much medieval wench as 50's lady but for all that, I can get with it. Lord knows, I've got the décolleté.

Apologies for overexposure. It's tricky to take pics in mid-winter twilight...


The pictures don't really do it justice. It's actually a lovely sweater and the yarn blocked beautifully.

It's the perfect length (22.5" from back neck) but the front neck could stand to be a bit higher. I told you that armscye was too long.

On the plus side, the modified sleeves fit perfectly into the modified armscye and they're a fine length, just above the elbow. This sweater is a pretty good fit. Not flawless, but good enough that most people won't be able to find its flaws.

This is the first time I've ever back stitched in sleeves. Usually I mattress stitch (horizontal to vertical):


Gotta say, back stitching takes 20 per cent of the time and it doesn't look bad when it's done. It doesn't look as good as mattress stitch, however. I do think that back stitching gives more structure to the finished shoulder which, in this case, is welcome news. The shoulders, like the neck, are slightly too wide (I should have made the sweater smaller above the full bust and blocked the shoulders closer to the midline... Next time.) But the shoulder seam ensures that there's just enough integrity.

See here how the front neck band was picked up and knitted from cast off stitches (per the sub-optimal instructions):

You can see the ridge between the base of the front neck and where the sweater body ends...
Compare it to the back neck band which was merely continued after taking stitches off a holder:

No ridge where the back rib meets the body...
I'll have you know I picked up those front stitches incredibly neatly. If you enlarge and then zoom in the top photo (full sweater), you'll see that every knit stitch aligns. Alas, it's never going to be as pretty as the back.

I can't say I enjoyed making this, but I do think I'll enjoy wearing it.

But what do you think?

24 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous sweater -- and how perfect that its colour matches your spring-optimistic mood.
    You finish your garments SO beautifully - I mean, you could practically wear that sweater inside out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Frances! In truth, the jumper is much less spring green than sage (though the photo doesn't give that impression), but I'm feeling the spring in it anyway! And I so appreciate your words about my finishing. I try SO hard to do good work inside and out - and I am really grateful when that's observable. xo

      Delete
  2. Very nice! Still puzzling about that front neck bind off, but maybe it's to keep that low, wide neckline from stretching and over exposing the décolleté?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pattern was in error. It tells you to bind off in one spot and then refers (in a totally different spot) to the stitches you put on the holder. Can't recommend the instructions.

      Delete
  3. Oh I like that. I think sometimes sweaters get almost too busy for me in trying to make it interesting for the knitter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - its strength is in its simplicity. But it makes for boring knitting...

      Delete
  4. I basically did the nod and smile through your construction recap because I have no idea what it meant. :-) I really like this sweater...but then again, "medieval wench" is pretty much my style ideal. It should totally make a comeback to mainstream fashion. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilarious! Well, when you start to knit, you can put this one on your list :-)

      Delete
  5. I think it's lovely. I really like square necklines and they aren't something you see often in rtw, especially knitwear. Must sew some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true - not a popular neck line, maybe because it's a bit tricky? (I mean, it's actually not hard, but it would be harder for the machines?)

      Delete
  6. It came out beautifully! You're right - it does look like Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks G! When I came home, and saw the dry sweater lying on the mat, I was SO cheered!

      Delete
  7. Love this and the sentiment that it might actually be spring one day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please post a pic of it being worn, I'm really curious about this style, the neckline, and where the sleeves end. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will - but I feel it's a bit big right now. I have to wash it and then try to shrink it (maybe when almost dry, in brief spurts, in the dryer).

      Delete
  9. I second Isaspacey, you gotta treat us to a picof you modelling it ;) looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. gorgeous sweater! that color is divine. i would certainly appreciate a hint of spring right now-- instead we're buried under two feet of snow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the spring is so gone AGAIN. I cannot take much more of this. If only cuz I'm eating everything I can get my hands on!

      Delete
  11. What a pretty neckline!! It may have been a PITA to knit, but worth it for the results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I suppose. But I'm really off the sweater-knitting right now. I just can't get excited for it.

      Delete