Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Quick Update

So sorry it's been radio-silence for a couple of days. Today, many of you have so kindly emailed to find out how I'm doing. Please know, I've been meaning to write but I'm bizarrely superstitious right now. It's a function of the OCD I struggle with sometimes.

In short, I'm feeling much better (thank you health goddess). Again, I've been so blown away by this bug, that I'm anxious to seem too invested or excited by any turn of events, but in the last couple of days I've noted marked reduction of laryngeal mucous, less violence in coughing and I've somehow come up with a way to wake myself every couple of hours - before any stridor can occur.

That's a huge advance, because it means I'm not as afraid to sleep. And, Lord, I need sleep. Last night, I got 12 hours, broken into two hour stints. Each time I woke, I drank a small amount of water and got my breathing back on track (before any fit could start). Then went back to sleep again.

Hilly came over today with so much awesome food. A whole week's worth of prepared meals and special homemade treats so that Scott and M will be nutritiously fed. I still find it challenging to eat. Most foods are either mucous-producing (dairy, sugar, gluten) or tough (meats, for example), so I'm subsisting on broth soups, white rice, frozen blueberries (these are a BOON), eggs, some small bits of soft meat, and the occasional piece of toast.

I would say that I feel better right now (again, no investment) than I have in a month. I'm still just sitting on the couch watching half of whatever movie comes on, putting my head over bowls of steam-water, surfing the net and wondering how on earth a day can go by so unproductively. Then I remember that my body is doing yeoman's work getting better and it all seems much more productive.

Some signs that I do have a bit of energy include that I have knit a few rows over each of the last 2 days and I've loaded and started the dishwasher. Point is, I was so horrified by the state of the kitchen, I actually motivated myself to improve it. That's the old me coming back!

I want you to know how much I appreciate your love and support right now. I KNOW it has been fundamental to my getting better - everyone's caring has bolstered my spirits immeasurably.

I can't say I'm feeling normal, or cheerful, but I'm not anywhere near as scared or depressed. I will keep you posted, though I'm trying not to bombard you all with these boring updates.  I know you come to read about fun things and creative activities. I would love to have something new and fun to share when next I post.

Actually, here's something for Canadian readers: gapcanada.ca (which always ships free for orders over $50.00) is having a 30% off sale until Oct. 25. There are many good deals to be had on all merchandise, such as Gap Body and 1969 denim. Usually, I shop for jeans and Ts for M and Scott by going into the Gap store, but since I've been in the house for the last month, I haven't been able to. I was just able to buy all of the things they've needed (M is too tall for all of her clothes again), at excellent prices, without leaving my couch. Gotta dig the 21st century.

20 comments:

  1. Yay breathing! Always a good thing and generally taken for granted. I'm glad you have found a way to sleep. Sleep is so critical to healing. I'll keep my fingers crossed, well, unless I'm typing. I'm not that talented. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is SO critical. And I know you are that talented :-)

      Delete
  2. Fingers crossed for your recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're feeling better. Hope you feel well enough to dig into the creating soon, not just the fantasy-type of creativity that happens to me sometimes. Combined with that 21st century internet shopping ability, it can be dangerous. (hmmm. I'd like to make something out of this random fabric someday. I think I'll buy 7 yards)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn: That is true. I am so expert at online shopping, even in acute illness, that my judgement can suffer if I'm not really careful.

      Delete
  4. So glad you are feeling better, may you continue to improve! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't rush the ending. No relapses needed. Glad you got a few rows and some shopping in. If the kitchen horrified you, that's definitely a good sign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I've been increasingly horrified by mess. It's a very good sign :-)

      Delete
  6. Sleep is a good thing. It will give your body chance to rest and heal. Hopefully this is a corner turned. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Evie. I am starting to feel more like myself in the past couple of days. I know this will take a while to leave my system completely, but I'm so grateful for any and all improvements...

      Delete
  7. So great to hear you are better! And shopping is a sure sign that you're getting your old self back, I'm sure! Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could say that shopping is a sign of my old self, but shopping is just so innate to my being that I think I could do it half dead :-)

      Delete
  8. Great to hear you are still on the mend. Just hang in there and get rest. The sleep thing is great. Do your doctors have any prediction on when the striders will stop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This thing can last for 3 months from beginning to end. I think the acute phase wears out into a convalescent phase over the last month (or for the last 2-3 weeks of the sickness, depending on how long it lasts). With the prednisone, which is helping my airways to stay clear, I am not experiencing the stridor anymore (please let it not return). I do have to get up, drink and work on my breathing to keep everything under control, but that's not something I could manage a week ago, so it's real progress.

      Delete
  9. Kristin, what a relief to hear that you may be getting better! Your updates are NOT boring. I'm far more interested in how you're doing than in reading about pretty and fun stuff. Sending more hugs and love. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you're starting to make some progress! I bet you can't wait to get well again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have NO idea. Oh, health is a beautiful thing...

      Delete