Sunday, October 14, 2012

Gauge the Situation: Worsted Project Complete

Without much fanfare I have finished the Inaugural Sweater. In truth, and certainly not because it isn't lovely, this sweater really isn't for me.

Let's start with a few pics (note: it looks better on me, but not much):

The collar is its nicest feature, IMO.
While it isn't incredibly noticeable in real life, see how the stitches in the middle of the photo are thicker? That's because I had to switch skeins half way through a row (I was really worried about running out of yarn - a foundless concern, as it happens, since I still have 80 per cent of the last skein). I learned this last time I used Debbie Bliss cashmerino yarn - weaving two skeins together is not seamless as it is with may other firmer wools.
Here's the full thing. It's supposed to open at the bottom, as it does, but I haven't hemmed it yet and may choose not to. Why? It's a really short sweater. I could go back and unknit the bottom 8 rows, add an inch on, and redo the hemming (that bit below the main moss stitch pattern) but it actually looks kind of interesting in real life unhemmed (if not in this photo). The bottom doesn't curl at all, though it seems to in this shot.  Also, hate to point this out, cuz it isn't so noticeable when worn, but the concealed snap over the left breast is showing through, slightly, because the moss stitch isn't firm enough to hide it. I've resewn it twice. I think the only thing that would mitigate this is a button band.
See how shapeless it is in the waist? I really should have started the decreases much higher up. And been more extreme with them. You can't see the side decreases well in this shot but you can see the left back decreases at the bottom 1/3 of the sweater.
The good news is that I think it's going to be just the kind of thing my mother will love for Xmas.

Other good news is that I'm sure I could fix this "wearable muslin" so that, in the next version, I'd correct the challenges by:
  • Using a yarn with less drape and more structure - like the Cascade 220. I sense this is key with this sweater.
  • Making sure that the below bust side decreases start as soon as possible.
  • Making sure the back decreases start 2 inches higher.
  • Making the sweater 2 inches longer.
  • Machine stitching the buttonholes on a hand-inserted button band - I'm convinced this is the only way to make a hand knit sweater sturdy.
  • Getting to 40 stitches in the arm by just below the bicep (that means I'd have to cut 20 stitches out of this thing in the top 3 inches of the sleeve). As it is, I had to keep ad hoc decreasing - including two decrease rows in the moss stitch on the sleeve. That really didn't improve how the pattern lies, though it's not observable at the seam (which is at the under-forearm).
Alas, I don't think I'm going to make it again. I just don't love it on me. Its issue, from my perspective is that it's just too much sweater. I don't wear anything this bulky. In fact, I wear cashmere deliberately to get the required warmth from the minimal amount of bulk. Moreover, it looks just a bit too hand knit for my liking, which I blame mainly on my choice of yarn, but also on the gauge.

Please do not misunderstand. I think this is a sweater with MUCH to recommend itself:
  • Clear instructions
  • Easy pattern
  • Chic shape
  • Useful in many kinds of cold weather
  • Lovely details
It just doesn't work for me.

Next, I'm moving on to the Siivet Pullover, the sweater y'all recommended for the sport weight Gauge the Situation project. Not fast, mind you, but next.

I'm curious to know your thoughts about this garment. Have you made it? Do you like it?

16 comments:

  1. It's a gorgeous result - I love it. I just learned to knit and wow! This is amazing.
    I tend to agree with you on the sweather bulk. I don't wear anything but cashmere or merino. Ever. I'm pretty bulky through my chest/back compared to my hips/legs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! I just don't see the need to add more bulk when it obscures my narrowness and makes it hard to tell one lump from another :-)

      Delete
  2. I'm gradually learning that I'm not a fan of worsted-weight knits for myself. That realization is a long time coming, and I still fight it. . .currently knitting a pullover in Noro worsted. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I intuited this, you know, based on lots of conversations we've had about knitting preferences. I mean, all I have to do is look in my closet to prove it. (Or should I say, the floor of my bedroom, this week :-)) I went to your Ravelry page to figure out which sweater you're knitting in the Noro but I can't seem to find it. Which one is it?

      It's good to know these things. This sweater took SO MUCH YARN. It got hard to maneuver, like half way through. At the last sleeve it seemed I was fighting with a small furry animal.

      But I think it looks awesome on the designer and many of the other ladies who have made it. We all just have our own preferences...

      Delete
  3. I don't think it looks "hand knit"... It's really lovely! Your Mum is so lucky to get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your saying this because "hand knit" is my least favourite adjective ever. I really think she's going to love it and I think it will fit her frame very well.

      Delete
  4. You've done a beautiful job on the knitting, what a shame you won't wear it yourself. After many disappointments I now only ever knit fingering/sport weight garments for myself, despite loving how dk and worsted look on others. I think you need biggish shoulders and a smallish bust to pull off the 'comfy cozy' look. Those of us with bigger busts and smaller frames just look kind of lumpy and frumpy in thicker yarns (well I do anyway!). There are many beautiful patterns for fine gauge yarns out there - they just take flippin' ages to knit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Josie. I think it's really important to figure out what works best on ourselves. I think the thicker yarns do look frumpier on small, busty frames.

      Delete
  5. This is a really beautiful knit and you're mum will be thrilled I think. That said I've had two knits in this yarn and never again. It's just too drapey and does have a distinct halo, which I'm happy to avoid if possible.
    I'm currently knitting in 4ply lambswool and loving it. It might take longer to get to a finished garment (I'm not the worlds fastest knitter) but the less bulky garment is worth it.
    Hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope she's really going to enjoy it. I'm so glad to hear you concur with my perspective on the yarn. You know, I really like the Rialto chunky, the Cashmerino DK and the baby, but the Cashmerino aran is sub par. I couldn't believe how many joins were in each ball of 120 yards.

      I'll check out Ravelry to see your latest project. What's your handle there?

      Delete
  6. The sweater is lovely. I like worsted weight yarn, but I'm with you on that it is not for me. It is just too heavy and warm most of the time that I can't justify spending the time to make a sweater of it. Since I am a "woman of a certain age" and often have temperature regulation issues, I need garments that are lighter. The sweater is very pretty and I think you are too hard on the flaws. Thanks for sharing your work and your experience with this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is very warm and heavy. I know what you mean about getting those hot flashes - though temp regulation sounds much more polite!

      Delete
  7. Wow, we both have lucky moms this week in the knitting department!

    I think the sweater is beautiful and that there is nothing homespun about it. BUT I understand where you are coming from. I just finished arm warmers and they feel very home knit to me. Too bad that this didn't work out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do indeed. I like those arm warmers. They sure are Flashdance :-)

      Delete