Monday, October 29, 2012

All Over The Map (But with Talk of Sewing)

Today was a good day. I got myself to work (in a cab - cab it is for this week). I loved seeing all of my comrades. I didn't feel too terrible, though my energy did start to flag at 2 pm. I dug through the chasm of emails and administrivia that was hanging over me. I did leave earlier than usual but I managed. When I arrived home, I spent an hour on these arcane ablutions I've undertaken in the name of healing: steam bath, vitamins, gargling with salt water (usually makes me gag and spit choke?!), eating a bowl of half-thawed frozen blueberries (those antioxidants don't just hang out in the ether), lying over bolster (very gentle yoga) and - this takes the cake - the neti pot. Zut alors, I cannot begin to tell you how desperate I am to relieve the mucus situation. But I don't have to. Nasal irrigation says it all.

I'm starting to understand what took up all of my convalescent time. But gross things aside, I know I feel more normal because, instead of lying here in front of the TV, I have chosen to write to you about my next sewing project.

Next sewing project? Um, does this smack of getting ahead of oneself? Happily, not at all. Since I discovered that I prefer planning to practically anything else, the world is my oyster. As long as my brain has some juice, I can simply think about things and call it sewing! Sure, it's unlikely I'm going to tackle production for the next couple of weeks, but a girl can sit around and mentally ready herself.

A little back story: In early October, when I was really starting to feel hideous, I couldn't do much other than surf the net. That's when all of my fave blogs came in even handier than usual.  Jody posted about jersey patterns from the 50s, and I was blown away by her gorgeous finds. I spent a few minutes and - strangely easily - found many of the patterns she profiled on Etsy. I purchased Simplicity 3302:


It was very reasonably priced at under 15 bucks, including shipping. And I love how it's basically 2 pieces - a back bodice (with attached sleeve) - cut with a centre seam - and a front bodice (with attached sleeve) cut on the fold:



See those interesting sleeve and bust darts?

I bought a 34 bust (that's the size I found), with the intention to grade it up, as necessary. However, having measured the pattern, there appears to be a lot of bust ease (like 10 inches?!) I realize that this is a blouson style top, but if I make it in a knit (which I intend to do) I'm pretty sure it will be more than big enough. In fact, I may need to take some fabric out of this thing, to suit my shape (and modern proportions). Of course, who knows what's going to happen? I'm just giving my imagination free-rein.

I'm not sure I will face the neck - as the pattern calls for - or if I'll finish it with bias tape instead. The beauty of this thing is that there are but 2 pieces to concern myself with, and a few darts and a hem.

So, today's questions are:
  • What do you think of this dolman-style pattern? I notice this shape is becoming popular amongst the sewists lately. Do you find it notably vintage, or kind of contemporary?
  • Have you made this pattern and, if so, what are your thoughts?
  • What do you think of those other pattern's Jody's profiled? They're awesome, IMO. I want them all!
In closing, and just to keep the "all over the map" concept alive and well, I hope that all East-coasters are able to stay safe, warm and dry. And if I figure out how to sleep for a few hours in a row tonight, the world will be looking ever finer, I'm sure.

15 comments:

  1. Sooooo cute! I love this style of top! I was going to post about how to draft your own soon, because I did and its basically a rectangle with sleeves! Ha! Though your pattern has some really great additional elements that make it really stand out. Lovely pattern and I think the perfect sewing project after what you've been through. So good to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you've been interested by this style and I can't wait to see your post. Thanks for all of your well-wishes Sunni!

      Delete
  2. I love dolman style tops!

    One thing I noticed is that the regular neckline, as opposed to the vee, seems to be cut fairly high on the neck with no opening of any sort to make it large enough to get over your head. Is there a placket style facing that's used for a back opening?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I think there's a placket and a button - but I haven't reviewed the pattern or instructions in detail. I'll have to consider that...

      Delete
  3. I like the idea of Dolman Sleeves, but I think they may be challenging to fit for a small frame & large bust. How to fit the shoulders and the upper chest as well as the bust without getting odd folds due to the dolman shape? I am looking forward to your posts about it - especially about the shaping options in this pattern.

    P.S. Glad you feel better!

    Mona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mona: Of course, you may be right! At least, difficulty in fitting bodices is nothing new to me :-) Here's hoping I'm up to it! I suspect the bust dart (that goes practically into the armsyce) might assist. But I guess we'll see.

      Delete
    2. Glad to read you're on the mend. Regarding this top and doing an FBA, I'm thinking that adding a gusset to the underarm was mentioned somewhere when doing larger adjustments. Where I may have read this, I have no clue.

      Delete
    3. Yes - I've read this too. And Gertie has done many good posts about gussets. Secretly, they freak me out a bit. :-)

      Delete
  4. Glad you're feeling better. As for your new pattern, I must confess I'm a bit smitten with Dolman tops at the moment (just made one myself, planning on another one) so I say go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andrea! I do love your new Dolman top. You might have got me thinking a bit more seriously about these :-)

      Delete
  5. Hmm, I like the style! I'd like to give it a go!
    I just pinned a woven pattern that was similar to this style. It's a free pattern from the 40s.
    I'd like to give it a go sometime. I bet it would be more flattering in a knit. I'm looking forward to seeing Sunni's tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What pattern did you pin? (I'm not on pinterest so I'm bad at looking at pics in that format).

      Delete
    2. http://sewingvintage.blogspot.co.nz/2010/01/make-nifty-blouse.html

      There you go! :) I don't know if/when I'd make this but I'd like to think I'd give it a try!

      Delete
  6. i'm glad to heat that you are better!
    i think dolman sleeves can be fabulous if fitted correctly :) i have been intimidated by them because i'm not quit sure about fitting them. i think you're in for a challenge!
    as a side note, i just placed my third order for new bras. your shop-along has caused a little revolution in my life... i have experimented a little with size and i have learn a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J: Thank you. I am slowly coming along! I may well be in for a challenge with those sleeves. Of course, I can dream that it will all work out perfectly, out of the envelope with no alterations. I'm allowed to do that. :-)

      I am so pleased that you have revolutionized your undergarment wardrobe. Seriously, it's one of the more meaningful things you're likely to do. Seems crazy, but it's a life-changing move.

      Delete