Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Two Socks, One Week: You Mean We Have To Do This All Over Again??

Baseline: Sock 2, Days 5 (optional), 6 and 7
Timeline: Somewhat less long than the first sock...

Well Happy New Year! Let's get going on that second sock...

Ain't it a bitch? (I mean, a blessing, cuz you get to perfect your method...)

Here is a post about the dreaded "Second Sock Syndrome" to distract you from any hangover-related inertia. That's the malaise that sets in when you realize you've finished one gorgeous sock but, alas, you have 2 feet to sheath. My best avoidance tactic to date is knitting two socks in one week. It doesn't give you the opportunity to feel SSS. Keep on little soldiers!

Of course, you can apply your magic loop knowledge, in the future, to a slightly more complex technique - knitting both socks at once on the same pair of cable needles. That's where I'm going next.

But for now...

Just go back to the pattern and the relevant posts in the sidebar having "Sock 1" in the title. And view them in order, natch. The pattern, along with your notes, should make this second sock a very knowable process.

Note: I tend to take Day 5 off (especially if it's a Friday) and return apace for the weekend. That means I'm committed to knitting a sock, no matter how long it takes, over the weekend. But hey, that's how you get a pair of socks done in a week. 

I'll be back on Day 7 to talk about weaving in ends and blocking.

So, are you done with the first sock? Any meaningful thoughts and feelings you are compelled to share? Let's talk!

12 comments:

  1. Finished sock#1 last night and immediately cast on sock#2 to avoid SSS. Back to work tomorrow means the knitting gets slower, but you never know...I have high hopes for completion. The Blue Moon yarn is a dream -- great stitch definition and fit-like-a-glove fabric. Yum. D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are motoring away! Very smart to avoid the SSS. No good can come of it. I have to try that Blue Moon yarn. I've heard a lot of good things about it. If only my LYS sold it, then I could touch it before buying... (And have it immediately!) Don't worry about work. I find, the best way to deal with things is to knit at lunch "hour" (if I can work it into the schedule - admittedly, it's a long shot). The other thing I do is to knit on the bus, if I've got space and I don't walk home. And, when I get home, I start knitting immediately. After a few rows I stop to do necessary things like make dinner (a simple dinner). And then I'm in the groove to keep on in the evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not knitting socks, but I did finish a sleeve last night. Now I've got that second one to get started.

    Lois K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that's just as good! Don't let second sleeve syndrome trip you up :-)

      Delete
  4. I decided early this morning to go ahead and Kitchener stitch the toes on my pair. Not fond of that stitch...bleh! which is why I prefer knitting toe up socks. But life is about challenging yourself, right??? Anyway, the socks are done except for blocking. Not bad for starting at 3 pm on Dec. 28 and finishing by the end of the year. Again thanks for offering this KAL; I appreciate all the detailed work you went into to write up this pattern. I will use it again, after I get better at that Kitchener stitch! Happy New Year and many days of knitting in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't use to like it, but it's grown on me. It's the kind of thing that, once you do it 10 or 15 times, you get into :-) I think you are AWESOME for finishing those socks in that timeframe. And, as I've seen a pic, I know how great they are.

      Please keep using the pattern and refer to the posts in the future. I hope that people get lots of benefit from this. That's why I did it! :-)

      Delete
  5. Ooh I am almost done on sock 2! Another try at the dreaded kitchener stitch looms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry! Watch the video and read my post. You'll do just fine - but don't forget the 2 stitch set up...

      Delete
  6. I'm a bit behind - I lost a day because my sock was coming out too big after the first day. So I frogged and restarted with smaller needles. I'm working toe up - right now toe, sole and heel are done. So, today I am knitting the leg and cuff if I have enough time. I'm definitely not knitting as fast as you. So, realistically this will be 2 socks, 2 weeks. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How smart of you to rip it back and get the gauge you're comfortable with! Can't wait to see your finished socks - in one week, two weeks or how ever long it takes. (Really, though, I'm curious so keep knitting :-))

      Delete
  7. Finished gusset on #2 sock last night. Might even finish the foot tonight after work. Gusset decreases have always been my perceived "slow and tedious" part of a sock. I'm starting to compartmentalize it in my head and see it as simply another section in sock construction instead of a roadblock to progress. SO nice to have a well fitting pair of socks nearly finished, Question is....keep them or stash them as a gift? Mmmm. D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's terrific. I find the gusset to be tedious as well, in truth, because it's the gateway to the end of the sock. Now that I compartmentalize it, I also find it goes more quickly and pleasantly. Woohoo! And keep them. Then start on a new pair right away for a lucky friend.

      Delete