Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Public Service Announcement

The other day, I read this post. Have to say, I was so impressed by the beautiful drape of the garment, featured within, that I immediately a) bought 3 yards of the fabric used to make it and b) went over to StyleArc and got the pattern.

I can't tell you that I've ever done that before.

Fast forward a couple of weeks (long weeks, waiting for parcels) and my fabric arrived today.

In addition to this (for making the Demi Drape Top):

White Smoke Rayon Jersey from Gorgeous Fabrics
Seagrass Rayon Jersey from Gorgeous Fabrics (Note: My Seagrass Rayon Jersey looks decidedly grey IRL but the White Smoke is exactly as shown...)
 I also bought these fabrics:

Textured T Shirt Weight Rayon Jersey
Butterfly Migration Stretch Charmeuse
Admittedly, they are all lovely. The butterfly charmeuse is not as stretchy as the canary yellow stuff I'm working with to make my latest version of the Janet Jacket (well in process, fyi). But I suspect it will be more useful as a result. This stuff might work very well to make an unaltered top designed for woven fabric, for a woman with proportionately large breasts. Not sure why there is such a difference in the properties of stretch between the two charmeuses, but I suspect it's because the yellow is pure silk and the Butterfly is a synthetic.

However, the fact is that the rayon jersey stuff is freakin' awesome. Seriously. It's the cat's ass. I don't know that I've ever seen such beautiful jersey. The hand is amazing. So is the drape. It feels like a million dollars. It's very well-priced. You can tell that it's going to sew nicely cuz it's not bitchy rayon.

Even though it's no longer on sale, (I got it at the ridiculous price of $10.50 a yard), go buy some. You will not be disappointed.

8 comments:

  1. I want to touch that rayon jersey. I've had bad experiences with rayon jersey before (not stretchy enough, too thin and clingy) so I want to see the goods IRL. Next time we hang out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely. Just need to say, it's like no jersey I've felt before (except the kind you find in expensive RTW). It's not too thin. Not too clingy (I think). Quite stretchy. I love it, though I wish the seagrass were actually a mossy green colour rather than the same grey I have in 15 other fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So now all we have to do is wait for the pattern to arrive so we can see your version, right?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right! But man, shipping from Australia sure is taking its time!

      Delete
  4. I've been admiring these demi tops too! They are fantastic. And, should be a quick, easy and satisfying pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, let's not get too excited :-) I'll keep you posted.

      Delete
  5. Have you received your bengaline fabric yet? I"m curious to hear what it's like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO! And I'm really not loving the wait! I will advise as soon as I receive it.

      Delete