Monday, January 6, 2014

A Little Bit More About Socks...

Thanks to everyone who's been sending photos of their finished socks (or posting them on their blogs). I'm thrilled by all of your beautiful efforts! I do intend to do a follow up post with pics, closer to the end of the month, when more folks have had a chance to finish the Two Socks, One Week KAL (see the sidebar if you'd like a pattern and road map for making a simple pair of socks). (Hey Barb - I couldn't reply to your email because your anti-spam software doesn't like my email program. But I did get your photo of the lovely socks!)

Anyway, today I must send you over to Clio's blog where she shows her own KAL efforts-to-date and provides a self-drafted, toe up, simple sock recipe.

I totally want to learn toe up socks, though I don't have any challenges with toe-grafting or Kitchener stitch lumps and bumps (which Clio says she struggles with sometimes). I just like the idea of knowing another method - one which is better to work if you have limited yarn. Thing is, I haven't really been motivated to learn a new method in the context of a complicated pattern.

I do love sock recipes (the likes of which A Simple Sock is). I just want to know the gist of things, and the steps (and some links to the techniques required to do the steps) so that I can feel comfortable giving it a go.

Let's say some of you are interested in the KAL, but not in my pattern's cuff down method, well, Clio's pattern is a great alternative.

Finally, check out the colours of her sock - knit in ToshSock - seriously the most delicious yarn on the planet. Those Tosh peeps really know how to dye.

11 comments:

  1. Kristin, I got your response-it was hanging out in my spam folder. Clio's socks are gorgeous and I will be casting on toe up next time. I love a challenge and learning something new. Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear this! Do try Clio's pattern next. That's what I'm going to do!

      Delete
  2. What? When you said a pair of socks in one week you meant it? Ha, ha, as you know, magic loop or not, I'm sloooow! I'll be sending you photos of my finished socks in February, or April. Just kidding. Thanks again for getting me to learn a new skill. Magic loop will come in handy for much more than sock knitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I will happily post them in April or February. But I suspect you'll be done sooner. That brother needs his socks!

      Delete
  3. someday I'd like to learn Toe-Up as well, so I'll bookmark Clio's post, thanks. I'm looking forward to seeing photos of all the socks you inspired and midwived into the world . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that makes me sound so fancy! You should do the toe up socks this year sometime. It can be a novel experience in 2014 :-)

      Delete
    2. Let's hope there isn't too much errata in my recipe!

      Delete
    3. I'm sure it's excellent. But I know how that errata creeps in. It's challenging to write a pattern with no errors. I guess that's why it's not our day job :-)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the KAl Info. I have all my supplies, was set to go, and tripped over the trash can while cleaning up Christmas dinner. I managed to break my right arm. Unless you have some tips for one handed knitting, it will be a while before I can send you a picture. I am the KAL turtle, but I'll get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose, that's horrible!! I'm so sorry to hear this. Just get better asap and come back to the posts in a few months. If you have questions, just leave them in comments or email. I'll still be here!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the shout out!

    Yeah, I always end up with a little "ear" or bump when I finish kitchner. It's not a big deal, but I am the princess and the pea when it comes to socks. That said, I've successfully knit socks from both directions. ;-)

    ReplyDelete