Thursday, December 29, 2011

Holiday Sewing: Ginger Skirt

Off to start another day of crafting soon (c'mon it's practically half over already), but I'll share with you a delightful finished project, the Ginger skirt, made yesterday:

Winter lighting and dark denim just don't mix... You have to trust me, it's adorable.

The inside is as lovely as the outside! I used mock flat-felled seams and they worked really well. Got to use my serger, to which I am very attached, but with a different finished effect. Isn't the contrast facing at the inner waistband lovely. It also helps to diminish bulk, which is an issue when sewing with denim.

I used some seam binding on top of the serged hem, just cuz. I wanted to do pretty-sewing techniques in support of the prettiest skirt in the land.

This is the most unapologetically, almost-teeth-hurtingly, pretty thing I have ever made. Hell, it's practically the prettiest design I've ever seen.

A few thoughts:
  • I love this skirt. I will, no doubt make all 3 versions. The drape of the A-line is lovely.
  • As always, Colette patterns are a joy to sew. Even if I hated the finished outcome, I would have enjoyed the process.
  • While a boob-reminiscent filigree waistband is probably not the best thing to put adjacent to my not-insubstantial chest, whatevs. I'll wear a slim top, tucked in. You can't go with boring-old "suits your figure" all the time.
  • The seam binding at the hem gives a bit of body to complement that of the denim's drape. Really like the heightened A-line effect.
  • This denim is not particularly soft. It's got a lot of innate structure.
  • The great thing about making a simple pattern is that it gives you mental space to do pretty finishing. I don't consider this often enough.
  • I made the size 8 with 1/2 inch seam allowances on side seams. It's not an overly long skirt. I wanted mine to be approx. knee-length and I didn't have to shorten it at all. Also, only turned up the hem by 1/2 inch. If you're tall, you'll want to add length.
  • The only bad thing I can say about this - and take note here! - is that one should NOT use invisible zips with denim. How many times do I have to do this before I finally learn?? I have concerns about the longevity of the zipper given the bulk of the fabric. Shhhh. Let's be really careful with it and hope for the best.
  • I must be a slow-sewist because it took me a good 5 hours to put this together - probably more. Who are all of these ladies who manage to make gorgeous "simple skirts" in 2 hours??
  • I stitched in the ditch around the waistband. Don't know why I haven't done that before. It gets rid of the riding up facing issue beautifully. Just make sure your facing is a smidge longer than the waistband itself.
What do you think?? If you've made this skirt, share your experience. If you haven't, is it in your pattern stash?

PS: The never-ending computer-generated croquis project continues apace. I'm making headway but, egad, what a labour-intensive activity. I've probably put 10 hrs into it so far... Stay tuned for more on this as I have more to say.

13 comments:

  1. Ooooh, Ginger! Yummy! Will you show us a picture of you wearing it? I love the contrasting facing - I'm always too lazy to cut facings in a different fabric.

    I made four of these, and they all took me about 4 - 5 hours, so you're not alone. This is the only version I haven't done though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are so admirably productive! & you're selling me on the Colette patterns. off to take a look...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love this skirt pattern! It's divine and I totally hate that I actually didn't think of it first, its just so simple. The waistband variations are lovely and I adore the simple a-line. And I think it takes me longer to whip one of these out than 5 hours and I've made it 4 times. I just have no idea how people sew fast, but I am convinced they leave things out like lovely finished seams, and beautiful facings. This is delightful!

    xoxo, Sunni

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Ginger skirt indeed looks cute. Lovely version!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Faye!

    Gail: That assumes I will someday take a shower and put on something other than "loungewear" :-) You'll love version 3 - give it a try!

    Ambika: You have to get one and I recommend this one because it's the simplest of them all, but still very exciting.

    Sunni: It is SO simple - but, of all the A lines I've sewn (admittedly, it's not that many), this one has the nicest fall. I'm so glad to hear that a mega-sewist such as yourself still takes a "long time" to complete a skirt. I think you're right about how those finishings add on the time. As does set up and clean up, and cutting and marking - oh man, it's just all time consuming!

    Katy: Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is sooo cute! And I suspect it will get tons of wear. I love the extra details, the beauty on the inside, just for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How to sew is not an overnight thing. It is a long process. But by regularly practicing this craft, you will be able to master sewing in no time. Start with simple projects such as pillow cases and table runners. These simple projects also require pattern making, sewing with a machine, and sewing straight lines. This will train you how to sew a dress eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  8. F: Isn't it! I only hope the zipper cooperates. When you start sewing again, I totally recommend this project.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it when you show the inside :).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Susan: Notice how infrequently I do it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This one is my dream skirt. I can never seem to find the right denim skirt—the cut is wrong, the color off, or the drape non-existent. It's perfect. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks E: I wish everyone could own a perfectly fitting version of this skirt!

    ReplyDelete