Saturday, December 3, 2011

Lifecycle of a Homemade Gift

Beginning:


Middle:


End
:






This is the culmination of years of baking, a tried-and-true recipe, online ordering skills and a few labels.

I figured out that each batch makes enough cookies to put 14 (in the circle size I've chosen) into 3 bags. Good info.

The great thing about the dough is that it lasts for a week in the fridge so I made a second batch of it to use when I have some more time in the next few days (she says, hopefully). The cookie-baking part is pretty straight forward: roll, cut, refrigerate, bake and cool, then wrap. It's the dough-preparation that really adds an extra layer of complexity I'm not prepared to deal with on a weekday night.

The amount of planning and labour involved is not negligible but these cookies are insanely delish buttery/sandy/crumbly. (They are not pasty, wan shortbread.) Total cost for each gift: about 5 bucks. So, if you want to save some money but still show your love (and skillz), this is the project for you!

So, whatcha think?? Next up: caramel.

Update on posting recipe: Hey peeps, I'd LOVE to post the recipe but I cannot find it online anywhere and I don't want to infringe on copyright. Thing is, Michel Roux (the guy whose recipe I use) wrote this gorgeous book, in which you will find, not only this recipe, but so many others that will improve your life. I totally recommend it. You can find other sable recipes online but, I've noted, the ratios of butter to flour are not the same in those as in this one. What I can say is that it takes only 4 ingredients: butter (so much of this), flour, confectioner's sugar (not regular sugar!) and egg yolk.

13 comments:

  1. The presentation of these gift is so professional (and I'm sure they'll also be delicious!). Pray tell, where did you get the little baggies from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? No recipe?? Then I can only hope I'm on your gift list. ;-)

    Selfishness aside, both the biscuits and the wrappings look delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, but where's the recipe??? Please???????

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, gonna update the post with the recipe soon!

    Andrea: I got the "windowed coffee bags" (as they call them) via Prima Wrap, a place in Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON. They have a website with photos, but you have to order over the phone. 25 of those cost 12 bucks. Very reasonable and they are totally practical and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are such a perfectionist!! Please send to me xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. So fabulous! The finishing details make this gift, although I'm sure the delectable goodness of that melt-in-your-mouth confection will be joyfully welcomed as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa: If only I could get them to you before they got totally stale!

    F: Thank you! I really hope people enjoy them. I love making pretty/tasty things. I think it's cuz I love to receive them, so I'm just projecting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a wonderful gift idea and presentation. i'll have to check out the cookbook when i'm back in the States and my oven-ed apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sophie: Definitely do. And thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a big fan of baked Christmas gifts. These look beautiful in the package and tempting to eat. I might splurge on the book, but then again we've been avoiding carbs :(.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Susan: Aren't the baked gifts fantastic! Don't splurge on the book unless you want to go off the rails :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aesthetically pleasing post and gift, K. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks E! And they're vegetarian :-)

    ReplyDelete