Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Ms. Mojo Risin'

Quick post to tell you: I know what I'm sewing next. And next. And then after that.

My imagination, which seemed to vacate the sewing premises for a while, has returned in force.

If only I had time to indulge the impulse.

Will show fabrics anon but - with scarcely any time to blog, much less photo (I've been to 6 holiday gatherings since last Friday night), let me say that I had an hour on my hands in the garment district yesterday eve and I did some damage: silk charmeuse (navy), the most gorgeous square-patterned, modern-seeming lace (navy), some denim (navy), a very thin sweater knit with good drape (navy) (yes, I do see the theme)... Then I got some pink lace (not as special as the blue but well matched to the poly crepe I also purchased). I got some pink petersham at Mokuba - talk about selling the farm for dainties. Note: Mokuba has some stretch and woven faux fur in a number of great colours/widths/styles that are so lovely they're almost turning me to the fake side. But not quite. For 105.00 a metre, you too can own some of the wider stuff - and by wider I mean 12 inches (maybe). Finally, I bought a yard of really nice t shirt material in grey. Oh, and zippers and thread.

In brief:
  • Gonna use the lace / silky combos to make a pink and then navy slip with Sherry's great pattern. Good news, Ladies, she's going to do an FBA tutorial!
  • Gonna use the navy thin knit to make another version of this that drapes better and actually fits in the neck. It's a precursor to using Mardel's cashmere. I need to perfect things first.
  • Gonna use the denim to make another pair of Clovers that, hopefully, fit a bit snugger. I might even try to use the pink petersham to make the waist facing, if I can figure it out.
  • The grey will be for a T shirt for Scott, using the bespoke pattern I made him for his birthday.
I'm not in a rush. I have the whole holiday season to work on these. And to tell you / show you more about them. Please stay tuned.

13 comments:

  1. Hooray for sewing mojo! Can't wait to see your upcoming creations! Especially that pink/navy slip, that sounds like it's going to be beautiful. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faye: You know I will!

    CGC: I was unclear - there are 2 slips in the works (one for starters and the other since I like to make everything twice). The first will be the pink (which is less pricey fabric by a long run). Then I'll work on the fancy navy lace and silk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I'm hearing you re FBA's!
    Your fabrics sound gorgeous - I just posted a pic of one in poly and it works really well.
    You have a Mokuba SHOP! I have to order from a catalogue here. I recognise the striped grosgrain from my Westhaven skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo hoo FBA! I have that printed out and waiting in my sewing room. Your fabrics sound lovely. Any time I'm in that area of the city it's in the evening and I just wander past closed window fronts and drool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I look forward to seeing your makes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I've drooled onto my keyboard while reading Sherry's blog recently. So many beautiful things to sew, so little time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sherry: I know - I didn't realize how world-wide famous it was. And we have one walking distance from me. Of course, I can't really afford to buy anything!

    Suzy: Me too :-)

    Clio: You'll find the time, just bookmark the posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything sounds beautiful. I can't wait to see how you do with these projects.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's going to be fun to see you sewing again.Vicarious sewing, for me . . .

    ReplyDelete
  10. E: I cant wait either!

    F: I'm looking forward to it. And my body just can't handle knitting at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to see you sewing again as well. And for a white at least it will be a vicarious thrill for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mardel: I can't wait to see what I come up with. Here's hoping it's successful - I'd love that kind of sewing holiday :-)

    ReplyDelete