Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Ms. Mojo Risin'

Quick post to tell you: I know what I'm sewing next. And next. And then after that.

My imagination, which seemed to vacate the sewing premises for a while, has returned in force.

If only I had time to indulge the impulse.

Will show fabrics anon but - with scarcely any time to blog, much less photo (I've been to 6 holiday gatherings since last Friday night), let me say that I had an hour on my hands in the garment district yesterday eve and I did some damage: silk charmeuse (navy), the most gorgeous square-patterned, modern-seeming lace (navy), some denim (navy), a very thin sweater knit with good drape (navy) (yes, I do see the theme)... Then I got some pink lace (not as special as the blue but well matched to the poly crepe I also purchased). I got some pink petersham at Mokuba - talk about selling the farm for dainties. Note: Mokuba has some stretch and woven faux fur in a number of great colours/widths/styles that are so lovely they're almost turning me to the fake side. But not quite. For 105.00 a metre, you too can own some of the wider stuff - and by wider I mean 12 inches (maybe). Finally, I bought a yard of really nice t shirt material in grey. Oh, and zippers and thread.

In brief:
  • Gonna use the lace / silky combos to make a pink and then navy slip with Sherry's great pattern. Good news, Ladies, she's going to do an FBA tutorial!
  • Gonna use the navy thin knit to make another version of this that drapes better and actually fits in the neck. It's a precursor to using Mardel's cashmere. I need to perfect things first.
  • Gonna use the denim to make another pair of Clovers that, hopefully, fit a bit snugger. I might even try to use the pink petersham to make the waist facing, if I can figure it out.
  • The grey will be for a T shirt for Scott, using the bespoke pattern I made him for his birthday.
I'm not in a rush. I have the whole holiday season to work on these. And to tell you / show you more about them. Please stay tuned.


  1. Hooray for sewing mojo! Can't wait to see your upcoming creations! Especially that pink/navy slip, that sounds like it's going to be beautiful. :-)

  2. Faye: You know I will!

    CGC: I was unclear - there are 2 slips in the works (one for starters and the other since I like to make everything twice). The first will be the pink (which is less pricey fabric by a long run). Then I'll work on the fancy navy lace and silk.

  3. Yes, I'm hearing you re FBA's!
    Your fabrics sound gorgeous - I just posted a pic of one in poly and it works really well.
    You have a Mokuba SHOP! I have to order from a catalogue here. I recognise the striped grosgrain from my Westhaven skirt!

  4. Woo hoo FBA! I have that printed out and waiting in my sewing room. Your fabrics sound lovely. Any time I'm in that area of the city it's in the evening and I just wander past closed window fronts and drool.

  5. I look forward to seeing your makes!

  6. Oh, I've drooled onto my keyboard while reading Sherry's blog recently. So many beautiful things to sew, so little time!

  7. Sherry: I know - I didn't realize how world-wide famous it was. And we have one walking distance from me. Of course, I can't really afford to buy anything!

    Suzy: Me too :-)

    Clio: You'll find the time, just bookmark the posts.

  8. Everything sounds beautiful. I can't wait to see how you do with these projects.

  9. It's going to be fun to see you sewing again.Vicarious sewing, for me . . .

  10. E: I cant wait either!

    F: I'm looking forward to it. And my body just can't handle knitting at the moment.

  11. I can't wait to see you sewing again as well. And for a white at least it will be a vicarious thrill for me as well.

  12. Mardel: I can't wait to see what I come up with. Here's hoping it's successful - I'd love that kind of sewing holiday :-)