Saturday, December 17, 2011

Saturday Morning Experiment

Oh, Friends, where are those Cinderella mice when you need them?

As I can't wait to read the upcoming tutorial on how to FBA the Ruby Slip - I've given it a few hours of, um, mega pattern alteration brain cells. In a strange twist, I've actually managed to use my dress form for its intended purpose, as opposed to its general function as "nice clothes hanger for photos". Disclaimer: I have no actual training, so today's hard-thinking might all be an interesting experiment.

Here's what you need to know. I'm not cutting anything until I see Sherry's methodology. My version retains a) the original size 12 pattern under bust circumference (though the side back and back pieces are now 1/2 an inch higher i.e. vertically longer) and b) v neck shape - but it does introduce a dart I cannot seem to get rid of by moving it out to the side. Maybe my imagination is simply failing me after hours of work. I suppose having attended fashion school has its benefits. :-)

At this moment, I am actually unable to articulate the scope of what I'm thinking and what I want to do. I wish I could plug you all into my brain for a few seconds like they do in scary scifi movies. It stresses me out, sometimes, to have so many things to say and do and to be incapable of making it all happen instantaneously.

But enough of my intriguing neuro-chemical landscape...

My sewing room is such a tip after 3 hours of doing practically nothing tangible that I find it hard to believe:


My altered pieces look rather different, and considerably larger, than the original size 12 pieces that I cut:

This is the side back. The one on the left is the altered version...

And here's the front piece, larger, altered version on the bottom. See how much smaller the unaltered piece is - admittedly, it doesn't have a dart, but still!


Side by side shot of the pieces..

Finally, here are a couple of shots of the fabric combos I intend to use to make 2 slips. I'm seriously counting on it that the FBA thing will work - mine or Sherry's! - or I'm sitting on some pretty expensive lace. That blue stuff cost 30 bucks a yard on sale. It's also quite heavy. I have no idea how I will dart or gather it. I intend to use lingerie straps with slides because I happen to have them and I like the look.

Note: I have underlining options for both the pink and blue lace, if extra structure is required.


Whatcha think?

12 comments:

  1. Two things...1) you are apparently way more motivated on a Saturday morning than I am. 2) Those fabric choices are going to be gorgeous. Especially the blue...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just gorgeous, both!
    The navy looks like guipure - is it thick? I will make sure I include a few tips on how to use heavy lace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spent half my day working on the pattern for hubs' coat and I think I'm feeling equally puzzled ;) (and unproductive!)

    My only thought about the dart is that its apex should be pointing to the princess seam, right, so you can rotate the dart into that seam. Basically a princess seam is a shoulder and vertical bust dart merged into a seam... I am waiting to see what Sherry says, too, as I'm going to make a version for a friend who's in the D-zone.

    The fabrics look YUMMY! I must admit since this pattern came out I've been fantasizing about lace...

    ReplyDelete
  4. CGC: It just kind of happened! And thank you - I love the fabrics!

    Sherry: It IS guipure! I couldn't remember the name of it, so I couldn't look it up. But the woman at the store was going on about it as if it were made by fairies :-)

    T: You are so right. Now that the FBA post has come out (it's up today), I'm going to do it and then compare my outcome against Sherry's to see how close I was to figuring it out. I didn't use any books. I wanted to see if my brain could do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful fabric choices!

    I've got neither fairies nor mice in my craft lounge today. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so brave. The fabric choices are very beautiful and I can't wait to see how this goes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just read Sherry's methodology, which looks different than yours. Is the main difference that you rotated your dart in the bodice side front to the side?i

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh beautiful laces!! I made myself a jacket out of similar blue guipure (looks like the exact same color).
    Can't wait to see the results. I wish I could clone myself and sew this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, a tip! Four pieces of pattern on the floor, what a dump! :|

    Just kidding. I hope this comes out how you want it to. It's going to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, those are beautiful fabrics. Both will be stunning.

    I have a few gifts to focus on before tackling this, but let me tell you, I'm trying to absorb all those FBA thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! gorgeous fabrics. And, as always, I'm amazed at the intensity of your approach. Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Clio: Where are those rodents when you need them!!

    Susan: Me neither :-) The main difference is that I used a dress form and darting (moved to side) whereas she used the FBA method (as defined in Fit for Real People).

    Robin: I agreee - as long as you want to sew it for me :-)

    E: Whatevs! Trust me, it was very messy. Even if the photo doesn't show it. :-)

    Sera: Come up with some of your own too. I want to hear them.

    F: Thank you. I feel a bit less intense than usual, actually. I'm trying to take my time with this. Kristin-style, I mean.

    ReplyDelete