You may recall that I made my first batch of caramel, a few weeks ago, on a wing and a prayer and (nonetheless) it worked quite well. My next batch, crafted with a candy thermometer, didn't really set because - I thought - the thermometer was defective (which led me to remove the mixture from the heat prematurely).
Last week, I made the latest batch, pure candy perfection, with a new thermometer which - initially - seemed to be as defective as the last. Expensive and defective. As the batch simmered, so did I, till it occurred to me - in a moment of clarity - that my problem wasn't the thermometer, it was my perception of the way candy cooks.
The recipe I've been using, one which yields excellent results and for which I am very grateful, nonetheless suggests that the caramel should boil at 248 degrees for 15 minutes. What it really means to suggest is that caramel takes 15 minutes to get to 248 degrees - whereupon you better get it the fuck off the heat stat or you're going to have peanut brittle.
Maybe y'all know this, but just in case...
Here are a few shots of the tasty results of my fortuitous epiphany: