Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Satya

My thoughts are with the followers, friends and family of Guru Pattabhi Jois, yoga legend (and founder of the Ashtanga methodology). He died yesterday in India at the age of 94. Everyone who's experienced the practice can agree that it is powerful, challenging (dangerous, for some) and life affirming. Though I do not consider myself an ashtanga practitioner (my primary method is Iyengar), it is impossible to do yoga in the West, in this day and age, without being influenced by the Ashtanga methodology.

The yogis believe that the body is a container for the spirit, one to be respected and maintained through diligent practice, and then vacated at the appropriate hour.

Namaste, great teacher. Good luck on your new journey.

6 comments:

  1. His spirit will live on in each and every Ashtanga class that is taught and beyond. A lovely remembrance, K.line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good friend of mine spent a month in Mysore last year at the shalla there.

    Thanks for relating this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am probably the last person on earth to find yoga, but i have been doing a little of it lately and love it.

    peace to the man that passed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bel: Thank you. I remember when I first discovered the ashtanga practice - it was 1992. It was before the whole rage, though it swept through the hardcore yoga community fast. The practice then was one size fits all. If you weren't incrdibly knowledgeable about yoga in general, it was a dangerous pursuit. And it took 3 hours to do the primary series. No corner cutting back then. But I have fond memories of my ashtanga years.

    D.: I've heard great things about going to Mysore. I'm sure, if you go to an ashtanga class this week, there will be some lovely reminiscing...

    droll: I love that you've started doing yoga! Let me know if you want to chat about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love ashtanga but there are very few teachers where i live, i find it be my favourite method despite my aching muscles telling me otherwise

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pink: You're in southern England, yes? I know that England is the seat of western Iyengarism. That's the method I teach. It's much safer - if less acrobatic. Check out myyogaonline.com for a website that offers classes (via mp4) in all methods. Incredibly useful service I love - as a working mother who can't get to classes very easily and who is often so tired, but the time she does yoga, that she needs a little help coming up with a good sequence.

    ReplyDelete