Monday, February 2, 2009

That's Ms. Espanya to You, Bitches.

You know a heretofore virtual friendship has potential when you unwittingly show up in complementary colours, no?

After what seems like months of health misery and blahs and stress and crap weather, I have had a tremendously exciting and enjoyable weekend. In January. In Toronto. I know, it boggles the mind.

Of course, I'm going to drag it out into 7 posts - so insanely action packed has it all been - but I have to start here, on Saturday morning, hanging at Pantry with the entirely gorgeous (and totally hilarious) Tanya Espanya.

Two hours literally flew by and T actually got in 10 words edgewise, so I know she too considers it a success :-) Lest you doubt we are entirely happening urban grlzzz, conversation veered from vacations to vibrators (Monkey, I threw this one in there for you honey), from fashion to food. It was good times, peeps.

No doubt you will see more of her, and of our adventures, when she returns from her jaunt to San Diego. In the meanwhile, try not to hate her.

Oh, and like this wasn't exciting enough, on my way home I stopped into the insanely expensive artisanal cheese shop close to Ossington, spent $26.00 on two small wedges of super special, raw something or other from Spain (it was the theme of the day, ok?), and managed to run smack into Sarah Polley in the process. The lovely, unpretentious and well-known-to-be-reclusive, uber talent was there with her delightful looking boyfriend, and we managed to have one of those incredibly Toronto conversations, the hallmark of which is polite reservation.

Essentially, I bitched about this guy and his two nightmare children, who literally smashed into our bastien of dairy-peacefulness, traumatizing the Yorkie who lives there and threatening to knock over hundreds of dollars worth of chutney. To her credit, Ms. Polley was serene through it all, and sweetly hummed a children's rhyme, making evident the beauty of her singing voice, which is also well known. Fuckin' stars. They are so not like us.

Strangely, I used to do yoga with Sarah when we were both much younger - she, a teenager, I a young adult in teacher training. I mean, it's not like she remembered me, but it's so true that there are, like, 3 neighbourhoods in this entire city. Dare I suggest that mine's the coolest? Ms. T, she of the east end, is gonna kick my ass for saying that.

16 comments:

  1. Tanya Espanya and Sarah Polley in the same day? Damn woman, you lived a charmed life. Next time you see Sarah give her a kiss from me. And have someone take a photo of you doing it please. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet post - hysterical title!

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha sounds like lots of fun, and from reading Tanya's post on the matter, it sounds like you two are the perfect partners in crime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a fantastically wonderful meet-up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You two are radiant! Clearly good talkings were had.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo, sounds like an awesome time and can't wait to read more. & your sweater & cardi are fab.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anyone who traumatizes a Yorkie is evil!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great trip. It really seems as if the best visits aren't the places we go to but the people we meet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wheeeeeeeeeeee! ahahah! You doll, feel free to hate me, will see you soon.

    And will update re the vibrator!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had a Sarah encounter too! She attended an art show we curated in fourth year (she's friends with someone who graduated from the Image Arts program at Ryerson and attended with him) and she asked us if the wine was there for taking.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Sarah Polley. Mr. C. was just teaching "Away from Her" and I was rereading Munro's story. I like everything she's done, even that crazy Joe/Josephine thing I saw on TV once.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always enjoy meeting my internet buddies. it drives my wife crazy, but so far no demented freaks or otherwise defectives.

    Just ordinary people with the gift for gab in a text-based environment and an unusually subtle sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Me too, I think blogging is a great.. NO, awesome way to support, meet and make friends, drink and sometimes have threesomes.... (joking)!

    I seriously need to get .......

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohh sounds like a great weekend - and you gals look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. hahaha. i can feel ur angst. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Monkey: Ha! I do lead a charmed life. And it's more likely I can get a shot of me kissing Tanya than Sarah. It's all about access :-)

    Thanks CC!

    Ms. U: We are rather similar, in a weird way...

    Bel: It was great. I wish that I could meet all my other fave bloggers from around the world - including you, natch.

    Sal: It was delightful conversation. Very easy.

    Ambika: Thanks! I was unsure about it but I think it works. And isn't it amazing how Tanya pulled out the terrific, complementary pink?

    Wendy: So true. I wanted to hurt those kids. Or more to the point, the clueless dad.

    Rebecca: How beautifully said...

    T: I'm waiting with bated breath :-)

    Y: Well that's not very arty, academy award style :-) Cool that you have a Sarah story. I wonder how many other bloggers do.

    Miss C: What interesting coincidences!

    D.: It's so true. But many people are wary. I guess you have to know your blog friend well in the virtual world before translating it to the regular world.

    GJ: You are hilarious!

    Diana, Thanks.

    Summer: Naughty child angst is big with me. :-)

    ReplyDelete