Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Shout Out to the Experts: Inserting a Bagged Lining

Sewing Divas: Can you advise - as I can't seem to find anything anywhere (in my 5 minutes of looking): Is inserting a bagged lining as simple as stitching the right side edges of the lining and the skirt at the hem cut line of each, then flipping up the lining and attaching it all at the waist?

The skirt I will make (V8640) does not have lining instructions. Last time, I made a "regular" lining by cutting the fabric pieces again in lining fabric (minus the waistband) and assembling that, wrong sides together, at the waist. I serged the lining hem at the bottom.

This time, I thought I'd branch out, but I don't want to court disaster i.e. no original pattern modified x2 = potential eeek.

To complicate matters, this skirt has a vent at the centre back. I did find Kay's awesome post on working around the vent, but I'm still nervous about the general process.

Any feedback would be so welcome and appreciated. Kxo

7 comments:

  1. I would not worry about attaching the lining to the skirt at the hem. There's no need, and it could cause problems. Bagging is (IMHO anyway) for jackets only.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I am not familiar with bagged linings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm no expert, but I tend to agree with Kay. If I didn't want a free hanging lining, I would probably opt to underline the skirt instead, using that trick method where you make the vertical seams look like hong kong seam finish - it's a very clean finish. And you can then hem to the underlinging so the hem is truly invisible. Here's a how to...

    http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/review/readreview.pl?readreview=1&ID=1044

    Sorry, I know that is not what you asked. But I hope it helps and it is another way to finish a skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I make a pencil skirt with a back vent, I like using this tutorial. http://www.afashionablestitch.com/2010/sewalongs/pencil-skirt-lesson-3-back-vent-tutorial-part-ii/

    Good Luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've used the same tutorial from a fashionable stitch, and there's one teeny mistake. It's otherwise spot on. If you go that route, email me and I'll walk you through the fix for the mistake... too tired to think about typing it up. ellenbehm [at] gmail (dot) com.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know if I'd worry about attaching the lining at the hem either, although I have seen in done in very high end garments, and I have also done it. Doing so opens you up to far more opportunities to make a mistake though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone, for your thoughtful comments! It's good to know that y'all are in favour of the old fashioned method.

    Clio: I'm off to check out that method, thanks!

    Fraulein: A great link!

    Elle: If I go that route, I will email - at this point, I think I'll go from my pattern which, though it doesn't have a lining, does seem to describe the vent construction quite well (from my recollection).

    ReplyDelete