Sunday, July 20, 2014

Gym 1.0 (And I Promise Not to Write About This Again Anytime Soon...)

My goal today (she writes optimistically) is to post twice - as I have 2, entirely different things to talk about. If you care about the New Regime (Kristin's exercise in midlife solipsism), keep on! If this topic irritates, no worries - next up, new fabric...

OK, so today I went to the gym. As with all things one dreads, it was no where near as bad as I'd expected. Instead of going for a spin class (which might have overwhelmed me), Scott suggested that we go together and he'd show me how to work the bike, elliptical machine and rower.

First up, let me say this: I blended in entirely. Except for my tendency to use a zillion more cleaning wipes on every machine than anyone else, I seemed totally gymish - and I wore the same outfit that I had during my gym phase in the 90s. Yeah, back in the 20th century. That outfit consists of a black sports bra (though my new one is SO superior to those of yore), a black sleeveless top, black Lulu lemon short shorts (these work for everything) and my black and white Nike Air's from 1992. They're like, third generation Nikes - so hilariously in your face - but Scott swore that they do not look any different from anyone else's. And seriously, they're still in good shape!

But I know the gym is not about the outfit. I used 3 machines, as referenced above: the bike, rower and elliptical, in that order. I did each for 15 minutes. I don't remember anything about the settings but I know that Scott set them at a reasonable level.

Undoubtedly, the rower was the most fun and the elliptical was the hardest. Stationary bikes are totally boring. Without the real world going by, and the avoidance of street danger, riding a bicycle is much easier than it would otherwise be. Cranking up the gears makes your legs hurt but it doesn't reproduce the freedom, and challenge, of real cycling. I suppose a class makes it more fun cuz you follow an imaginary course and someone else's instructions.

At any rate, though I struggled not to feel sad about the hamster-like state of everyone in the gym, I was surprised to enjoy the rowing. It was meditative. And I was even more surprised to find that the elliptical machine is very good for increasing the heart rate. It was like running, skiing and stair climbing at the same time. The machine monitors your heart rate as you glide and mine was smack in the appropriate high zone for my age - so I was going at the right intensity for me.

Apparently, I can get in and out within 45 minutes (this time took an hour because of orientation).

Did I find it fun? I wouldn't say that - but it was entirely tolerable. I didn't feel overly germ-encrusted and it didn't rain! I intend to go back on Wednesday - weather depending.

10 comments:

  1. I for one am finding your fitness quest posts very very interesting and even inspirational. I totally vote for keeping us posted as this all unfolds.

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy these posts too--it is interesting to hear your, as usual, systematic and thorough take on a new and important topic, and of course, fitness does overlap a great deal with style/clothes, the topics I usually look to your blog to cover. I think your plan sounds great and I hope it yields just the results you want. I've found that the more you exercise the more you can eat and the better it tastes so I hope that proves true for you. And you're inspiring me to try the rowing machine at my Y, which I've been eyeing and hearing praised for a while now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely compliment G. Thank you. And I do hope I can eat a bit more than usual, but I don't know if it will be the case (given age and stage). How's the rowing going?

      Delete
  3. I love that you still have 90s gym clothes! The styles haven't changed much, have they?... except the bitty booty shorts that are everywhere now at least in our gyms here. My challenge in working out has always been mental stimulation--I need it even in exercise--so I change my routine every couple of months. Doing small cardio sets in between weight machines is also fun--def something to try because it does boost the metabolism. (Also, if you ever fit this in or if your Y has them on staff--one on one training is really great esp. for strength training--you'll be shocked at what you are able to do when someone else pushes you... it feels great! Totally worth the money for me.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it insane?? They do have the one on one training to help you to learn about the machines. But to personal train is an extra fee.

      Delete
  4. I much prefer real biking, but have found that spin classes are my preferred cardio gym workout. I think the treadmill and elliptical and stationary bikes on their own rare boring, but being in a class with an instructor helps me a lot. Plus, I'm terrible at any of the dance-type aerobics (or even Vinyasa flow style yoga) because I can't follow along, so spinning works for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know I'm not alone with the dance-type mishaps. Fortunately, that's not the case with yoga, for me!

      Delete
  5. You gotta bring those runners to my place when you come over - so retro! And I own the 30 day shred video and love it, btw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have bought the freakin' runners. And we should have done the shred video (between courses of cheese).

      Delete