Monday, July 28, 2014

A Blog By Any Other Name...

A few of you have commented, or emailed, to let me know that you actually enjoy hearing about my fitness exploits. I find that amazing (though, of course, I try to write engagingly about all the topics - even those about the drab things) because, on my blog travels, I tend to tune out those sorts of posts immediately.

I do not read fitness blogs. When I considered starting my own blog, 6 and a half years ago, I weighed my subject options carefully - yoga or fashion. I went with fashion because, despite my love of yoga (and my great respect for it), it doesn't strike me as the liveliest subject for a blog. I don't regret my choice. Of course, over the last 6.5 years I've realized that I can just write about whatever the fuck I want and call it "lifestyle". Can't tell you how much I appreciate that.

The last decade has seen me through numerous personal shifts (what decade hasn't, really), which is why my fashion blog became a sewing and knitting blog and sometimes it's a travel blog and other times about interior design and food. Things that are relevant get written about. And I suppose, the New Regime is relevant inasmuch as I seem to be committed to it, if only out of vanity.

So, I suspect I will occasionally turn my attention to the topic of my gym experience, not to bore you with the specifics of how I've done some unpleasant exercise, but to accurately contextualize my life.

On the flip side, you may note a lack of posting about sewing lately. That's because I haven't done any. Vacation was followed by the need for an extra rest. When the weather is good, I'm gardening and sitting in the shade. After last winter, I'm not fucking around: Make hay while the sun shines, people. Happily, I can knit while sitting in the shade, which is why you continue to hear about that. I realize that I made a whole summer plan, and I'm the kind of person who sticks to the plan, but I'm just not motivated right now. Especially since I seem to be spending quite a bit of my spare time jumping up and down. Y'all know, there's only so much time, which is why I resisted the jumping up and down in the first place.

The good news is that I'm on target with the knitting and, natch, I still intend to sew all of the stuff in the plan. But maybe I'm going to have to rename this capsule "Summer and Fall Crafting".

So, today's questions: Is your sewing derailed by good weather? Do you find that your fitness regime cuts into your time for more creative endeavours? How do you manage that? Do you care?

18 comments:

  1. Yes, my sewing has been affected by the summer. There's been quite a few nice, not-too-humid days and after the winter from hell I'm definitely going to take advantage of non-crappy weather. I also have a lot more to do outside this time of year (ie I picked a gallon of blueberries and enough raspberries to make at least one pie last weekend).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how I wish I had wild blueberries and raspberries to pick and bake with!

      Delete
  2. Funny you should mention this . . . .
    I'm currently trying to listen more carefully to what my body needs and give it a tiny break from my fitness demands. I'm not natural at the fitness thing, but it's become part of my lifestyle over the past 10 years, and I get a bit anxious about letting go too much. But family stuff going on , other stresses, some sads (prob. hormonal), and my body was seizing up a bit -- Health and Fitness requirement seems to be simply to hit the hammock and nap when possible. . . Otherwise, yes, my fitness regime (about 7-9 hours a week, especially if I'm training for a longer run) does take time from other stuff, but it also gives me more energy in the long run, I think. And I use the time for some creative thinking, perhaps?
    I'm most captured, I think by blogs that show a rounded life overall. While I like a good, well-focused blog (fashion, Paris, fitness, food, whatever), I like to see those interests in a realistic context -- the personality revealed matters to me as much as the expertise, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second everything said in the above comment and am looking forward to you using your blog to muse on everything that captures your interest!

      Delete
    2. F: I've been extremely exhausted lately too. I mean, I NEVER nap, and I've been napping 2 hours every weekend afternoon for the last month. It's bizarre. I hate wasting time (and I fear that it might bring on migraines) but what am I to do? Can't keep my eyes open!

      By the time I factor in my walking commute, and I generally don't, I'm putting in at least 14 hours of "fitness". It's cutting into my time to do other things. But I'm not going to be resentful. No more sense in being resentful of spending my time this way than being resentful for my body looking a way I'm not happy with.

      G: You know I will find some way to prattle on. Please stay tuned :-)

      Delete
  3. You know, I didn't really set out to write a sewing blog. It was meant to be a more general hobby blog including a lot more cooking, baking, travel and random musings. At the beginning there were even posts about yoga and running. But as sewing became and obsession, and sewists "found" me, it kind of changed. So, I'm open to all, even though I think of my blog as a sewing blog with a little knitting and baking on the side.

    I tend to be very productive in all areas of my life in the summer (fitness, travel baking & sewing) on top of social commitments, but it's actually the blogging that falls by the wayside. I guess something has to slip to make more time for the outdoors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true that sewing becomes an obsession. I can scarcely think of anything else when it has me in its grip. And I need to be a bit more well-rounded these days. Blogging is a totally reasonable thing to cut back on, as I think of it, but I cannot stop myself from writing.

      Delete
  4. When the weather is good, I think I should be outside, so yes, the sewing suffers. I need to figure out a way to sew outside without a) getting a sunburn or b) being eaten alive by mosquitoes.
    My fitness activities don't cut into my creative time nearly as much as my work does, but since I am far too young (ans too financially constrained) to retire, I guess I'll have to make do as best I can . ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you really want to sew outside? I mean, wouldn't you prefer to sit there and drink some wine :-)

      Delete
  5. I do things in spurts, regardless of the weather. I do spend more time gardening in the spring/summer, but my garden is deliberately self-sufficient, so by mid-summer, there's not too much to do. I'm on a bit of a sewing kick at the moment, which means less time for card-making and jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A self-sufficient garden is a beautiful thing, Susan!

      Delete
  6. Sewing? Everything is derailed by good weather and we get good.. no, great weather here about 95% of the time. I don't want to do anything if there is sun outside. Even things I need to do ... washing... that's the only thing as it loves the sun too. I'm not a gardener which is a shame as mine's a pit unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Well I am VERY jealous of your great weather. I suppose my weather gives me lots of time to be productive, in the scheme of things!

      Delete
  7. My summer sewing has gone by the wayside. I find other things to do in the nice weather. My sewing "room" is an upstairs alcove and the warmest place in the house so I don't want to spend much time there with the iron on when it is warm out. Sewing really is best as a rainy day activity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's your blog...write what the heck you like...we love it all! Six weeks of summer school holiday's effectively screws up any thoughts of sewing. House renovations thrown into the mix mean nothing but me twitching in a corner at the meyhem! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how you can have renos going on with those kiddies! They keep you busy. Hope your neck/shoulder is doing better...

      Delete
  9. Um, yes, so I'm totally derailed. My time for sewing and fitness is cut by my time tending a new house, guests, and a new job. The only craft that gets saved is knitting because of Paul's need to watch an hour of TV a night, which forces me to sit down next to him and knit. Thank goodness, because it is what is keeping me sane these days. I have big plans to hibernate come September. And to join the local gym, And to get back into the sewing room. Here's hoping.

    ReplyDelete