Monday, July 14, 2014

Exercise and Bras and Putting Them Together (Part 2)

Let me start by saying thank you! As always, you come up with the best advice and I really appreciate your sharing your exercise and bra feedback. I absolutely intend to incorporate your suggestions into my emerging fitness plan. At the top of the current popularity heap are: going to the gym, with gloves, and working on elliptical and rowing machines and doing an online video called 30 Day Shred (could they not come up with a less unpleasant title?!) a couple of times a week (followed by my own yoga practice). 

I really loved all of your comments - which were written with such thoughtfulness. FWIW, I can see a world in which interval running might occur (at least sometimes when weather permits). I mean (see below), I've got the bra for it! Oh, and on the topic of bringing equipment into my home: I wasn't particularly clear when I suggested that I don't have the space. I cannot abide visible equipment in my midst. There is no place to put this equipment that it wouldn't be visible. That's why it can't happen.

Before we talk about bras, perhaps you'll indulge me with another couple of questions.

The Questions: How often do you work out? And for how much time in each session? If you've managed to bring fitness to your regime after a time of weight-gain due to hormonal influence (pregnancy, menopause, endometriosis, PCOS, birth control etc.), how much cardio did you have to incorporate to attain your desired benefits.

The Considerations: If you're wondering why I've been langouring over this change for some time (even as the issues, that cause me dissatisfaction, persist), let me explain:
  • I'm not reflexive about the activities I pursue. That's why it took me till I was almost 40 to take up sewing and now I am obsessed. That's why I've been doing yoga and walking regularly for 25 years. I start as I mean to go on. And, till I'm ready to do something whole-heartedly, I'm not ready.
  • I have done intense cardio at other times in my life when I felt much better, physically, than I do right now, and even then I found it unpleasant. But as I now feel physically fragile, much of the time, I'm worried about unbalancing myself and leading to new or exacerbated challenges. I'm gradually overcoming my resistance because, frankly, what I'm doing isn't working and I do know about the positive relationship between hard activity (heart rate increase) and overall well-being. Sometimes you have to take a risk.
  • I'm going to be honest here. I'm not in this for the joy of the cardio experience. (I walk and do yoga for that purpose.) My goal is not specifically fitness (I'm pretty fit, though one can always be moreso). My goal is to lose fat in a specific spot. I do recognize that fat does not leave one's preferred zone on command, though I have to hope a shake-up will produce the desired impact. My goal is to retain my former shape while, to the best of my ability, also retaining my former lifestyle. 
  • My issue isn't easily resolvable because I'm not being particularly flexible. Mind you, better to know myself and to generate a sustainable solution - even if it takes time and still-emerging motivators - than to jump in without due consideration.
  • A propos of the bullet points above, I know I need to do something that I will be inclined to continue because it meets my lifestyle. The weather here sucks for months of the year. I don't imagine I'll be dragging my ass to the gym on a crap, dark evening and there are weeks of those. I'm very concerned about germs, so I don't want to put myself into crowded classes, esp. when the weather gets bad and everyone is sick for months at a time. I have a lot of responsibilities - and pursuits - so I have to consider how I can include new exercise in my life in such a way that it doesn't eat into my evening hours overly. 
  • The one thing I can say about myself is that I work hard when I decide to work hard because I am intently self-motivated.
The Strategy: 
  • Information gather to confirm "best" activity, optimal duration and number of weekly sessions
  • Get rested and ready (inasmuch as it's possible)
  • Determine requirements and kit up
  • Just Do It and all that shit
I must continue to gather info: What activity will be most palatable? How much time should I dedicate to it, how often? How will I intersperse it with yoga? I'm a researcher by nature so I've been polling up a storm :-) My recently-ended vacation (sob) was destined to interfere with any habit-forming, so I opted to wait until after Europe to begin - even as I've worked to ensure that materials and infrastructure I may require are available. I'm going to unjetlag and get myself reacclimated to work and life this week, with an aim to finalize a direction for the cardio portion of my life rather soon).

I still need to ensure I have the appropriate gadgets and shoes (I believe I do since I've only worn the runners I got years ago a handful of times) but at least the bra is sorted:

The Sports Bra: I bought the Shock Absorber N109:


This purchase was an accident. Though I'd read about this brand for a long while, I never imagined that they'd have it at The Bay. What works even better for me is that the back size is insanely small but the cup size (at least as far as I'm concerned) is generous.  Because I could go up a band size and down a cup size, I was not sized out of the (limited though admittedly much more wide-ranging than usual) department store offerings. I take a 34 back in this style and it is as snug as I would ever want to go. I've read that many sporty-ladies go up two band sizes. Some also find it small in the cup but I think that has a lot to do with breast shape vs. volume. You can find a lot of info about this brand on A Bra That Fits.

This bra is a combo encapsulation/compression model. Its interior construction permits adequate space for a very projected breast but the rigid underband and inflexible shell fabric keep everything taut. The encapsulation comes in the form of an interior sling with cylindrical openings (not really cups) for the breasts. The compression comes from an  exceedingly strong, stretch free overlay (the part that's visible) that attaches to your body with a wide and intensely snug band.

This bra really stops bounce - like miraculously. I could distance run and nothing would move.

But here's the thing - it's designed for a seriously full-on-bottom breast. If you are full on top (or even balanced), you may find it overly large in the bottom and too closed at the top. It's not a perfect shape match for me though my breasts are less voluminous on top than they used to be. I do find it's a bit roomy at the base of the "cups" but I manage to be able to move things around to achieve a balanced spread of breast tissue. It's also designed for a narrow frame - the shoulder straps are very close set and could potentially cut into the neck area depending on how you are shaped.

I do think it's optimal to buy a sports bra having tried it on, in store. There are so many variables to consider with this sort of purchase that your likelihood of easily finding the right size and shape, online, is slim. Most brands only make one or two styles of sports bra, so you often have to try multiple brands to determine what will work. Much easier to manage that in a department store or boutique. I got lucky - but if I'd bought my regular size in this bra, online, I wouldn't have been able to do it up.

The price is right, btw, at 50 bucks. I've also heard you can find it on sale sometimes.

So, that's my sports-bra scenario. Anyone else use this bra? Thoughts about it? Remember, I'd love to hear about duration and frequency of your cardio work outs! Please do tell. And let's talk.

20 comments:

  1. i'll be curious what you go with exercise-wise. after kids i took up running (short distances cuz i'm a pansy and have a bum knee). that used to be enough to keep me slim, but lately some lbs have crept up and just won't budge! altho my bewbs have filled out a scant amt... small blessings ;-). so, i'm looking to up my routine as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, keep me posted! I want to know how it's working out for you...

      Delete
  2. I do powerwalks , usually 3-5 times a week for 1 1/2 hrs, when work schedule and weather permit. For heavier cardio, I prefer elipticals as the least joint-damaging (I have rheumatoid arthritis). I have no room for a machine either and no room in the budget for a gym. I do enjoy exercise classes and never became ill from them, when I change/shower at home. I also tend to pick up illnesses from public gym equipment... but with rigorous cleaning before each use that has decreased. Interval running is a good one, but the joints don't tolerate that any more. Home exercise videos are sometimes helpful for me. Maybe you could get a few sessions with a personal trainer to get you set up with a routine that works for you. Good luck with your shock absorber!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When last I went to gyms, there were no cleaning options - so I feel better that sanitizing methods are now being used more frequently. Thanks for sharing your methods!

      Delete
  3. I have that bra! I love it. No movement, but comfortable enought to wear all day, as I discovered once when I forgot to put a regular bra in my bag before cycling to work. It doesn't get as much love on ABTF as Panache Sport, but I think you have to get a close shape match for Panache Sport to work perfectly. At least, I didn't find it as effective as Shock Absorber. I'm evenly full, but my upper fullness is gradual enough (tall root) to work with the bra. Your notes about size chime with my experience too - I'm a 32FF leaning 30G in most bras, and 34E as recommended by my Local Bra Shop fits great.

    Have you thought about martial arts? The choreography is less demanding than dance, and the more active styles are a great cardio workout. I've never been able to keep up a routine of exercise for the sake of exercise, so the only thing that works for me is folding it into something that I find fun (martial arts, occasional yoga) or rewarding in other ways (cycling to get places).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great, yes? And I'm glad to know that if can fit even fullness with a tall root. I have thought about martial arts and someone I work with has suggested it. It's apparently excellent for tone and cardio.

      Delete
  4. We moved cities just before I got pregnant with our first son. Before we moved I rowed twice a week and did 2 aerobic classes a week. Being quite shy and busy with my family I never found a sport in my new neighborhood so I never got back to the pre baby weight. My oldest (of 4) is now 16! About 2 years ago my friend took me along to a zumba class. At first I went once a week, after a while I added a body pump class and then my body started to change, I tried to snack less bus wasn't on a real diet. I'm still a pear shape but less extreme, buying jeans is not so hard anymore. Now I take another zumba class and pilates, and I've taken up running. The classes are 50 minutes and I ride my bike to go to the gym(15 minutes) (unless it rains really hard). I shower at home. I run for about 1 hour, but it depends on the distance (1 hour = about 5 kilometers + warmup). I find that I feel better if I excercise, stronger and happier with my body and my family. Good luck on finding the right activity for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you found a system very naturally. Good for you!

      Delete
  5. I don't have much to say about sports bras or fitness (my own is very much on hiatus at the moment, the fitness, that is,)... but the only cardio I haven't always completely hated (other than dancing) is elliptical. Someday, I hope to have the space & stability to own one. Someday. >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a popular choice, that's for sure. And I have new info on my proposed plan of action. Stay tuned for next post.

      Delete
  6. I do 30 minutes of cardio 5 times a week alternating between the bike and elliptical. Then I do 30 minutes of strength or core or fitness. I work out once a week with a trainer which I find invaluable for keeping me going - always have to answer what I've done in the past week -and keeping my workouts effective. I've lost 50+ lbs in the past couple of years getting me back to the weight and shape I had when we got married 34 years ago - something I never expected to see again. Too bad I didn't save all those patterns I was sewing back then, they would fit me now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois: I've been thinking of you! I know your trainer sessions are just the thing for you and your fitness success is motivational :-)

      Delete
  7. It will be interesting to see what you decide. For cardio, I run three times a week with the C25K podcasts. They range from 20 to 40 (45? I can't remember) minutes of workout plus 10 minutes of warm-up/cool-down (5 min each) so I'm never out for more than an hour. It's a 9-week program so when I get to the end, I just start at the beginning and run a little faster. It lets me build up speed over weeks, and there are extra workouts for speed and stamina to break it up. I usually run alone on Tue and Thu, then together with my husband on Saturdays. It's more fun that way. On non-run days I do yoga in the morning - very basic only.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm pretty close to unveiling my plan - I just have to finalize it. You've got a very good system going...

      Delete
  8. Kristin, I'm a fan of shock absorber too - much better shape than Freya non-wired sports bra.. I ordered it from fig leaves for a better price.

    As for cardio to improve core, have you considered strength training or body weight exercises. The latter does not require any equipment ... Look for body weight or isometric exercises on YouTube to see if it's your cuppa. I find that strength training using weights or body weight exercises worked amazingly well for working on my core.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have considered strength training - but I def want to incorporate a cardio aspect since I get quite good strength training from the yoga I do. I feel I need to jump up and down, not only to kick start my metabolism, but to try and shift my mood...

      Delete
  9. Good luck with whatever program you decide upon. I found your description of your decision-making process fascinating. I like to read about a particular hobby/interest, but generally only after I've taken it up. I cycle to work most days between April - October, (14 km roundtrip) which does me for cardio for part of the year. I've decided I need a year-round exercise program and a friend and I have committed to joining the Y in the fall. I've been a member in previous years and have never had issues with germs/illness, but have become much more conscious of germiness in recent years - we're joining a new facility so prudent hand cleansing should be sufficient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to be the kind of person who avoids things because of germ fear. I've got to find a way to keep a healthy perspective. So I'm working on it.

      Delete
  10. another of my favorite sports bars with no wires is the Anita: http://www.barenecessities.com/product.aspx?pfid=Anita5527&cm_mmc=GLPA-_-Bra-_-Anita311-_-Anita5527&term=Anita5527&BillboardPopupEnabled=false&BorderfreeEnabled=False&c3api=1285903135&source=gbase&cmp=bpp20&BorderfreeEnabled=False&BillboardPopupEnabled=False&adpos=1o4&creative=17425423571&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CKO92NSoy78CFSYV7AodZyYA6Q
    The cups run very small - be aware! It is super comfy, and has a nice shape, only slight compression. It ventilates well & I LOVE the wider elastic at bottom and the stretchy sports mesh back.
    Laurel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'll have to check that one out. Thanks!

      Delete