Saturday, June 12, 2010

Life is Good

Today I had the most wonderful time - and I was outrageously productive.

It started off at the best garage sale ever, in Leaside of all places, where I was driven in style by my friend Jennifer. J's friend Nicole is moving - first to Mustique, and then to Hawaii - and she was having one of those "all things must go" sale, wherein I scored:
  • Gorgeous large bowl, from Indonesia (Nicole used to live there), inlaid with mother of pearl and lined with smooth bamboo. Perfect for fruit.
  • 2 nesting bowls, ceramic, in butter yellow, for mixing
  • Real jade bead necklace - also from Indonesia
  • Fun necklace - blue plastic (but very chic)
  • 4 Time Life cook books from 70s - all on Euro cooking. Awesome photos.
  • A box of tapers
  • A black, v-neck cashmere sweater
All of this was $47.00!?!

Then, we went to the Wychwood Barns Market, up at St. Clair and Bathurst. It's only open on Saturdays. I am embarrassed to tell you that I've never been, despite the fact that I can walk there in a half-hour. It was fantastic! I bought amazing empanadas, utterly sublime alfajores, wild Ontario strawberries, homemade brownies made with Bailey's. Jennifer bought her weekly greens, yummy (though messy) veggie roti and gorgeous Gerbera daisies (12 for $7.00) - which she shared with me. We enjoyed the scene while catching up and drinking organic coffee. It was a delight.

If that weren't enough, midday I high-tailed it to Steen and Nicole's (2 Nicoles in 1 day!), where N and I proceeded to make that Donna Karan dress for her in a fab, modern blue and brown pattern (on white background). We pulled it off in a mere 4 hours! (The last one took me a full weekend.) The result was spectacular. It looks beautiful and fits perfectly.

Steen made dinner - steak, sausage, clover greens with nasturtium, asparagus, potatoes lyonnaise and great wines from all over the place. The bread and cheese - and pork rillette - we had to start (and finish) the meal were so delicious.

Honestly, what decadence. Really, it couldn't have been better.

PS: Aiming to get back in the swing of blogging over the next week. I'm hoping to do a breakdown of my recently purchased potions, one by one. Pls. stay tuned.

10 comments:

  1. I just love your post title... it says it all.

    Luv from the Island...

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sounds like a great day! Sewing a piece in 4 hours? I can't even imagine that....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this kind of day, jam-packed with activities that are fun and productive at the same time. Did you snap pics of your friend's new dress?

    can't believe you managed to snag a v-neck black cashmere (perfect staple!) among all those other goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate: It was terrific!

    Seeker: So far I'm enjoying the 40s! I've been thinking about you. Hope that your summer is bringing you some happiness.

    Sewn: It was like a Christmas miracle! It helped that we were together, motivated, I'd made the pattern once before. Nicole has a really good Elna from the 70s. It made the job go more easily too.

    Mater: You know, I didn't! And she wore it for a while all styled up and it looked great. I was too busy eating some yummy snacks and talking. I will aim to get a shot soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a beautiful rundown! Just the thought of all that food is making my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goodness that was a busy day. I was busy too but I just went to ballet, cleaned my house and did laundry. Nothing quite as awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. E: The food was truly terrific!

    E8: This was a particularly crazy fun productive day. They're not all like that. But I think I should have done a little less eating and a little more exercising :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd love to see that jade necklace. The stone really is so pretty--I don't know why I don't have my own.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ambika: I have to photo it and post. Pls. stay tuned :-)

    ReplyDelete