Sunday, April 27, 2008

What a Mighty Fine Day

Was supposed to rain. Instead, not a cloud in the sky and warm like a baby's bath. So far I've dined on delish chickpea and tuna salad (on a patio) and eaten gelato at the best place in the city (Dolce). Take it from me, there is no place else worth getting ice cream in this city.

Say you desperately want to be in Firenze sampling ice cream in an ancient cobblestoned laneway but you happen to be surrounded by the (let's face it, even those of you who love this town) pallid facade of west central TO. Then take a taste of the just salty-just sweet pistachio - avocado-coloured awesomeness - and hideous storefronts morph into the Ponte Vecchio before your very eyes! Such an inexpensive trip.

At any rate, here are a couple of photos of K blissed out on gelato-goodness:

Sunnies: Rayban; Sweater: Mexx, T: American Apparel; Jeans: Genetic, Scarf: Bill Blass; Shoes: Bruno Magli (NEW!); Bag: Thrifted at Kensington Mkt. (so at the end of a good life...)

And here's a closeup of my new Bruno Magli vintage shoes:

Aren't they awesome? Admittedly, they're a half size too snug but they called to me in the dulcet tones of the siren so I decided that they and my feet would just have to find a way to get along. You can't see it in the pic so well, but the heel is angled and the flat adornment on the top of the bow is in the same zany, tiny geometric pattern as that on the heel. The leather is so rich that, despite the fact this shoe is likely 40 years old, it is soft and pliable.

It's rare for me not to be able to tell the era of a shoe but I'm at a loss with this one. It could be early 60s to early 80s - the style manages to be timelessly elegant. Cost: $35.00. Thrill: Immeasurable.

Next post, I'll tell the tale of my shopping day...

8 comments:

  1. Fantastic shoes! Is that the faux leather orangey-pieced bag that everyone loved from your earlier post?

    Speaking of delish desserts, do you know Dr. Cheese and the Cake Lady on Harbord? It was a not-to-miss spot when I lived in the city some years ago. My pick was the Sarah Bernhardt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are lovely shoes indeed. I tried on a similiar pair of Sam Edelman's at Nordstrom the other day. They were flats. One of my happiest summer memories is sitting on the "Spanish Steps" in Rome. . . eating ice cream with my younger sister (who is my favourite "anonymous" commentor). Sometimes we just have so much fun together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merci Miss C. It is the same bag. How bright orange manages to be a neutral is beyond me... I've never seen Dr. Cheese and the Cake Lady but I just looked it up on the net and apparently it's still there. How I could have wandered past a cake and cheese place without noticing is entirely beyond me...

    E: Thanks! Ah, Rome. Perhaps my fave city ever. How great that you have such a close relationship with your sisters - partners in film and gelato-eating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous outfit, I can't believe your shoes are 40 years old, how wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look so good in that narrow silhouette.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miss W: Technically, they could be much newer, so I don't want to make false claims, but they do seem quite vintage to me!

    Thanks so much Enc! I'm working the curvy girl version to the best of my ability :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Work it out, woman! Strut your stuff -- in those shoes, which are to drool for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dreamecho: I LOVE the shoes. Everytime I look at them my heart skips a beat. Merci!

    ReplyDelete