Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Quirkalicious

Thank you fabulous blog chums Enc (observationmode) and Bronwyn (FashionAbility) for tagging me to do the 6-Quirk Meme. I thought I had all the quirks down till I started reading about the intriguing, amusing, appealing foibles of other bloggers. Such a vast landscape!

So, in accordance with the rules:

1. Link the person(s) who tagged you.
2. Mention the rules in your blog.
3. Tell about 6 unspectacular quirks of yours.
4. Tag 6 following bloggers by linking them.
5. Leave a comment on each of the tagged blogger's blogs letting them know they've been tagged.

…here goes.

  • I cannot stand to listen to people breathing when they sleep – loved ones, adorable children, slothful pets – it matters not. That whistle-y sound makes me homocidal. Don’t even get me started on snoring.
  • I LOVE butter – to the extent that bread is merely a vehicle for ingesting it. (I suppose it’s also quirky that I really don’t like bread…)
  • On the topic of food quirks, I used to have a sugarless gum problem – going through packs a day i.e. chain chewing - until I came to terms with the fact (not that I didn’t know this and ignore it for years) that it’s as bad for you as diet cola (which I hate, btw).
  • I am a born hostess: At work, I’m that girl who orients the new person – even if I’ve only been on board for a week and everyone else knows 10X more than me. At a picnic, I’m the one who assists the organizer. If you’re lost on the street, I’m likely to walk you to your destination to make sure that you get there without incident.
  • While I read every fashion mag in the known universe, and feel not the slightest bit of envy or concern that I have neither the body nor the budget to wear most of what I see, I cannot bear to pick up the interior design analogue. The minute I do I feel beyond inferior and it truly depresses me.
  • I’m a whacky combo of luddite and futurist: I don’t have a cell phone, car or cable TV but I live in a house with 6 laptops, numerous PDAs and I was the first person I know to get an iPod. I’m also a member of the Nielsen Media Research “family” – you know, the organization whose TV popularity rating is widely adopted in the media industry. (Strangely, we were demographically sourced on the basis that we don’t have cable but that we – at that time - had a child under the age of 6. “Random source” is likely a misnomer since we’re, in my estimation, one of 3 families in downtown TO with a young child and no cable.)

Hmmm, who to tag, as I know many have already done this fun meme. I’d like to know more about the crazy qualities of:

Jill @ Couture Salope
Fruchtzwerg @ Fruchtzwerg’s Island
Yulanda @ little thoughts.
Regine @ Devote
Ms. White @ White Writing
Romny @ The 16 Diaries

And of course, anyone else who’d like to do it…

17 comments:

  1. I love this post. I enjoy getting to know my fellow bloggers.

    Also, I love the way you listed your tagees. Clever girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tag! I also have great love for butter, when I was younger I used to eat butter on crackers. How terrible for me, but how delicious! My brother still thinks I will one day explode from my unhealthy consumption of such things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Enc. I'm stranger than you ever imagine (can't imagine what I left out...)

    Jill: Butter is nature's perfect food. Nuff said. K

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes the loud sleeping breathing is annoying - I hope I dont do it. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on the cable TV. We get it every so often--for the Olympics, for instance, and this March, for some basketball (not for me--ahem). But I could absolutely live without it and look forward to the summer when we "unplug" it.

    And I am SO with you on the breathing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd have to agree with you on the breathing. If I am trying to sleep and someone is breathing on or near me, it can send me into fits. My husband and I have a King size bed, just to make sure I can sleep back to back, with great distance between us to avoid any breathing issues!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tag. I was already tagged by a couple others by this, but I haven't thought of six quirks yet. Will do it when I have more time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh!I meant to mention butter in my quirks.I love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to read this twice 'no mobile phone'. I don't understand, don't you feel lost?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Francis, Miss C and SKM: I thought I was odd with the breathing quirk but everyone seems to be corroborating it. SKM - I'm with you on the king size bed. I also banish my husband to futon - if the breathing is too much...

    Miss C: Cable is entirely overrated, IMO.

    Yulanda: Looking forward to hear about your "special qualities" :-)

    Wendy: I even put butter on banana bread!

    Imelda: LOL. You know, I had a cell phone for work - used to do a job that was very "time sensitive" and it totally burned me out. I don't like being too accessible. Having said that, I'm seriously considering getting a cell because lately I am feeling out of the loop. I was waiting for the iPhone but it looks like it's not coming to Canada (or maybe it is?) At any rate, may get mobile soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! Butter is the secret to life!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh thanks for the tag! That's so sweet. :)
    I was recently tagged by two other blogging friends, so if you'd like to learn more about my little quirks, check here:
    http://the16diaries.blogspot.com/2008/04/tagged-me.html

    Oh and I hate reading the 'interior design' type mags too! You described the feeling of inferiority perfectly well. ;)

    Romany
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Romany: Sorry to double tag you, I should be more on top of these things! I will check out your link... What is it about those perfect homes that torture me so. Nothing brings up status anxiety like an interiors magazine (except maybe the TV show version!)...

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG OMG "I LOVE butter – to the extent that bread is merely a vehicle for ingesting it." YES! Bread is so overrated. As a kid I ate butter all by itself!!! Butterbutterbutter, I LOVE butter! HIGH FIVE SISTER!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, don't worry about it. ;)
    I'm just flattered to be tagged so many times, lol!
    Loving your blog.
    Romany
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Riz and Kitten: I had know idea how resonant that little quirk would be. My daughter is so into butter, one day (when she was 3) I caught her eating a stick of it! (A little too much, even for me.) But it definitely makes everything it touches taste about 4x better.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete