Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Top Five of 2012: Lessons Learned

As you know, I LOVE to learn. Give me a lesson, any day. Preferably a fun and easy one, but I'll take what's on offer.

Sewing and knitting are, for me, the crafts that keep on giving. Not a session goes by that I don't come up with some new practice I'll keep up my sleeve till the next time it comes in handy. Having said this, I know this is about the concrete and sassy lessons of 2012, so here goes:
  • NEVER underestimate the power of a well-drafted pattern. Whether that means pieces that align beautifully, notches that are marked correctly, instructions that are given with context and in plain language or techniques that create a stunning finished product just depends on the nature of the garment you're constructing. A good pattern is worth re-making as many times as you continue to learn from and enjoy it. 
  • Trust your instincts about whether a pattern is good. Sure, when you're a newbie you may not have as much knowledge as would be useful to discern this. So read reviews and proceed with caution. On the flip side, when you're an expert you can generally work around suboptimal drafting elements or wan instructions to create a good finished product. The question then is: how much time and life energy do you care to spend on patterns that aren't as potentially as joyful to sew as their finished projects are to wear?
  • I am, you are, we are collectively the soul of a vital creative pool. The skills we learn in craft enrich the way our minds work in every area of our lives. I have only just begun to craft (sewing started in November 2009 and knitting started in April 2011) and yet I have been able to accomplish much because I have so many wonderful teachers! My goal is to honour them, and the craft, by continuing to develop my skills but also my intuitive abilities. One of the most enjoyable projects I undertook in 2012 is the weird mash-up dress where I significantly altered a vintage shirt and then drafted my own simple skirt to attach. The shirt wasn't working as-is. I can't tell you how much fun it was to just cut away at it until it became something I could wear. It was like sculpting! And then, when I made up the skirt (and I'm sure much of what I've learned from others who have written about simple skirt drafting must have finally stuck) and grafted one to the other, it was like magic. So. Much. Fun. Admittedly, at first I didn't much like the finished result - but I loved the process (and have since come to appreciate the finished garment).
  • The point of making things is to approach perfection - not to attain it. If you can't accept error, you'll never learn to fix it. And it's a rare person who works without ever making mistakes.
  • Know when it's time to use good fabric or yarn. New crafters rightly tend to choose less costly materials because a certain quantity of finished projects end up never worn - for any number of reasons. Here's the thing: I've heard enough from really experienced crafters to know that they encounter a reasonable number of similar snags. But one thing's for certain, when your garment works, you will love it all the more for having made it from the most beautiful substance you could find. Which leads me to my final point...
  • Treat every first project from a pattern as a trial run. In truth, you may need to make it 3 or 4 times before you perfect the fit or drape - or decide it just isn't going to work for you. But once you've got the pattern down, then you can pull out your fancy fabric and have a ball.
OK, I was only supposed to tell about 5 lessons learned but I just couldn't stop myself!

What's your top lesson learned in 2012? I want to know!

14 comments:

  1. really well said... i think we can all relate here in some form or another :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading your list..

    What did I learnt this year? My list will be a from a person who lost her sewing mojo for years and has just fund it back this year.. I have learnt
    - that it's okay to cut into fabric.
    - that it's okay to make mistake
    - that cutting a fabric and making a mistake is much better than fabric aging in stash
    - that while a wearable end garment is good, the real fun is in planning what to make and tracing and cutting and sewing.. it's the journey, not the destination. It's like going on a roller coaster... The fun is not in finishing it, but while right when you are going through it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true about the journey being the destination. If you don't have fun making the item, then what's the point?

      Delete
  3. Happy Boxing Day Kristen!

    It was fun revisiting your 2012 creations and I love your list. I really hope I get a chance to sew something before school starts again. We'll see. Martin has pretty much taken over the sewing room...

    I really, really hope you're feeling better and especially hope that you are able to enjoy wine again :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan: As I type this, I am drinking a glass of wine with no adverse affects! And thanks to you for that wonderful fabric from which I've already made 2 great dresses. Best in 2013 xo

      Delete
  4. I know the holidays has everyone busy as can be, but I wanted to let you know I nominated you for a blog award. Here's the link: http://peanutbuttermacrame.blogspot.com/2012/12/blog-awards-and-merry-merry.html

    Also, I love this post and I agree with you about not going cheap on fabric and owning your mistakes. have a happy New Year, cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much. I am terrible at answering questions like this - though your answers are fascinating.

      Have a terrific 2013. Can't wait to see what new things you come up with - and new bras :-)

      Delete
  5. Totally agree with all your lessons! As for me, I've been sewing for nearly 50 years and I recently (re-)learned that I don't need no stinkin' commercial patterns! They don't fit me out of the envelope anyway. Self-drafted or frankenpatterns or rub-offs are definitely the way to go. It might seem like it takes more time but not if I have to completely refit the shoulders and neckline every single time like I do on the Big 4 patterns. The results of DIY are so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louisa: Thanks! And I love that you have come to an understanding about commercial patterns and their limitations, only to discover great work arounds. I guess that's what 50 years of experience will do for you! Congrats on so many years of creativity. I'm sure you've got beautiful things to show for it.

      Delete
  6. I love to learn, too, almost at the risk of never finishing anything! I have been sewing for a very long time and I wish I had learned to question or understand patterns as engineering tools much earlier on... man, the internet has certainly upped the ante, though, in terms of solutions I never found in books. My mom was just asking me at Christmas if I'd ever heard of Sewaholic patterns--I had no idea she followed her blog!--but it has taught her things she never picked up in 50 years of sewing.

    Anyhoos, I love that you tackle your projects so whole-heartedly--looking back over your end of year posts, you certainly were productive despite all the setbacks! AND of course the Starlet suit was the real gem! Happy New Year, lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only learned to craft in the context of the internet so I find it fascinating to read about people with long-standing experience (usually taught by family members). I love that your mum follows Sewaholic and that she's learning from it. I do think the internet is better than any other learning platform inasmuch as the information is so easily accessible and one person's experience informs and reinforces another's, such that the method can become refined in real time, visible to everyone.

      Thanks for your lovely words, Amy.

      Delete