Wednesday, December 5, 2012

My House Smells Like Christmas

Yesterday afternoon, which is to say "at approximately 5 pm when it had already been dark for some time", I found myself in the florist, binge buying just about every (gorgeously fragrant) seasonal offering I could get my hands on.


We might call this the season Kristin spent money cuz if it's not a cab (I usually do not indulge this kind of expensive laziness but I'm tired), then it's a something from Etsy or a yarn or vegan mousse that costs 5 dollars for 3 tablespoons or presents for Xmas or a Yumalite (on the wacky end of my purchase spectrum but the lack of daylight is making me crazy and I just can't take it lying down this year).

My haul included a lovely fir wreath (for inside):

This isn't this wreath's final home - and it's certainly not an artful shot, but I was trying to manage 15 things at the same time so it will have to do...
 And these lusciously intense, tomato-red winterberries:



I also got a near-to-bloom paperwhite plant for my room (with an adorable green ceramic pot), some eucalyptus and some other berries (larger, more muted, droopier and on a leafy stem), the name of which I don't know.

I'd probably have bought more but that's all I could carry.

Don't worry, tomorrow's another day.

10 comments:

  1. Winter berries and foliage are simply lovely. You can never have too much! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty. We have to break out the Christmas decorations and figure out our tree situation. We usually buy a real tree with friends but we missed the "hunt" and now have to organize it on our own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We actually have a fake tree (gasp - don't tell)! So I need real evergreen to mask the horror. Note: Our fake tree is very lovely.

      Delete
  3. I love the scents of Christmas; I can smell it all now. Those musky paperwhites, mmm. And mulled wine in the evening (just for the scent, really!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I love them! I also love the smell of apple pie at this time of year.

      Delete
  4. I'm getting ready to do some of this as well, if only to cheer up my marking days. We're not going to be home for Christmas, so I don't think we'll do a tree here -- but winter berries, good-smelling foliage and flowers? I think you've inspired me to hit the florists tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you going to be hanging out with the family in Vancouver?? Fortunately, you have the most gorgeous landscape ever, so you don't need plants as much as I do to remind yourself that everything isn't for nought :-)

      Delete
  5. Yep, and the kids are hosting some of the meals. And our apartment's so small, we can't get too carried away with the festive stuff. Plus you're right, there's usually green right outside the door.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like a wreath, but it seems like overkill with a real tree. Or does it...?

    ReplyDelete