I made a bra:
It's really pretty (if shoddily constructed):
It does not fit.
You don't have to call the suicide hotline on my behalf. I'm over it. I was over it at noon, when the fucking straps almost did me in.
The part of me that's optimistic about the next version fitting better is well aware that the crapness of my strap application is almost a deal breaker to the success of any bra. Too many layers. I need to have my machine tuned up. I need to get one of those gizmos that you stick under the presser foot to keep it level. (Where do you get those things and are they machine specific?)
Part of the reason I've decided to live (:-)) is that I am really, really close. It's just the upper cup that's giving me trouble - so now I've taken another 1/2 inch dart out of the top (this one angled differently). I mean, my adjustment in the last version did improve the fit. But it wasn't enough, apparently.
I made a few more, rather small adjustments to the pattern based on this version:
- The aforementioned new dart in the upper cup (close to the gore and angled)
- Recurving the parts that the straps attach to (to make those areas narrower)
- Recurving the upper back band slightly
- Removing the 2 inches I added to the band last go round. That was unnecessary...
I've cut out the new (version 4) bra pieces and I will assemble them tomorrow (stat holiday). Gotta say, if the next one doesn't work, I may well loose my urge to continue.
The next one will be black and blue; go ahead and read any symbolism into that you'd like. Alas, I'll have to use 1/2 inch strapping on - not 5/8" which I've discovered is far preferable to me - because that's what I've got. I don't know if it will inhibit the support overly. The one I just finished is not excellently supportive but it's not horrible by any stretch (ha). Remember, the band is really too big.
It's amazing that I have hundreds of dollars of lingerie supplies hanging around and no black strapping in 5/8 inch... Hmmm...
Do say something encouraging please. xo