Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The Summer Series: Which Five are the Five in Five?

Fucking hell! Blogger just ate a post I'd spent 30 minutes writing and I'm finding it very hard to bring myself to rewrite it. And it was a good freakin' post, dammit.

Alright, Cole's Notes version: I've chosen the Five in Five (the five easy, namely knit, pieces I will make to tide me through work and play over the summer).

The One That's Not a Knit (but is a skirt): NewLook 6843 mashed up with an RTW skirt I own


I'll make it straight and mini - but not too much of either. Fun fact: This is the pattern I used to make the first thing I ever sewed. It took 15 hours.

Fabric: Denim I used on the skinnies I made recently

The Chic Top: Either Maria Denmark 103:

You can find this in Craftsy Patterns
or a shortened (for my hourglass and short-waisted frame) version of Vogue 8790:


Please use your imagination with these photos. It's hard to see past some of the styling...

Note that all Vogue Patterns photos can be found on the website... Individual linking is a luxury of the woman who hasn't worked all day and then written 3/4 of a post that opted to disappear.

The Fabric: My remaining yard of this fantastic Modal:



The Fancy Dress: V1287 by DKNY

Don't worry, it's not so fancy that it isn't made of jersey with hidden elastic shaping at the waistband.


Fabric: Tencel in slate blue


I sure do hope this fabric isn't too sheer...

What you'll notice is that Vogue and DKNY make some very wearable summer dresses, as evidenced by the fact that I'll be making two others:

Le Sac: I've made V1179 twice before and it's terrific with a belt:


Yeah, everyone and her sister's made this cuz it flatters so many shapes.

The fabric: The remainder of this floral, last used on Jalie 2921


And finalement...

The Dancer Dress: V1027


The Fabric: That peacock shade of Modal that I suspect isn't Modal (no pic available, apparently - I'll photograph my stash when I start working with it...)

I have a couple of other pattern ideas up my sleeve but these top the queue.

Today's questions: Which of these do you like best? Have you made any of them and, if so, how do they wear? What summer projects are in your plan?

24 comments:

  1. Oh, V1027 is absolutely my favorite pattern ever. I've made it twice, (which I never do) and I wear one or both of them weekly throughout spring, summer and fall and occasionally with a cropped cardi and tights in the winter. I need to make a couple more. It's a dress that is guaranteed to make you feel pretty and graceful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thrilled to hear you say that! It seems so lovely and easy to wear. Thanks for the feedback.

      Delete
  2. I love those last two dresses - I've put them on my shopping list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be interested to see your take on the 1287. Something tells me that there will be a lot of markings to make and match...

    All in all, a great looking plan! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That hadn't occurred to me until this minute B! :-)

      Delete
  4. I'm planning on V1027 too, if I can get my act together! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking forward to seeing the DKNY dress with the hidden elastic, looks like it could be a stunner. Another fun fact: that skirt pattern is the first thing I ever sewed too! It took me a whole term... x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilarious! My husband helped me and we literally worked into the wee hours of the morning. We couldn't figure out anything. It took us 5 hours to understand how a waistband attaches to a skirt top.

      Delete
  6. I love all of these choices and have both V1027 and V1179 on my sewing table right now. I already have three versions of V1027 that I love so much and wear year round like KID, MD mentioned. Such a great pattern. I'm also shortwaisted and am interested to see how Vogue 8790 turns out for you. I have the pattern but haven't made it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How bizarre! We have excellent taste. Yeah, I don't know how it'll work. Gotta pull out the pattern and a tape measure.

      Delete
  7. Oh great choices, I'm not sure I have a favourite. Both tops you have planned for our, ah, I mean your, Modal look like good choices. The tank might be easier to fit if you're looking for a truly fast 5. Getting the V to land perfectly on V8790 might be a little tricky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the tank will be quicker - but I do like the drape of the neck with 8790. Hmmm...

      Delete
  8. It's a toss up between the Fancy Dress or the Dancer Dress...but all of them are lovely patterns. I'm pretty impressed though as it takes me 5 weeks to make one garment for myself at the moment. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I can't decide either. And, given a reno and two pre-schoolers, I'm amazed you can make one garment in 5 weeks!

      Delete
  9. I've just pinned the Maria Denmark 103. Love those kind of tops and will try it when I am ready for jersey sewing! Also really like the shape of the V1287 by DKNY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I printed it out and it's quite a lot of taping, but at least you get the instant gratification rather than having to wait for the envelope...

      Delete
  10. I've been meaning to make the Dancer Dress for ages, I love that pattern and have in my stash. All great options, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to make it! I want to see what it looks like on you :-)

      Delete
  11. I've made the 1027 and LOVE it. It looks fancy, but feels like PJs it's so comfortable. I needed it for a wedding and I banged it out in a few hours before we left for our car trip. I "hemmed" it with the rotary cutter and that was great too. No raveling in the wash. Fabulous dress. And it dances beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback, Meredith! I can't believe you managed to put it together under those circumstances. Fills me with hope :-)

      Delete