Tuesday, May 21, 2013

It's So Random

I have a sense this week is going to be rather busy, judging by how it's begun. So I've decided to just throw it all out there and unburden myself in an unstructured fashion. Lucky you!
  • For starters, I have such PMS that I'm actually concerned for the safety of those around me. There is nothing that isn't bothering me right now. I mean, I went out after an unsuccessful shopping excursion (more to come on that and, really, what was I thinking?) and bought 3 large bars of chocolate. With salt. Seriously - if only this stuff came with booze and Advil it would be nature's perfect food.
  • In an irony, Sunni has tossed me over to the dark-side with this post on her new cover stitch machine. I must have one but they appear to be all back-ordered in TO and I can't order from a US vendor - which is to say they can't ship to Canada. I've got some tricks up my sleeve. Let's see how it goes on not sewing hems that look like drunken mice at work. Truth is, I sewed without a serger and all was well. Then I got a serger and it was life-changing (in a sewing context). Now I've had a serger for almost 3-years and I feel it's time to make my hems look as professional as the rest of my seams. I always say, you can't do your best work without the right tools.
  • Do you have a online-purchase of vintage buttons habit? I do.  It's a very inexpensive way to enrich your crafting, support small-business and get packages in the mail. Really, you should spend hours a night on Etsy...
  • ...Or on eBay, researching bras. Here's my latest bra adventure experiment, Cleo by Panache Bella bra and undies (more to come, of course, when the products arrive):


Vendor: Just Bras

Vendor: Whisper Lingerie (I've used this vendor before with success...)
  • I'm hoping for a similar fit to the Melissa - also Cleo by Panache. Frankly, I'm obsessed with this brand and it's deeper-cup offerings. And it's one of those weird patterns I can get with.
  • Something that can't get with me, apparently, is a basic "nude" bra to wear under all of the things one wants to wear with inconspicuous - but still hot - lingerie. Ever since I fell out with the Fantasie Smoothing Balconette - that one that seems not to work on me anymore, sigh - I haven't been able to find a replacement. As recently as today I tried a local boutique for the Empreinte Melody Full Cup Seamed bra - different than the Melody in that it isn't molded, it has a seam and it has a ribbon at the upper cup:
This photo - of the black version, natch - from Here
  •  The caramel colour aka the "nude" version is just lovely - not granny-like - and it looks fantastic on Veronica (which is what inspired me to try it). Alas, it only starts in a 32 band, which is just too big. Why do they assume that ladies with "smaller" back sizes don't want serious coverage on occasion? This bra is gorgeous, btw, just not right for me. So here's the shout out: I'm looking for a new neutral basic that's highly wearable under all kinds of tops (not lacy or having too much fabric profile). I prefer a front and centre, highly-lifted, "natural"-to-pointy shape. Side-support is welcome. Please provide your feedback!
  • To switch gears entirely, the knitting continues apace. I'm about half way through the back piece and I've knit one of the pockets - largely to confirm gauge in K1P1. I appear to be knitting a bit tightly this time around so I opted not to go down a needle size in rib. As a result, the waist and pockets look slightly more prominent than they otherwise would - though in no way badly. I just don't want to have a problem with tight-fit at the end. Of course, I don't want loose fit either.
  • And indeed, the bottom layer of the surplice top V8790, does affix at the underarm - as I suggested yesterday. But I must have given up on the instructions at this point because the top layer is affixed at the waist, per the envelope drawing. That potentially explains why I had to shorten the length of the facing on one side - but not really, cuz I had to do it on both sides and I LOWERED both sides (equivalently to 2 inches below the armsyce). I mean, this pattern can't have it all ways. Mind you, this liberates me mentally to fool around with the positioning of the surplice side seams. I'm going to be a bit freer on my next go-around, with the recognition that no one's come forward with much on the positive front for this pattern.
Not sure how much time I'll have to blog this week - though I always seem to be prolific as soon as I say this. In fact, worrying about not having time to write has compelled me to mega-post. I. must. express. myself.

Thoughts or feelings about any of the above?

27 comments:

  1. The only thoughts or feelings I have on this involve exhaustion, seriously! Although I would also add that I love that floral print on the bra. . . and also second you on the chocolate-salt combo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, last night I started eating the chocolate and it tasted all wrong! So upgraded to ice cream bars.

      Delete
  2. GET A COVERSTITCH no matter how you have to go about it! Did I shout that loud enough for you? LOL

    I've had one for about 4 years now and hemming with that as opposed to a twin needle looks so much better. Not to mention that I use it to top stitch turned edges on knits as well as wovens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a really bad influence Debbie! :-)

      Delete
  3. Once you coverstitch you'll never go back. Sorry.;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing... everything. You make me laugh and think and remember not to take myself so seriously. Yes, yes, yes, you DESERVE a coverstitch machine! I sew a lot of knits and I'll never not have one again. Speaking of the right tools, I got a blindstitch machine to hem curtains for my bagillion windows--well, that was my excuse, anyway, and now I love it, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do! I deserve it! But I'm never doing curtains :-)

      Delete
  5. Oh, that undies and bra are totally divine. Perfection, seriously! I don't have a coverstitch machine either, and probably never will!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You seem to be doing very well without one!

      Delete
  6. Cover stitch machine is da bomb!!! Go for it!! Did you say your birthday is coming??

    You might also want yo check Kijiji for one ... I remember seeing one .. But please bargain .. I got a 1000 CPX for $450 practically unused and it is amazing stuff!! I might get a industrial binder for it next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yet another one to convert me to the dark side... I'm hoping to get find a gently used one for a good price.

      Delete
  7. And seriously those bras are really something ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you willing to consider an underwire?

      Delete
  8. Now if you added salt caramel to the chocolate/Advil/booze mix, I'll be your European distributor! ;-)
    Debbie is right...GET A COVERSTITCH! Bloody marvellous things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! The caramel was missing. And who can resist something marvellous??

      Delete
    2. Coverstitching whilst eating salt caramel booze chocolates is the way forward!

      Delete
  9. Progesterone causes so many problems. I hope day 1 arrives so you can get back to feeling normal. Well, until the cramps hit.

    Pretty, pretty bras.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know! No new bras for you till you get through the rigamorole.

      Delete
    2. That's a very good point. I can wait.

      Delete
  10. I feel you. The sole reason I am making it thru this week is the tray of brownies with my name on it at home. Um, I also suffer from the nagging need to buy (buttons, coverstitch, lingerie...) during weeks like this.

    Honestly, there are some Vogue designer patterns that are quite easy and some very easy ones that are a disaster waiting to happen. I've never figured out their rationale for it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are PMS twins. I am mainlining chocolate. And sewing to keep my hands busy and away from other people :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your nude bra quest is like my winter black-shoe quest. They're basics but so hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why is this?? You'd think they'd be everywhere...

      Delete