- For starters, I have such PMS that I'm actually concerned for the safety of those around me. There is nothing that isn't bothering me right now. I mean, I went out after an unsuccessful shopping excursion (more to come on that and, really, what was I thinking?) and bought 3 large bars of chocolate. With salt. Seriously - if only this stuff came with booze and Advil it would be nature's perfect food.
- In an irony, Sunni has tossed me over to the dark-side with this post on her new cover stitch machine. I must have one but they appear to be all back-ordered in TO and I can't order from a US vendor - which is to say they can't ship to Canada. I've got some tricks up my sleeve. Let's see how it goes on not sewing hems that look like drunken mice at work. Truth is, I sewed without a serger and all was well. Then I got a serger and it was life-changing (in a sewing context). Now I've had a serger for almost 3-years and I feel it's time to make my hems look as professional as the rest of my seams. I always say, you can't do your best work without the right tools.
- Do you have a online-purchase of vintage buttons habit? I do. It's a very inexpensive way to enrich your crafting, support small-business and get packages in the mail. Really, you should spend hours a night on Etsy...
- ...Or on eBay, researching bras. Here's my latest bra adventure experiment, Cleo by Panache Bella bra and undies (more to come, of course, when the products arrive):
|Vendor: Just Bras|
|Vendor: Whisper Lingerie (I've used this vendor before with success...)|
- I'm hoping for a similar fit to the Melissa - also Cleo by Panache. Frankly, I'm obsessed with this brand and it's deeper-cup offerings. And it's one of those weird patterns I can get with.
- Something that can't get with me, apparently, is a basic "nude" bra to wear under all of the things one wants to wear with inconspicuous - but still hot - lingerie. Ever since I fell out with the Fantasie Smoothing Balconette - that one that seems not to work on me anymore, sigh - I haven't been able to find a replacement. As recently as today I tried a local boutique for the Empreinte Melody Full Cup Seamed bra - different than the Melody in that it isn't molded, it has a seam and it has a ribbon at the upper cup:
|This photo - of the black version, natch - from Here|
- The caramel colour aka the "nude" version is just lovely - not granny-like - and it looks fantastic on Veronica (which is what inspired me to try it). Alas, it only starts in a 32 band, which is just too big. Why do they assume that ladies with "smaller" back sizes don't want serious coverage on occasion? This bra is gorgeous, btw, just not right for me. So here's the shout out: I'm looking for a new neutral basic that's highly wearable under all kinds of tops (not lacy or having too much fabric profile). I prefer a front and centre, highly-lifted, "natural"-to-pointy shape. Side-support is welcome. Please provide your feedback!
- To switch gears entirely, the knitting continues apace. I'm about half way through the back piece and I've knit one of the pockets - largely to confirm gauge in K1P1. I appear to be knitting a bit tightly this time around so I opted not to go down a needle size in rib. As a result, the waist and pockets look slightly more prominent than they otherwise would - though in no way badly. I just don't want to have a problem with tight-fit at the end. Of course, I don't want loose fit either.
- And indeed, the bottom layer of the surplice top V8790, does affix at the underarm - as I suggested yesterday. But I must have given up on the instructions at this point because the top layer is affixed at the waist, per the envelope drawing. That potentially explains why I had to shorten the length of the facing on one side - but not really, cuz I had to do it on both sides and I LOWERED both sides (equivalently to 2 inches below the armsyce). I mean, this pattern can't have it all ways. Mind you, this liberates me mentally to fool around with the positioning of the surplice side seams. I'm going to be a bit freer on my next go-around, with the recognition that no one's come forward with much on the positive front for this pattern.
Thoughts or feelings about any of the above?