Wednesday, May 29, 2013

In Which I Advise You To Engage in the Occasional Act of Protest

You never know where it will lead. 

To wit, my new baby:
Photo of the Janome CoverPro 1000 CPX from here
I guess the universe heard my bratty cry and encouraged my husband to buy me the coverstitch machine for my birthday.

You would be right in remembering that he has already bought me my birthday present - another sewing machine (which I love). In fact, with the exception of my serger, he's bought me all of my machines. Let's call him an enabler :-) Truly, though, if I am ever lucky enough to be remembered as a couturier (I'm working up to it slowly...), I'll have Scott to thank.

I haven't had a chance to try the CoverPro yet. It arrived yesterday and I've been working / occupied by after-work activities. However, I did take it out of the box, set it up on my table and admire it. 
   
Ooooh, such a pretty machine! I've bought one non-standard attachment (it comes only with the standard heming foot): the clear foot (which I understand is pretty necessary cuz the regular version doesn't allow you to see when you hit the end of your hem "in the round"). See, I got this machine, primarily, to hem. That doesn't mean I won't learn all of its other features over time (binding, felling etc.) but I'm not going to invest another 500 bucks in accessories simply to have them. I'm one of those organic, immersive learners. If I don't feel the need to know how to do something specific, chances are I'm not going to waste my time figuring it out. Which is why, 3 years later, I'm only now starting to learn the secret things about my serger. Mind you, I'm really hopeful about - and looking forward to - some awesome, professional-grade hems on all of my garments as I figure out how that function works. And I hope I figure it out quickly!

Please stay tuned for more info on this wonderful gift as I begin to understand it.

One other thing, Lord help me: I think I have to confess that I really have taken to this top: 

The shoulders are too wide, fyi, so it's not perfect. But I'm half-inclined to make it again (after removing an inch of width from the shoulder seam, grading to nothing at the underarm). I'm still not recommending it and I don't know that I can bear to bring myself to re-undertake the slog. Point is, I really should avoid those categorical pronouncements I enjoy so much.

Today's questions: Don't you think I'm SO lucky!? What's your top piece of advice about using a coverstitch machine? Tips and tricks are so welcome! Let's talk!

32 comments:

  1. You ARE so lucky- but I"m pretty sure your deserve it! ;) I remember you hated knitting socks too, and came around to that one... let's call it part of your process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I don't know about deserving it - but I sure am going to enjoy it! :-) I like calling it part of my process. Good call.

      Delete
  2. Blessed, truly blessed and your top is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOH you're going to love the cover stitch.

    I have one and the best piece of advice I can give you is sample cards for various fabrics. I have the 900 (model before yours) and I do have to slightly adjust for different fabrics. I use note cards to staple a stitched fabric sample with settings and fabric type/blend info. That gives me something to refer to so I'm not starting from square one each time I use it. I'm getting better at looking at the stitch and knowing what to adjust but the cards still come in handy.

    Love the top nad especially the color. It does look like it's wide in the shoulder even on the form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a terrific idea Debbie. Here's hoping I can be that organized!

      And the shirt is too wide. But live and learn...

      Delete
  4. Woohooo!!! Congrats!! You'll be thrilled with it!

    Look up Debbie cook's tutorials... The humongous Patternreview thread might put you off but they do have sticky thread with quick pointers for people like me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already been reading both of these resources! Thanks, Kay.

      Delete
  5. SOOOO lucky! enjoy that machine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise to enjoy it enough for everyone!

      Delete
  6. Fantastic - the cover stitch is well-deserved. You make the majority of your clothes, etc. . . so this is another tool in your arsenal which will get good use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Pam. I do make most of my clothing these days, which is why I want them to look as much like professional RTW as possible!

      Delete
  7. I'm seriously green-eyed with envy over your new toy! And for having such an enabler husband! Especially when you don't even sew for him!

    Anyway, I think that blouse turned out fab, it looks like it would be so fun with some pink jeans...not sure what made me think that, but there it is. My mind works in mysterious ways sometimes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I totally don't sew for him. That's disgraceful (and unlikely to change). And pink jeans - you are rather inspired lately!

      Delete
    2. Maybe I'm finally starting to get some fashion sense? ;-) Or else I'm starting to embrace it, LOL.

      Delete
    3. I say, go looking for some pink denim!

      Delete
  8. Happy birthday! )
    And oh... it was so sweet of your husband!
    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - birthday isn't till next week. I'm trying to get as many presents in advance as possible :-)

      Delete
  9. Lucky is putting it mildly. Scott wins the enabler of the year award.

    I'm not surprised at all the top is growing on you. It looks pretty awesome to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Well the top has good lines but the fit is still a bit off. Why am I so compulsive??

      Delete
  10. Congrats and happy birthday! You'll love it. My man loves getting me machines too, I'm so grateful :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good quality in a life-partner, yes? :-)

      Delete
  11. Enjoy that new machine. As already mentioned, read Debbie Cook's tutorials, but especially the one for ending the stitching. This is the best method and not the one the dealer taught me.

    I often use the same "regular" sewing thread for the top threads (the ones that will look like top stitching on the face of the garment) and serger thread for the looper. This way the stitching that shows matches everything else and the finer thread in the back seems smoother and more flexible.

    My hubby is also a sewing enabler and has bought me several machines. One that was completely unexpected was a straight stitch only machine because I complained so much about the crappy straight stitch from my expensive do-it-all machine. I really doubted that I would be happy without a zigzag stitch capability, but the machine has the most beautiful straight stitch and it is the one that stays in the cabinet all the time. Since then we've traded the expensive one in on a "less capable" multi-stitch machine that I put on the dining room table when I need some other stitch type.

    Lois K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lois! I saw that ending method - it seems a bit weird but, I guess, so does everything you've never tried before. And I agree about using the topstitch thread for the needles and the serger thread for the loopers. Husband enablers are the best, yes? :-)

      Delete
  12. What a lovely hubby! Mine enables too. It's wonderful.

    I can't believe you're going back for seconds on the knit top! I feel no temptation to join you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hasn't happened yet. And, if I don't do it soon, it probably won't happen at all :-)

      Delete
  13. My husband bought me my Coverstitch as a birthday present too. We are both lucky!
    And that top is gorgeous. I'm not surprised you love it, even if it was a brat to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay, a coverstitch machine :). Wishing you a belated Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete