Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Start Saving

Austerity is not my strong-suit, though I would be wise to exercise a modicum of it in the next little while.

Which is why I am so tormented by this post today. OMG, if you are a lady with an ample rack, you need not fear this spring. A shout out goes to Cheryl, from Invest in Your Chest, who is super plugged into the UK lingerie scene (IMO, the best scene evah for the large-breasted among us). She writes some excellent reviews of some excellent brands - and she doesn't pretend to love everything.

I've pulled just a few photos (all courtesy of IIYC) of the sets I suspect that cannot live without:

Look at the awesome patchwork thing going on in this Miss Mandalay set. Sure, it's lightly padded (aka structured), which is the only thing that may prevent me from purchasing it.

Egad! It's shiny! It's floral, but weird. I love the colours. This set is by Elomi, a brand that tends to work for women with broad backs and those who aren't twigs.

I refer to this tonal palette as "ballet coloured". I have wanted a yellow bra for so long. Just ask anyone to whom I've bitched. This one's a Freya, my best brand. I don't think there's a chance in hell I won't be pre-ordering this one :-)
While we're on the Freya bandwagon, and I have been for about 10 years, here are some other fantastic options.

Pretty Dots:



Pretty Bows:


Pretty Florals:

Do you see how the under band is fluttery? Sigh.

Oh how I wish someone would invite me to participate in one of these trade shows, all expenses paid (natch), so that I could write of these reviews first-hand. In the meanwhile, Cheryl provides some very interesting observances about the trends for next spring.

I just want to reiterate this: If you've got big tits, there is no reason to feel like the lingerie fairies have forgotten you. Sure, the cheap lingerie fairies have forgotten you - but there are only so many of them to go around. And the truth is, your boobs (if they are large), need more architecture than the cute, cheap brands are able to provide. Consider it R&D. Then save your pennies (if you don't have lots of them), and buy some good stuff. You will never regret it. And you'll be supporting an industry that matters to an ever expanding subset of the population.

Questions: Which of these is your fave? Do you like the pastel palette? Have you tried any of these brands and, if yes, what are your thoughts?

22 comments:

  1. I love the fluttery one at the end, unfortunately these all look like the front straps would be in my armpit (typical, but still uncomfortable). :-(

    But I'll have to check out what she says, because this is kind of timely. I've apparently *ahem* outgrown all the bras I bought last time. Seriously, I'm pretty sure puberty ended around 10 years ago, but my chest seems to disagree....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother has experienced that strap challenge too! Hey, I say, when you outgrow a bra, it's a chance to buy a new and even better one :-)

      Delete
  2. Wonderful lingerie! And, as I mentioned to you, your writing gives me a kick, the Life Lessons was a hoot, had me LOL. "from which I could not escape." Can't wait to see your new sunglasses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cherie! It was funny cuz it was true :-)

      Delete
  3. I love Chantelle ($$$) and Felina ($$). I also tell all my students (and clients, when I have taken them on) to go to a good lingerie store and get fitted for a bra once a year or whenever you lose or gain a fair amount (5 lbs plus). The right size bra will make you look 10 lbs lighter and 10 years younger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are SO right to tell your sewing peeps to reconsider their size (and brands that work for them) every year or on significant weight change. We are always evolving into our current shape so we need to stay on top of what it actually is! Chantelle and Felina are beautiful brands but the shaping doesn't tend to work for me, alas.

      Delete
  4. I love the first and last ones. I'm partial to freya too. Actually until recently all my bras were freya, now after a trip to bravissimo while i was over in the uk i have added a couple of the bravissimo own brand ones to the mix. I actually got 4 bras and 2 sets of undies for how much i would spend on two bras over here in Australia, you think you find it expensive, try shopping in the stores over here! That's why i generally limit my bra shopping to when i'm in the UK on holiday or buying new colours of a cut i already have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel: I'm always bitching about getting stuff in Canada and shipping costs etc, but whenever I do, I remind myself that y'all in Australia have it so much tougher! Of course, you do get to live in the gorgeousness of Australia - but I'm sure that's cold comfort when you want a new bra now.

      Delete
  5. My favourite brand by far is Prima Donna. The fit is just superior to everything else. Unfortunately, so is the price. But it is really worth it.
    Freya fits me okay, but the bridge pokes into my sternum, very uncomfortable after a few hours, so I hardly wear the set I have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilde: This is a fave brand for many women I know! I haven't really experimented with it. I should branch out :-) And I know what you mean about the fit of the gores on Freya. They work perfectly on my body, but they're very specific (esp. on the balconette bras). If it doesn't work for you, best to stay away or try another style.

      Delete
  6. wow! those designs look really good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I looooove Freya. And despite looking terrible in pastels, I love the 'ballet-coloured' one the most!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kat: I'm all over it! And I'm not a pastel wearer either, but something about a ballet coloured bra just makes me crazy!

      Delete
  8. Yes, get the yellow! And the coral polka dots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or how about the blue polka dots. How am I to choose??

      Delete
  9. The first and last are calling my name! I think that even for the small of breast, investing in beautiful and well-made lingerie can really give a gal a boost (while giving her gals a boost, too. ha).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! Of course, I advocate that everyone buy the best they can afford. We know what skill goes into making a bra that fits and is beautiful. It shouldn't be cheap because a good bra costs to manufacture.

      Delete
  10. ok, i love the ones with the dots! i have the big tits. lol. it is not easy to find my size, but thankfully i can and do. we like lingerie, TOO!!! we deserve to look pretty and sexy even if we have big cans, and it is nice that some in the industry cater to us.

    and, like you, i would LOVE to participate in one of these trade shows! how fun and fab would that be?!?!??!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J: I know! Can you imagine going around to all of those little kiosks and trying the merch to see how it fits (I don't know if you're allowed to do this, but in my version of the experience you are). Maybe they give you a goodie bag!!

      Delete
  11. Try www.brastop.com. Most of their stuff is a season late. So if the ones you are liking are in a retail store now. You could probably find them in a couple of months on their site. And at 1/2 to 3/4th the price of a retail store in the us. Even with the currency exchange.

    Also, take a look at their exchange/return policy and reasons its awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon: I totally agree. I've been buying stuff from there for a couple of years. (I have written about it, but not for a while.) You might also like Large Cup Lingerie - it's not as inexpensive (unless things are on sale) but the policies are just as good, the selection of Freya is better and there's no shipping to anywhere in the world.

      I just don't know if I can wait an extra season to purchase these :-)

      Delete