Sunday, August 19, 2012

A Review of My Fabric Inventory

The best way to figure out what you want to make, is to see what you've got hanging around. (Rachel's done it particularly well, lately.)

I visited with my stash today, pulling out the larger lots of fabric. I don't intend to get carried along on the little wings of half a yard.

Here are my best options:

Silk Crepe - About 1.25 yards (every shot was blurry for some unfathomable reason...)

Synthetic (like a heavy silk) - 2 yards

Modal - 2.5 yards

Synthetic (like a heavy silk, but with firmer hand and less drape than the electric blue above) - 2.5 yards

Synthetic - thin-gauge sweater knit with good drape - 2 yards

Insanely beautiful reversible cashmere knit, another wonderful gift from Mardel - 2.5 yards

As you can see, everything I've got in stock is best for making a dress or a top. Next up, I've got to determine what patterns I might use for each of these. But, again, if you've got any suggestions, I'm happy to hear them!

8 comments:

  1. I wonder if you have enough fabric. I know, you said that these are only certain larger pieces, but I could never fit any subset of my fabric stash in one short blog post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilarious! You know, I did start to feel like I was missing some basics - jacket and pants-weight wool, denim. But I did go through a lot of fabric in the winter and spring and I'm trying to use what I've got. What's taking up space in my stash cupboard is the large remnants I can't bear to part with - 1/2 a yard-ish (I do occasionally find uses for them) and lots of lingerie fabrics and notions. (Given how infrequently I use them, and what challenges I've had making a bra that fits, that seems crazy. But these fabrics are hard to come by and expensive.

      I do have a couple of other large pieces I didn't pull out. One is a plaid I cannot bring myself to deal with (I bought it before I had any idea) and the other is a rayon jersey I've used in other projects.

      Delete
    2. You could use at least the fabric and elastic portions of your lingerie supplies on panties. After making my own, I'll never go back to storebought ones....well, at least not after I've got enough that I can throw the others away so that I don't have to wear them on "laundry day(s)". ;-)

      As for the fabrics shown above, I'm not very good at choosing what to make with the fabrics I have, so you should probably be grateful I'm not offering suggestions on those, LOL!

      Delete
    3. I have to make some undies - I have patterns and there's that great one on Oh Lulu. The issue is that I only wear matching sets. So I'm pretty well limited to making something black or beige to match the couple of bras I have that fit that description.

      Delete
  2. I would say a wrap dress for the first if it has a bit of drape. I like the plum knit - I would probably want to make a cardigan with that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking of doing the 50s magic blouse (that one I made in the spring) with this fabric...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pics are so much better than mine though! I want to go back and make swirls with all my jersey for pictures like that! ... except I've cut into three of the pieces already - the inventory worked! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honey - the swirly ones are the stock photos from fabric.com (I bought the fabric from them and already linked to the site once about the purchase of those fabrics, but I should probably accredit them again...)

      Delete