Friday, August 31, 2012

Having Your Cake

OK, I continue to feel like utter crap. I appear to be a) sick and b) unable to sleep. WTF? That's a treat of a combo, let me tell you. And, since Scott has advised he can't stand to hear me complain one more time, I have to use this as my platform. 

But, enough about me, let me tell you about a new pattern that flips my sewing switch:

Tiramisu by Steph at Cake
 Have you seen this? No one's made it yet because it doesn't quite exist - it's Coming Soon.

Why does it appeal so much to me:
  • The designer, Steph, has an awesome blog which is how I know she takes fit very seriously. In fact, in one of her posts she discussed how the dress will come with bust sizes (A, B, C, D) though you can't go by those measurements alone because they aren't relevant independent of back sizes. So true, peeps. So true.
  • The line drawing appears to show a dress cut for a woman with a prominent chest / small frame. I mean, of course, one assumes most busts will look lovely in it (cuz the sizing is plentiful and targeted). Though you can't go by pictures alone, it does appear to be the kind of shape that will work well on me.
  • To wit, Steph models her version of it and it looks adorable:
  • In case you're into chevrons, the pattern is comes with stripe-alignment instructions.
  • I love the drape, the straight-meets-bias grain fall, the highlighting of real-waist. My mother used to wear dresses like this when I was a kid.
  • It's designed for a knit. Who doesn't love a lovely weekend project that produces a dress in a knit fabric.
At any rate, there's a giveaway happening on Steph's blog today and, if you win, you'll have some lovely fabric perfect for making this dress when the pattern is available.

Now I'm going to curl up on the couch with hot water and Netflix. Note to people who live with me: If you don't want to hear me complain, don't work from home.

PS: Did I mention they've been banging around like banshees on the new third floor. Dry wall, taping, plastering, siding - could they not be slightly fucking delicate about it?

PPS: They're not going to meet the "on-time" portion of the project plan. This thing was supposed to be done today. What a surprise.

16 comments:

  1. Illness and home reno -- never a good combo. Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So generous of you to preview such a cute pattern for us (says I, who doesn't even sew anymore but loves this anyway!) -- listening to your complaints in the least we can do in return. And it's easy to be sympathetic given what you're putting up with -- I do hope you feel better soon. I'd wish the builders out of your place for you, so you'd have some peace and quiet, but I guess you want them working now 'til they're finished. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love being thought of as generous rather than as a whiny complainer :-) I'm already on the mend. Though I sense there's not going to be a lot of action in my weekend.

      Delete
  3. Could the banging and assorted noises also be a factor in lack of sleep? Whine away, it's your platform to get it out there, I know I do (stupid ragweed).

    I am a fan of Tirimisu too, I'll be purchasing when it's available.

    Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lack of sleep has definitely not helped. :-)

      Delete
  4. So cute! I'm totally into knits these days. Off to check out Steph's blog - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's a very cute dress - i think it would look smashing on you :)

    people are gearing up for a long weekend here - hope you feel better soon!!

    also - been dealing with a horrendous customer service experience and posted on my blog. if you could help spread the word in any way, that would be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I have to say your shoe story is wretched - esp. since I have to have a pair of Ferragamos resoled. (They're vintage shoes.) Keep us posted. I hope it's all well-resolved in the end.

      Delete
  6. Oooh! Thanks for the shout-out! :D I can't wait to show y'all the rest of the art/pattern pieces... Well, some of it... :)

    Oh no! I'm so sorry you're not feeling well! Look after yourself and have heaps of soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I can't wait either. I suppose I'm not one of the 15 testers, alas, or I'd have heard by now. But I do look forward to having a chance to buy the pattern as soon as it's available. And, with any luck, I'll win that fabric :-)

      Delete
  7. That's a really nice pattern! I'd like to have a go at it! But first I have to tackle endless other things. lol.
    Again, get well soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, it'll be there when you're ready!

      Delete
  8. So sorry to hear that you are ill! I hope you get to feeling better soon and that all of that banging stops soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks R! I've been reading your adventures with enjoyment. Seems like you've got a great new life happening. And so many goals! :-)

      Delete