Sunday, May 6, 2012

The Tailored Suit: It's Done!!!!

Somehow I managed to beat my self-imposed finished suit deadline by a week. Given that I've been working on this thing ceaselessly since the beginning of time, I don't really know how that's possible. Not that I'm complaining. If I had to spend another day sorting it all out I think I would lose my mind.

What do you want to see first? The whole shebang? (On dress form still. You don't actually think I can be seen at this post-sewing-frenzy juncture. My greasy hair is plastered to my greasy face.) Or maybe I should show some pics the finished skirt and lead up to the suit.

What? You really don't care because at this point you are totally fucking sick of this theme? Amen to that, bloggy friends.

I'll choose for us.

Here's the high-waisted pencil skirt (V8640), which I lined (the pattern does not come with lining instructions) and faced with petersham ribbon:

Ooh, nice darts!

And the zipper inserted like this FIRST TIME OUT???

The skirt is really more straight than pencil...

And here's the interior - that silk is as awesome in the skirt as in the jacket. I slip stitched the lining to the hand hemmed skirt (same method as I used on the jacket). It's not bagged but it looks very lovely nonetheless. As gravity weights the silk, it will fall over the top of the skirt hem and create a jump pleat.

Honestly, that petersham couldn't have worked better.  You have to go to Sunni's shop and buy some now! I don't think I'll ever make a regular facing or waistband again. And I'm a total convert to lining a skirt. Not a casual summer one, but tailored, fancy ones.

In truth, the skirt profile is still too thick for my liking. This suit is most definitely winter weight. It'll manage in early spring or late fall but I think it's going to have a bit more limited application than I had originally hoped.  I have a lot more I could say about making the skirt. In short, it was a delight with some road blocks thrown in for good measure. Get it, good measure??!

OK, here's the completed suit:



Eeeeeek!!! Can you believe I made this??

Let's take a moment to reflect. I. MADE. THIS. Like from a few metres of fabric and some notions.

I'm less conflicted now about the jacket construction process than I was last week, which is to say that I'm definitively disappointed with many elements of the Craftsy course. I'm not going to crowd this happy post with that discussion, but I will speak more about it in the near future.

This weekend was very full of sewing. My sewing friend, S, came over and we worked on her pants sloper. Let me just say that fitting is a serious learning curve. Armed with Sarah Veblen's book (which is so worth the money, it's not funny) and a lot of pins, I did my best to be helpful, but I have ever more respect for S's abilities as I see what awesome fitting help she provided to me, while I can barely envision how to place the pins. I'm intent on improving.

Tomorrow S and I are starting a Pattern Review course on bodice fitting - taught by the same Sarah Veblen who wrote the book! I should have more to tell on that front as we begin the online tutorial. S has taken courses on Pattern Review with SV before and I'm heartened to hear that Ms. Veblen responds to questions, throughout the duration of the course time frame, multiple times per day.

So, there you go. One things done and the next is ready to begin. Gotta love that.

53 comments:

  1. Wow! I am so impressed. This looks fantastic. Kudos to you for sticking with this and turning out a beautiful suit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! In truth, so am I :-) I can't believe I didn't chuck it out the window, though.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on the finish! So fast too - even with your trials and tribulations! I'd love to see it on - it looks like a perfect fit!

    I think the fitting class is a great idea - I don't have a pants sloper myself, BTW.

    Congrats again - what an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! So fast?!?!? It's been an eternity in my brain :-)

      Delete
  3. Absolutely fracking gorgeous!! Especially knowing all the time and tears you put into it. Love the lining and the contrast petersham, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally want that suit! Definitely more of a winter autumn suit - you will definitely be warm in it. I like the Petersham waistband on the skirt. I would have never thought of doing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is more autumn than spring, sadly given what season I'm going into :-) You really should try the petersham. As I've mentioned, it's easier than doing a regular waistband.

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh!! This looks AMAZING!! Congrats! I can't WAIT to see you model this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginger! I promise, photos will be coming...

      Delete
  6. Congratulations! It is totally amazing! I hope we get to see it on you soon. Every detail is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail! You have to make a suit now too. I mean, after you finish your closet full of gorgeous spring sweaters.

      Delete
  7. It looks fantastic! All your hard work has definitely paid off. I can't wait to see what it looks like on your.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The suit looks so great! Wonderful job!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't sew at all, but I've been fascinated by this series of posts. I'm so impressed both with your process and the beautiful finished product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow thank you! - that's a credit to my posts :-) I can barely understand what I'm saying half the time and I'm writing it! Hope I haven't put you off the craft.

      Delete
  10. Gorgeous! I can't wait to see the modeled pictures--I can't believe you waited to take them, even with greasy hair/skin. ;-)

    You definitely got this done pretty fast considering the work involved, so you must be the fastest seamstress in the North! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've obviously never seen the amount of grease to which I am referring. :-) How I got it done so fast was by never bothering to bathe. But don't tell. It's a secret.

      Delete
  11. Congratulations, Kristin! I too hope you will model it for us. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Zowie! I can't wait to see it on you. So very very impressed that you've persevered through all this (especially given my tendency these days to lapse into children's sewing at the least hint of frustration.) Congratulations! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My child would like it if I would deign to make something for her on occasion. Think of it as family-hobby management.

      Delete
  13. This is so beautiful :) Looking forward to seeing you wear it!
    And I got that fitting book too (on yours and others' advice). I'm still hoping I'll be able to understand fitting one day.. you're right, it's a steep learning curve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That book takes tons of reading and rereading to really get the gist of. Trust me, I am finding myself in the same learning curve boat.

      Delete
  14. Stunning! It would have gone out of the window in this house, so kudos for sticking with it. It's certainly worth the work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot tell you how close this came to throwing it out the window. It was a minute-by-minute keeping on, I tell you.

      Delete
  15. your work is inspiring, along with your matter-of-fact attitude. Thank you for allowing me to follow you progress.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It was all worth it in the end! Beautiful. This weekend I watched Susan Kahlje's "Couture Dress" Craftsy course and I'll be interested to hear what you thought of the one you took.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P: What do you think of that course? It's on my list of things to sign up for!

      Delete
  17. Your work is inspiring, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yeah! Your suit looks absolutely gorgeous and I can't wait to see you model it. Congratulations on a job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantastic job!! I seriously can't wait to see photos of you wearing this. You rock!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is way too fabulous! But so are you, so that's a good match. Cannot wait to see you modeling it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Whoa, I am seriously impressed! Beautiful work; I can't wait to see pictures of it on you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kristin,
    It is great. I'm so glad you have finished it!
    I finished my jacket. I will post some pictures on the Craftsy site when I get around to taking them. Even with the muslin, I'm not sure the fit is great (the back sticks out a bit oddly on me) I seriously need instructions on fitting. I have done some reading and it doesn't seem to take. I'm so glad you were able to slog through all those muslins to get the fit correct.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victoria: I'll check for those photos. I am sure your finished jacket will be beautiful! Fitting is key with this kind of project, I've come to understand, and the course does not teach it at all (not that it purports to). I really recommend Sarah Veblen's book for future reference.

      Delete
  23. Wow is all I can say! I just got caught up on your saga and honey I admire your determination!! It looks great! That sucka would be handed down from generations to generations in my family lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My kid is gonna wear this in 30 years whether it fits her or not :-)

      Delete
  24. Oona just pointed me here since I'm getting ready to start the Starlet Jacket course. (I've been here before, long ago, but now you've been added to my reader.) I have to admit that I'm a bit nervous now. Your fabulous finished suit makes it look worth all of the effort, but wow. Labor of love is right. Bravo, and I can't wait to see it on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy: I'm sorry if this puts a damper of any sort on your own process. I know you are an excellent seamstress and that you will do a great jacket. I would say, consider which pattern you choose to make. The Craftsy course will work with another pattern, after all. And if you decide to make the Starlet Suit Jacket, just be aware of the parts I have been challenged by. You might not have the same experience. But by all means, please share your thoughts! If you disagree with my experience, I really want to know.

      Delete
  25. Wear it and be proud! Luscious, beautiful work. Congratulations on finishing, and before your deadline!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Aha! My Petersham waistband does not look like yours i.e. done the proper way! I just wrapped my waistband piece over it, so the ribbon is totally enclosed. Next time, I'll try to do it the recommended way, though for the record, it does still make for a good waistband!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows what the proper way is? If it works and you love it, that's what counts!

      Delete
  27. Mate, this is amazing! You should have a glass of wine and play 'Queen- We are the champions' in celebration of making this dress!

    A-mazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have had many glasses of wine and run around singing that!!

      Delete