Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Tailored Suit: Buttons Sewn On!

I'm not going to model this until the skirt is complete, but I have to say I'm very pleased with the fabric-covered buttons, which I attached this evening:

Here's the jacket unbuttoned...

And here it is buttoned up!

I have to reiterate that this dress form doesn't fit the jacket like I do. My shape is narrower and my chest is larger. Happily, it fits me better than it does the form.

A few deets:
  • The buttons were strange to sew on, what with the fabric on the back. However, they have attached very well, so there you go.
  • I purchased 2 different types of buttons: flat and half-ball. Originally, I chose the combination raised shape but, button-maker Pat was in touch with me to advise that the fashion fabric is too thick to use on most of the shapes. The only two shapes that would work are the ones I got. Can I reiterate that I intend to make my next suit jacket with something slim and drapey??
  • In fact, Pat advised that she'd need to make the buttons a bit smaller than usual, given the girth of the fabric and the size of my finished buttonholes. The buttonholes are 1 inch finished and the buttons are a size 30.
  •  At any rate, I actually affixed the half-ball version. They are slightly more robust than the flat ones. 
  • As mentioned, heretofore sewing on buttons has been an uncomfortable activity. How does one figure out where to affix them (vs the buttonholes)? How does one get them to attach stably? Happily, the Craftsy course actually explicates the specifics of doing this (even as Gertie is slightly apologetic for teaching something that everyone on the planet already knows).
Oh, I am so happy to look at this garment and admire the work that's gone into it.

This weekend my goal is to construct the skirt. Something tells me you'll be hearing about that.

20 comments:

  1. That's so cool! And sounds like ordering your buttons from a pro really helped the buttons to come out right. :)
    All your hard work is paying off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say I'm almost starting to forget the misery :-)

      Delete
  2. Wow! That is one fantastic suit!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhhh! This looks amazing! Model it, please!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful, Kristin! I can't wait to see the whole suit modeled!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for buttons! You're so close to the finish line now! It's a beautiful jacket, one that you have every right to be extremely proud to wear. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! The buttons were not as scary as I expected them to be :-)

      Delete
  6. I'm looking forward to you modelling it! Good luck with the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am super impressed. i know it was crazy, but it really looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be so happy to have a handmade finished suit at the end of this. I might even make another one soon :-) (Not using the same jacket pattern though...)

      Delete
  8. The jacket looks great. I am still struggling with the lining on mine. I'm hoping to get it done this weekend. Thanks for sharing your progress. It has helped me a lot (except I would have liked some warning on those buttonhole facings. Gretchen makes them look easy, I didn't even do a test run.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear you're still struggling. That lining was very difficult, I agree. I mean, it took me 16 hours to insert it. Consider the option of making those extra tucks at the back facing area, if your challenge is the same as mine was (too much fabric around the back neck). Of course, I had other fitting problems with the lining (at the armsyce) so you may need to adjust for that too... Keep us posted on your progress.

      Delete
  9. she's perfect. i'm crossing everything crossable that you have a finished suit by sunday eve. please godyawehbuddhaandyoda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you!! I need all the gods to be contacted - and the sewing goddess.

      Delete
  10. Bravo! Seriously, you need an award for sticking with it and making such a fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete