Thursday, February 9, 2012

Updated: Remind Me Not To Do This Again...

OK, my fabric from Fabric Mart has arrived, and I have to say, the whole experience was a huge pain in the ass. The company has just changed its international shipping policy (yes, Canada is considered to be international, although Pennsylvania - shipping hub - is closer to Toronto than, say, half of the continental US) and, new courier firm, FedEx won't actually leave parcels at a receiver's door - even if a) the vendor and then b) the receiver indicate this preference.

I spent a good, stressful, 30 minutes on the phone with both Fabric Mart and FedEx to try to resolve this. Fabric Mart, apparently, lobbied unsuccessfully with FedEx on my behalf. In the end, I convinced the shipping dept. to leave the parcel on my porch "as long as the courier felt comfortable with the security of the environment". The alternative would have been to return the fabric as I'm not hauling ass for an hour by public transit to pick up a parcel. Fabric Mart agreed that this wouldn't be reasonable and agreed to refund my money for returned fabric - though not for the $30.00 of shipping (half of the total charge for 4.5 yards of fabric).

Every fucking time I order fabric online (twice now) or other stuff that arrives from America via courier (too many times to count), I have such a dicey experience. Somehow things never implode when I order from the UK.

Yes, I've got an axe to grind. I shouldn't have to order things to my American parents for re-post to me (USPS creates fewer difficulties). I shouldn't have to pay $30.00 for the privilege of crappy service. I blame Fabric Mart as much as FedEx. If they cared about my regular business, they wouldn't be charging me almost 400% more in shipping than they do someone who lives 2 hours drive away from me (on the other side of the Canada-US border). And they wouldn't expect me to manage the stupidity of bad courier service. Indeed, they wouldn't be using bad courier service.

In brief defense of Fabric Mart, they have recently changed their shipping method because the post office in the region is closing. And they were assured, so they told me, that FedEx wouldn't erect barriers to simple delivery. Of course, they should have beta tested that on someone other than me, no? They did say, were I to order from them again, that I could indicate a preference for USPS shipping and they'd find a way to make it happen. I wonder if they're advertising that to others, or if they'll change their newly minted FedEx arrangement in light of what they've just discovered about FedEx.

The sad thing about this situation is that the fabric I received is good. The modal is actually of excellent quality and the colour is great. It came with matched thread (for extra $). And the lavender sweater knit, while synthetic to the touch, does not look it. It's got lovely drape and hand.

But you know what they say: Challenging fabric-buying experience, good sewing experience. Or is that something I made up?

Update to respond to Kay's comment about shopping local: Trust me, I shop local more often than I order online re: every kind of item except for RTW lingerie. If I can buy a) Canadian-made products and/or b) anything from local shops I will every time - unless the prices are sincerely out of control (as is the case with RTW lingerie). When the costs are outrageous, I have to decide how to spend my money and, sometimes I will buy online. Note: Vis a vis local lingerie - I bought at bricks and mortar shops for 10 years before I got sick of the mark up. So I did my time supporting that local import, IMO.

Now, on the topic of buying fabric locally - except for 2 occasions (the latest from Fabric Mart, documented yesterday) - I have done this every time. I am frequently dismayed by the lack of good knits, specifically sweater options, in luxe textiles. I've been known to spend 30 bucks a yard on fabric at a local shop, simply to support my continued ability to purchase locally in the future.

This summer, the last large-scale Canadian fabric store (FabricLand) closed shop at the only central location they had remaining (at Yonge and Bloor), despite the fact that I spent hundreds of dollars a year there while it was around. Now there are no full-service options left that I can get to with any convenience - I don't have a car and I don't hoof it to the middle of nowhere - I live downtown for a reason.

I support King Textiles, World Sew and numerous other small shops in the garment district on a regular basis. Sometimes, I want something that I can't find in TO so I go off-road. I'm not apologizing for it. I very strongly believe in shopping locally. I also believe in getting what I want.

PS: I have routinely spoken with shop-keepers of all ilks about stocking my preferred items. Sometimes they're game - and I keep on with them. Other times they decline for a variety of economic or logistical reasons, in which case I look elsewhere. Thanks for raising this question, Kay.

16 comments:

  1. I can't really relate to your experience (since I'm not from Canada), but it seems ridiculous that the FedEx delivery policy is any different where you are than where I am. Sorry that you had to go through that. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know I'm a huge complainer, but I've got a bee in my bonnet. :-)

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry that you've had such a terrible experience. That was my one challenge with FM changing to FedEx too. I believe that they went for the cheaper option but after talking with them I worked out a solution. I am glad that you like the fabric though. I wore my twinsets to work today and it held up well. Hopefully your sewing experience is better than your shipping/delivery experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C: You know, the finished product is just what I was looking for so I have to go with a "means justify the ends" philosophy. I'm very intrigued to hear that you have had the same issue and you live around the corner (relatively speaking). I keep thinking about how great your twinset looks and it's keeping me psyched. :-)

      Delete
  3. You made that up. Is there no way a neighbour or local depot would hold it for you. I had similar issues with a courier who wanted to drop in into local shops- my hairdresser and the Doctors acted like it was a drugs drop. Supermarket said no problem. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, that is a great idea. My hair dresser is on the corner. Why didn't I consider asking them to accept a parcel?!

      Delete
  4. It seems so ridiculous to be so difficult to order things from the US when you live so close, how frustrating. Is it the same for US people who order stuff from Canada?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, now that's a good question and I don't know the answer cuz I haven't done the flipside research. I will say, Americans rarely order from Canada, in the scheme of things, because we don't have anywhere near the infrastructure or production of durable goods that American consumers have already. Effectively, we produce raw materials here. (I'm being very general, of course we have lots of online stores, but even Canadians rarely shop from them, in the scheme of things, because there's more choice in America. You can see the bind. Which is why I'm grateful for the UK.

      Delete
    2. I have ordered from Elann Yarns in Canada a few times, and found the shipping to the US to be pretty expensive, and VERY slow. Why are these customs people, USPS and Canada Post standing in the way of our need for quick, inexpensive delivery of our crafting materials?! What is wrong with them?!

      Delete
    3. I don't know - but it's interesting to hear that the problem goes both ways!

      Delete
  5. But K., you live in Toronto which has excellent brick-and-mortar fabric shopping! Do you not care about the survival of your local sources? And yes, while geographically close, the USA is a foreign country, and there is an international border between our two countries, and local (national) postage rules and rates do actually differ. I agree that international shipping charged by on-line vendors is, by and large, outrageously expensive. However, you DO have a choice. Buy local!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay: I'm going to respond to this in the actual post - see update...

      Delete
  6. I hear you. My one US order from SewSassy took forever and a day plus the duty charges on top of shipping. And as for shipping Canada to the US - I suspect the dollar being on par doesn't help the relative price.

    I'm sad to hear that Fabricland closed. I visited it once but didn't really have time to shop (as it was I think I got a ticket for expired parking), it seemed busy when I was there. I feel fortunate that I have 4 Fabriclands that are on my route to one workplace or another. The Empress Walk (across from Mel Lastman Square) Fabricland isn't too far off the subway, but it is pretty far north relative to Dundas.

    I have actually yet to shop for fabric in the garment district. When I'm in Toronto it's either with my husband or in the evening. Neither situation allows for much more than drooling at windows on the way to the Cameron House.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so traumatized when that location closed. Seriously - I could get the best denim there and they had good notions and patterns. It was the kind of full service store that I can't find anywhere now. Not without getting on some form of transport for 40 minutes each wat!

      Delete
  7. First, I'm SOOO glad you liked the fabric! I'd feel really bad and guilty if you'd thought it was crap. And I'd have to re-evaluate my fabric rating skills! LOL

    But, wow! That really sucks with the shipping. Actually, I've found that when I mail or ship something to Canada (from NY) for work, it's really hit or miss. Sometimes a letter takes 10 days. Other times a package takes 2. No rhyme or reason as far as I can tell. That said, I've had occasional issues with FedEx within the 48 contiguous states too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, now Sera (above) has joined our ranks - she just bought some too :-)

      I'm now hearing that FedEx sucks no matter where you are - and it is true, sometimes (when shipping to Canada) it can take 2 weeks - or 2 days. Infuriating. I don't even mind waiting for the package as long as it doesn't cost me a zillion dollars in shipping.

      Delete