Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Basically...

Let's take stock of progress on the Spring Basics Palette:


Recall that the mandate is to make 6 "basics" in 12 weeks, using a spring colour-scheme (whatever that means), wearable throughout that season.

Well, so far I've been doing pretty well. I can check off:

Kwik Sew 3115 Lounge Pants:

They may not be exciting, but they sure are practical. To wit: I'm wearing them as I type this...

Jalie 2921 Scarf Collar Top:

I liked this pattern so much I used a remnant of a cheery orange to make a second, sleeveless version:


T Shirt "from TNT":

Needless to say, as this is the Magic Blouse and not my T shirt sloper, it's not the garment I originally planned on making - nor is it in the originally planned colour-scheme. Nonetheless, it counts!

Butterick 5681 Culottes:

No photo yet, peeps. Still coming to terms with this garment, though I did wear it to work last week - with the vintage Magic Blouse, of all things - and I actually got some unprompted compliments.

Technically I have but two items left to construct before April 1, in order to meet my target timeline: one bias cut Ginger Skirt, in a gorgeous cerise fabric, and the orange, double knit, Vogue 8413 cowl neck dress (sleeves tbd).

How I've Gone "Off Road" Sewing:

The sewing journey is rarely straight, though, and I've taken a fair number of detours already (which, objectively, in no way compromise the integrity of this adventure - even as I am the arbiter of said integrity). How have things gone other than planned?
  • The lounge pants were to be made in the grey cotton jersey but, in the absence of enough of that fabric, I used the aubergine bamboo jersey (chosen for the T shirt) instead.
  • The idea then, was to make the T shirt in the grey cotton jersey (check) but I opted not to use that pattern in the end. Instead I used it to make the Magic Blouse (see above), embellished with pretty, pink flowers. It's totally wearable and it's made of T shirt material, so it counts.
  • I loved the Jalie scarf top so much in the floral rayon jersey that I made it again, but without sleeves, using a remnant of orange rayon jersey in my stash (see both versions above). This was an unexpected but great use of stash fabric that I couldn't in good conscience trash, but that was not quite ample enough to make much of anything.
  • The culottes project turned into a whole side-adventure: an experiment comparing a modern version against a vintage version to determine which would work better on me. While the culottes are wearable (see blurb above), and while they have taught me a variety of valuable sewing lessons, I feel that these (which I sensed from the get-go would be the outliers) are still in wearable muslin format. The other 4 garments, however, are well-made, durable and highly-wearable staples.

Next on the list is likely to be the Ginger Skirt. After that, I'm going to start tailoring a suit jacket, using Gertie's new tailoring Craftsy course as a complement to pattern instructions. Still determining whether I'll make this one:

this one:


or the princess seam, peplumed 40s-style suit jacket that Gertie herself designed and teaches in the Craftsy course, inspired by Dior's mid-century New Look.

I will write more about her interactive tailoring course soon but, have to say, I have rarely learned as much about sewing as I did when I followed Gertie's Lady Gray Coat sew along in Fall 2010. Gretchen brings a passion to tailoring that is utterly infectious. And she's incredibly organized in her teaching style.

So, any thoughts about where I'm at with the Spring Palette? Have you signed up for the Craftsy course? Done any suit tailoring lately - or intend to do some soon? Do tell.

17 comments:

  1. As you know I've signed up for all three! But I think it will have to wait until my Uni course is done. Not too long to go!
    I love those Jalie tops! I definitely need to get sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Jalies are so quick. You will def have a bit of time for them!

      Delete
  2. You've really made great progress - I'm impressed! Makes me feel so haphazard!

    I love the cape-y jacket, but wonder how practical it would be. Could you wear it to work?

    I signed up for Gertie's Craftsy course too, on the advice of Stitch Parade, and I'm thinking about making the '60s style suit from Burda Style 7253: http://www.simplicity.com/p-7357-burda-style-dress-jacket.aspx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That jacket will look great on you! I think I could wear the jacket to work, but what do I know? Of course, I'd make it in a wool suiting. A really drapey one.

      Delete
  3. With only two items to go, you really have done well with your Spring Palette. I've signed up for Gertie's jacket class taking advantage of coupon, but won’t be going near it for a couple of months yet so I'm looking forward to seeing yours all done up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The discount was very good, yes? I'm looking forward to seeing my finished product too :-)

      Delete
  4. I really like the green jacket, impractical though it is. And you seem to be making good progress on your challenge. :-) So when do we get to see the pictures of the culottes? I'm dying to see these things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will show, promise. But I don't really have time for a photo shoot till weekend.

      Delete
  5. Nice Going!!!

    Did you make the Magic Blouse from Jalie 2921?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Magic Blouse is actually a pattern you can find in PDF by going here: http://shop.bramcostpublications.com/Vintage-1950s-Magic-Blouse-Pattern-1106-SW-MAGICBLOUSE.htm

      Delete
  6. I agree about the Lady Grey sew along. I saw a huge leap forward in my skills and confidence when I made my coat. I also took/bought the bombshell dress course. I didn't make the dress she was teaching, but wanted the course for some info/techniqes on working with boning and making a waist stay. It was well worth it. Gertie has a nice teaching style - calm and confident.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should probably sign up for the boning info alone - I'm about to embark on that adventure (see tomorrow's post).

      Delete
  7. I am so impressed with your progress! I tend to sew kind of at random, whatever strikes my fancy at the moment. And yes, sometimes projects get shifted to another fabric because my original yardage is just a tad too short. The Hubs says "buy 10 yards of everything!" but I'm pretty sure he doesn't understand what that would entail, ha.

    I have no feelings on making a coat. I have coat patterns I like, but have yet to come across the perfect marriage of material + pattern. Also, I live in a very temperate climate and really just need one coat -- a black rain coat. Which I have. HOWEVER, I'm going to go ahead and tell you to take Gertie's coat course complete with the peplum pattern....just because peplums are in right now. How's that for an uninformed opinion!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm at a stage that I need "a project" to keep me on track. It helps me to stay motivated, to learn new techniques (or to meet some expectation).

      Nothing uninformed about promoting peplums :-)

      Delete
  8. Oh my goodness you've been SO busy! I'm so jealous. I love, love, love the floral top! It's so pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks V! I know how much you have on your plate right now. You'll be back to your regular sewing mania, I mean, routine, in no time :-)

      Delete
  9. It seems like you're making great decisions based on what you need and what you have on hand. The culottes experiment is my favorite to read about.

    ReplyDelete