Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Kismet

I was at a sewing shop, buying some more orange thread for that dress I'm making, and looking for some additional seam binding, I learned about a new (to me) sewing shop.

Brief sidebar: While it's not ideal, I feel I have to finish what I've started with that finishing method. And I will use a 2-step method, foregoing the bias foot, for the remainder of the project.

Anyway, I headed over to the Leather and Sewing Supply Depot on Vanauley St. (between Bathurst and Spadina on a small side street just north of Queen). How I have never been there before is UTTERLY BEYOND ME. It was the most exciting sewing venue I've seen in a long time. Maybe ever.

People, they sell the spiral steel boning and other corseting supplies I ordered?! And a gizmo to cut the spirals easily (and it cost $4.50 cuz they one they usually sell for 6 bucks was all out of stock so they sold me the floor model?!) I have to talk more about this once I've completed my project.

They have all the cool shoulder pads the likes of which they sell in NYC. They have leather and fur hides. Seam and bias tape, zippers up the yin yang, every kind of notion, ribbons, buttons, snaps, things I've never even seen before. Tools to cut spiral boning, check?!?! Real wires for bras!!! I'm actually speechless with happiness.

The staff is attentive, knowledgeable, friendly. It's been around forever. It's old school and I love it.

Those of you who read this blog and sew - if you know about this place and you haven't told me, I forgive you. But only barely. Do not walk, run to this venerable establishment.

One other fun thing: When I was looking around, I found myself asking the very seamstress-y matriarch for all kinds of sewing things, without batting an eye i.e. "Do you happen to have Betweens in a size 7?", and "Is that ribbon all Grosgrain or do you also have some Petersham?" And, no joke, she answered me just like I was some chick who'd been sewing forever. It's as if I was speaking fluent Sewlish!

Following this dreamy experience, I went to the Wool House where I had another excellent adventure which I'll relate in my next post.

23 comments:

  1. Oh that sounds like a seamstresses dream. You lucky girl. I'm so happy you had such fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome sounding store! Congrats on your new find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. How often does this kind of thing happen in a lifetime? Happy to say it was busy.

      Delete
  3. Ooohhh, good underwires... I'll have to check that out when I'm next vaguely in the area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least as good as what you get from Europe, much better than Bra Makers who have the weakest underwires, IMO.

      Delete
  4. I get all my sturdy zippers and hardware to make bags from the Leather & Sewing Supply Deport - glad you'll forgive me for not telling you about it, although in my defence, I didn’t know you didn’t know about it. As for “The Wool House”, they have great stuff, but the owner is too pushy for my liking, just saying. Question for you: have you been able to find decent silk prints in this city?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea - all is forgiven, but you've got to tell me where else you shop! I agree that Salim is very engaged with customers. I view it as an aspect of his love of the fabric. But it's hard to have him spend hours with you and then to walk out empty handed! I haven't found many silk prints - but you should know I don't generally look for them. There's a place in the basement, just next to the Wool House (there's the word discount in the name, I think, and the sign is orange). They've had some nice prints on occasion. The guy there, Avi, is related to the woman who owns King Textiles. I'll keep my eyes open.

      Delete
  5. Isn't it great when you find wonderful places where you love the inventory, and where you feel at home discussing it with the employees? I hope this place has everything you need in the future, so you can avoid ordering things and paying expensive shipping costs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The thought of saving on shipping is one of the very exciting elements :-)

      Delete
  6. Funny, I was on Vanauley Street yesterday as well -- only in my reading, as I`m teaching Dionne Brand`s What We All Long For, set in Toronto. Sadly, none of her characters headed into the Leather & Sewing Supply store. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is totally bizarre. If you've never been on that street IRL, it's very short - and very yucky. Leads into some rather unlovely council housing.

      Delete
    2. Yes, that was my impression from the passage -- if I remember correctly, it's near Alexandra Park. . . what a coincidence, though!

      Delete
  7. Wow, sounds awesome! I find I get all tongue-tied going into sewing stores... I guess I just don't trust my spoken Sewlish.

    Which has to be the best word, ever. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It just came to me. I'm on a roll due to my excitement.

      Delete
  8. You are so lucky to have a place like this near you. They are all gone in Boston. The closest city I know to get all these obscure things is New York now. Sigh.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it so sad that this style of store is almost no longer. I've never seen anything quite this comprehensive in TO. I mean, it's not fancy (the venue is a dumpy basement) but the inventory is there.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for sharing your find! I have starred your post for reference for my next foray to Queen street...though unfortunately I live 6 hours away so I don't make it there very often...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy to hear it! I wish you as enjoyable time as I had.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fun speaking fluent Sewlish!

    I really wish we had a store like here but we don't :(.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, you would love it! You must come here and check it out xoxo

      Delete
  12. That's the one in the basement, right? Yeah, I found the cheapest separating zippers there - it's a great store...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The zipper options are awesome and so well-priced! How are you doing?

      Delete