Back story: I bought the original stretch denim a while ago, then on Thursday, discovered I didn't have enough (or it was going to be exceedingly close, anyway). Friday evening I went out to get another batch of (different gauge) indigo stretch denim but the store only had 2 yards of it left. That was .5 less than the pattern called for, but .25 of a yard more than I had with the other denim. And, when I did sizing (given my "non-tallness"), that would be enough.
When I got home, I noticed 3 puncture wounds in the fabric, about 1/8 yard from the selvedge. Ugh. However, given my frugal smarts, I even figured out, with careful placement, how I could avoid that piece of the fabric.
All was well.
Until I (having reviewed that placement no less than 3 times - you don't fuck around when you have issues) realized that I still managed to set up the fabric wrong - entirely wrong - vis a vis the punctures.
So now the ass of these (super close fitting) denim leggings has 3 small holes. Did I mention I've already spent hours on the pattern and the fabric sourcing and the cutting??
I have come up with one more potential solution - presuming it will work once these babies are in 3D. I've drafted a pocket to sit over the holey part. Alas, pockets can only go in certain spots without looking insane, and I don't know if these holes are going to place themselves within that zone.
Not to mention the fact that I've never done a pocket and I have no idea of how to assemble it. I have to assume one places the pocket before sewing the side seams but I don't know where, specifically, to put it. I guess I'll have to baste the seams, see where everything goes, undo the basting, affix the pocket (once I figure that out) and sew things up again.
And I thought this would be a fast project.
Did I mention that there's no guarantee this garment is going to fit, even if the holes are made invisible?
Take the long view, Krissie. Take the long view.
Update: So I finished these and I have to say, they're horrible. Like leggings more than jeans. I'm going to give them another chance - do a bit more work on the front crotch depth - but I'm not particularly hopeful.
Here's what I had to do to get them to this (less-ill fitting) but still unlovely stage:
- 2 inch crotch length shortening
- removal of fabric (though not enough) from front crotch
- removal of fabric (though not enough) from back leg below crotch and above knee
I think, in my next try I'll a) cut the small and b) adjust the crotch length and depth according to my current version - maybe just removing a bit more fabric from the front crotch area.
I can't say I love the way the elastic is sewn on. To be honest, I can't say I love the idea of elastic at all. I might try to draft a waistband. (Though that might be a third try alteration, if the second appeals. I don't want to waste my time unnecessarily).
Oh, and my pocket would have been great - I did manage to cover the holes, amazingly, but I have learned you need to sew it so it's parallel with the waist. Otherwise it will look warped and stupid.
Oh well. So much for a good sewing day.