Sunday, March 21, 2010

Young Budgeters, This is For You

You MUST watch this hilarious piece of vintage advertising for the Singer 185J. Savvy homemakers, note, for $119.50 in 1959, this little baby could have been yours.



And now, my friends, it is mine!

My husband, who went to visit his mother in Oakville yesterday, brought me back her model of this machine, languishing in the basement since the '60s. It weighs about 25 lbs so that was no small favour. He lugged it on the train and subway for more than an hour to surprise me. I do appreciate my MIL's generosity.

Of course, I will post many photos. It's minty green adorable with space-age features. It merely straight-stitches; that's all machines of this vintage ever did, but I suspect it will go through 10 layers of any fabric and top stitch with utter precision.

Although I am not a collector by any means (and although this thing is not small), it's a compact piece of history and it may actually become something I use on a regular basis. When not in use, it will live neatly in its leather and Tolex case so the clutter factor will be minimal.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, you are lucky to have that! But, aren't you glad we weren't "women of the 50's"

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just reminded me that my folks have a big brown monster that weighs a ton. My dad still uses it to hem his jeans. I wonder if I can talk them out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacy: Definitely.

    Shallow: Try to get them to give it to you. Nothing like free vintage :-) Just tell him you'll hem his jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW - what a find and how fabulous!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate: I wish you lived close by so I could lend it to you until you get your own machine. Damn those 3000 miles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool is that!!! After seeing this ad I'd like to have one! The video was pretty humorous and it's funny how you had the choice to choose the cabinet color or get the machine without it. From the video you could tell it weighed a ton! But you gotta love all the history behind it. Enjoy your new "treasure":)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Victoria: Isn't it hilarious? It does weigh a ton. I can barely lift it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woo, vintage Singer owners represent! Mine has its own little timber case with handle, and SOMEHOW that tiiiiiiny little handle can lift the whole chunky thing up! I am however too smart to fall for it's cute little handle charms, because I know if I ever tried to lift it up in earnest, the handle would break and so would multiple toes.

    Those sneaky Singers!

    ReplyDelete