Monday, March 26, 2012

Today's Really Freakin' Good News...

Today, my friends, the world is looking very glass-half-full.

For starters, remember this?

Well, it arrived and I think it's terrific!

Smug Krissie

Happy Krissie

Thoughtful Krissie

Cute-bum Krissie

(I would like you to know that we took these pics after 5 pm, and I'm wilted from the day. My daughter would like you to know that she took these photos of me and the only problem she had was that my face kept looking prettier - said she - than the dress. Note: When you're tween is being lovey, a VERY occasional activity, you have to really be grateful...)

In truth, this bodice is longer than mine, but it's a great dress people, with beautiful workmanship. Run, don't walk, and get yourself a Lady Danburry original.

OK, awesome news part 2? Well, vis a vis muslin 1 of the tailored suit jacket, I do think I cut the wrong size. To wit:

See all the lines on the (left-side) curve of the LEFT side piece above? See how many more of them there are than on the curve of the right-side piece? I think that's cuz I mistakenly chopped 3 sizes off the front side and back side pieces of this pattern when cutting for muslin 1.

The back side pieces are below - in this case the right one is "correct" (I think), left side is the one I used to make muslin 1.

Keep in mind that I've badly hacked into the armsyce curves of the muslin 1 pieces. They do not resemble the original (presumed-too small) pattern pieces - so please don't get confused by that. Also, note (intriguingly) that my hack job vaguely mimics, at least in length, the unaltered second versions (the "correct" size)...


I don't know that I can blame Craftsy - though, trust me, I'd like to. I think I just got totally confused, though I'm going to review both pieces carefully again in the next few days to ensure it's not a problem with the pieces. If it is, I don't want this frustration to befall anyone else.

This would explain why:
  • The sleeve head wouldn't fit into the original bodice pieces - 2 of the 4 were 3 sizes to small?!
  • The armsyce was too small.
  • The princess seams were exceedingly justified to either side of my breasts (rather than lying close to the apex.
  • I couldn't raise my arms forward without the seams pulling.

In fact, if this is the problem, with the new pieces, I will add quite a bit of width to this pattern. Probably enough to make it the right size. Theoretically enough to obviate the need for an FBA.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves. Yes?

Instead, let's enjoy the moment.

35 comments:

  1. You look fabulous in that dress! And I love the way your daughter photographed it to catch the way light plays on the brocade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Believe it or not, the fabric (quite unyielding and substantial, not an iota of stretch) is like a camouflage print from right up close. It's the strangest thing, cuz the dress is so "lady". From just a foot away, looks like brocade. Aren't those great pics by M? She did a great job.

      Delete
  2. What a great dress! The fabric looks totally yummy. I can't comment on the pattern, as I haven't sewn much since, oh, about the Elizabethan era.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really cool fabric - like camouflage pattern up close, but just a bit farther away it looks like brocade.

      Delete
  3. You look great, you need a date and a night on the town to go with that dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I missed Mad Men Sunday by less than 24 hours :-)

      Delete
  4. Girl! It looks so good on you! I'm glad you were the winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Thank you again for such a lovely piece of fashion.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I can see you in this neckline.

      Delete
  6. Freakin' awesome!!! Both the dress and the pattern. We'll annoying about the pattern, but at least it makes sense and is an easy fix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm coming to terms with the pattern. I hope I have time to get through the muslin this weekend.

      Delete
  7. That dress is gorgeous on you! Congrats on winning it. It really looks like it was tailor-made for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is lovely. Lady D is very talented.

      Delete
  8. I've gotten confused and traced on the wrong line a couple of times. It sucks, but at least you're muslining instead of just hacking into your good fabric only to discover this stuff too late!

    Your daughter did an excellent job on the photo shoot, you look smashing in that dress! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's unlike me. I still don't know what was going through my mind - except, I do remember having to think very hard about the cutting before I did it (the first time). The fact that I got it wrong is kind of pathetic.

      My daughter and I had a lot of fun doing that shoot. Thank you!

      Delete
  9. Terrific indeed! LOVE the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - that dress is so gorgeous on you! And you are gorgeous in that dress!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an awesome dress! A nice interlude to the tailored jacket! Good to see you've figured out what's gone wrong. I don't understand how you cut 3 sizes off though! What happened?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't know what happened. I keep wondering and looking at the original pieces. I was not tired when I cut them. I was careful about it. I think my brain just didn't get it. Not encouraging when it's probably the easiest element of the project :-) (I like to think I've got over my "stupid mistake" :-))

      Delete
  12. Ahhhhhhhh! You and that dress are a match made in heaven! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG you look great in that dress. Also just like the model in the photo. And hooray for tween sweetness, it is to be cherished for its rarity.

    Good luck figuring out the pattern sizing mix-up! I can't wait to see the next version. Sooo odd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks T. And the tween sweetness is something that you don't take for granted. Today, she let me wash and condition her hair and wash her face - I'm a real groomer :-). I also went to get her some new bras (a couple with underwire?!). She seems to be a legit 32A or 34A depending on the brand. These bras fit perfectly and she loves them. It was a total mummy-daughter love-fest :-) Amazingly, I was able to buy them without her - something I'm totally hit and miss on these days, since she's changing all the time. She is not into going shopping with me. She feels that change rooms do not have adequate security (her words).

      Delete
    2. What I should also say is that some brands - the tween bra brands, specifically - do quite small 34s. They are in no way like a 34 band you'd find in adult size. She's actually like a 30 band in "real bras". Just don't want you to think I've gone off the rails and now I support the wearing of 34 bands on rather slender underbusts :-)

      Delete
  14. Well don't you look ever so feminine and refined in that dress! I love the poses:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. that dress is glorious on you. your tween is right, looks like you have sunlight coming out of your FACE.

    did she have any ulterior motives?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oona, she always has ulterior motives. And they generally concern the ingestion of sugar :-)

      Delete
  16. Va va voooooooom! You look fabulous in that dress.
    And hurrah for moving forward with the jacket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Evie! The progress is slow, alas, but coming along.

      Delete