Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Tailored Suit: Accessories

It's never too soon to start accessorizing a suit that doesn't exist. (Is this analogous to buying adorable baby clothes while pregnant?)

I couldn't stop myself from buying this brooch on Etsy:

It may not work at all, but it called to me - and it was not expensive.

Oh, and I'm so on the fence with the plastic buttons. Though they look great, they're plastic!? Y'all have made me aware of the folly of spending zillions of hours on a project, only to cap it with plastic buttons. So...

I've called Pat of Pat's Custom Buttons and Belts (no website, but see this awesome Gertie post on the topic, which Gail so generously reminded me about) and requested a catalog. I fully intend to send her my fabric fashion scraps (at least 2" x 2" for 1" buttons) for gorgeous fabric-covered buttons. Stay tuned. (And give feedback!)

8 comments:

  1. That's so pretty! And guess what? You're not the only one who does this - I just bought 2 necklaces and a bracelet off Etsy yesterday, to go with the coral silk Sorbetto I'm getting ready to make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then I must have snatched this right from under you :-)

      Delete
  2. What a great brooch -- it's pretty, yes, but not too. It's clean and strong as well -- and it sings springtime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will also go well on a scarf - it seems to have some good application. Hope it's in good shape.

      Delete
  3. I love the way you re taking this thing all the way through! Lovely brooch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C'mon, aren't the adornments the most fun part? :-)

      Delete
  4. OOH! Pretty buttons. I like the Combination Flat, Combination Raised and Flower Combination for buttons. I like them because they seem to be ones that couldn't be done by a home sewist and therefore look more professional. They also look a little more vintage to me.

    If I was making this amazing suit, I might also consider having a belt made too, it might give you another look or two from the suit as well. Just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to get the catalogue and choose which ones will work best, IMO. But I agree I think those three are my faves!

    Man, you sewists are up to getting me to do crazy things like a lady from the 50s! I thought of getting one of Sunni's belt kits, but maybe it would be easier to just get the buttons and belt done simultaneously by the same expert. Hmmm....

    ReplyDelete