Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Cool Thing I Got On Etsy...

Yes, I am a bit obsessed with Etsy. I have actually spent mindless hours surfing random boutiques, endlessly amazed by the offerings. I love supporting small business and artisans. And you know I love shopping.

Here's my latest, utterly cool (and even relevant) purchase:

Purchased here

People, it was published in 1956 by the Clothing and Housing Research Branch of the freakin' US Department of Agriculture?! How bizarre and excellent is that. And it's in utterly mint condition - for $4.00 plus shipping. It's like no one ever opened this thing.

Also, the instruction is, on the one hand, entirely similar to what you will learn if you do the Starlet Suit Jacket course and, on the other hand, totally old school. They twill taped the arm holes back then. And apparently, crepe was "not appropriate" for suiting because it's too thin and drapey :-) Hand worked buttonholes (not bound, like actual buttonholes your machine would make) were all the thing.

They teach you how to make your own tailor's ham, collar press pad and sleeve press pad cuz, duh, who buys those things??

I can't tell you how much I love this quirky little booklet.

Has anyone else seen this? Do you have fun vintage tailoring books or booklets you can tell about? I have actually bought a couple of others from another vendor that haven't yet arrived but I'll be posting on them when I get them.

10 comments:

  1. Oh man, Etsy vies for Pinterest in being time sucking! It's so fun getting little hand-wrapped packages from around the world. (Buttons!) I've found a couple of cool booklets, but none I can remember offhand... I like them for the illustrations ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I just haven't got into Pinterest, but Etsy is a drug!

      Delete
  2. I cannot resist vintage sewing and tailoring books. I have one from the early 50's that advises women to dress and do your makeup before sewing, so as to look good in the mirror when trying on your muslins! yeah, right :) do you think pj's count as dressed? ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE that. Makeup before sewing. I mean, that's so crazy it's fabulous.

      Delete
  3. Etsy is so cool. It is amazing the range of products people are selling. That's a total score at $4. People may think we're hard core for making clothing but it's nothing compared to making your own tools as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that a score. And I found a few others, on other shops (just by accident) that were almost as well priced. Of course, the shipping on those was insane...

      Delete
  4. What a fantastic book. I love it!

    ReplyDelete