Thursday, November 28, 2013

Two Socks, One Week: The Pattern

Click here for the pattern: A Simple Sock

Note, I did test this link, so I hope it's going to work for everyone. Do let me know if you have challenges accessing a printable version of A Simple Sock.

As mentioned, this is the first pattern I've ever documented. I think it's accurate to say that I did not devise the methods, but I did construct the process. As mentioned, I did it in such a way that - I hope - will take much of the guess-work out of the equation. (It's called hitting you over the head with info :-)) The goal is for the pattern to act as the repository for all of your info as you work. There are charts within each of the relevant stages, so that you simply need to check off your rows per round as you go. I believe that efficiency is achieved when you can put all of your notes into the pattern as you go.

If you find any errors or lack of clarity - either on first read, or when we're working on the socks together - please don't hesitate to let us all know! I want to ensure this works for now, and in the future. I've done what I can to refine it in such a way that it's error-free. But different people work differently and info that is totally clear to me might be unclear for other users.

You'll note that this sock is made in 9 distinct steps. Of course, during the KAL we'll talk about these in more detail. These steps do not teach methods - they simply refer to them on the assumption that you know how to do what is instructed. But of course, I will, during the KAL, refer you to sites that show ways of doing the various things that are required. I will also speak about these things in detail - providing info and tips of my own - so that you are supported in the construction process, even if you've never used one of the methods before.

This concludes the first phase of our KAL - the info-gathering part. We'll pick it up again in mid-December, when I'll start getting into the knitty-gritty (ha!) about magic loop and some more deets about the pattern.  Till then, please continue to ask questions and provide feedback!

Reminder: Phase 2 is still about learning, not doing. We'll actually get going with our socks on December 29. Anyone who's on the fence about participating, this still gives you lots of time to get your materials together and consider whether this pattern works for you.

15 comments:

  1. thanks - i can open it and it seems very clear (altho i'm sure i'll need help when it comes to it!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you know anything of wendy happy sock yarn? it's a 75% bamboo 25% nylon mix. linky here: http://www.modernknitting.co.uk/PBSCCatalog.asp?CatID=1953192

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not heard of it but I'll have to check it out!

      Delete
    2. It's a good price and I won't have wool itch with it. I have asked twitter for opinions/experiences!

      Delete
    3. Well done! That's the best way, I find.

      Delete
  3. You are awesome and amazing! That's a stunningly clear pattern, and I can only imagine how many hours it represents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, thank you so much! I can't say how much I appreciate the positive feedback. It has taken many hours and I want it to be good and useful, so thank you.

      Delete
  4. The link works fine. I'll read the pattern next week, after Mr. Stitch dissapears again. Happy American Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, put it away till then at least! BTW, I'm making those gloves with magic loop. It's not harder than making a sock with magic loop. I do want you to show me the DPNs when we go to knit night, though...

      Delete
  5. Got it , thanks a mill :) I had a quick read through and love that you've included boxes to tick off as you go. I started writing out patterns in a notebook with spaces to tick and room to make notes, after reading your process of knitting. It just made perfect sense to have everything clearly written out so that the actual knitting goes alot smoother. Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! I'm so happy that the tick boxes work for you. I find it to be quite efficient so it's nice to know I have company :-)

      Delete
  6. Sigh! I've been keeping my head right below this parapet but I've just downloaded your pattern and love how you've structured it, plus love the idea of learning magic loop, plus the idea of quickly getting some yarn out of the (admittedly only very small) stash. Looks like I'm in (even if I don't get them finished in a week!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what a lovely compliment! Please join us - but work at your own pace. Then you get the fun of new socks (and yarn) but without the fuss.

      Delete
    2. You're welcome! I'm just itching to clear the yarn out so I can start with fresh projects. This is a splendid opportunity. Must order needles! ;-)

      Delete