Wednesday, October 30, 2013

A Twist on the Turban

If you're hoping to hear anything about anything other than knitting (and stuff I've bought), it's likely going to be a while. If I knit constantly between now and Xmas eve, I might finish what I've got on the agenda. And certain people, ahem, keep asking me to make them sweaters. For Xmas. Are they high on drugs?!

Anyway, while my goal is to keep some mystery alive, I cannot resist sharing with you a little pattern that is a) flattering, b) compact and c) really easy. Seriously, and assuming you have basic knitting skills, if this thing were any easier it would knit itself:


My version of the Parisian Twist 
Yeah,  it's a turban. Get over it. Cuz I swear this is rather chic (if different). I like it so much (I, who have a major aversion to head covering - which looks hideous on me 96.2% of the time) that I'm going to make another for myself. Hopefully before the cold weather abates.

A few things to note about the pattern:

  • It calls for worsted held double when knitting. This means a few things: The turban is bulkier (than it needs to be), larger than the dimensions purport to be (once most blocking is factored in) and it eats up more wool than you might imagine (but still not more than 200 yards).
  • I recommend, to adjust for two of the three issues above, that you go down to a size 9 needle (it calls for a US10) and use DK yarn. Of course, gauge swatching isn't a bad idea. And if you do, don't make my mistake: Gauge swatch using two strands! If I'd read the pattern in any detail, I'd have known this. But no, I didn't re-swatch. These projects get one, wet-blocked swatch and then it's showtime.
  • You can't easily alter the size of the turban by using different stitch numbers (my usual trick) or by messing with the double strand because both are key to the way increases and decreases are worked in this pattern. These increases and decreases are quite ingenious, really, you knit into each strand of a stitch when making an increase and decrease by giving a strand to the preceding or following stitch.
  • The buttonhole is bigger than I'd like (though it will be smaller when next I make this with thinner yarn). As instructed, you need at least a 1" button, so keep that in mind.
Anyway, I think this is a really good idea if you've got a lot of presents to make and you're looking for something practical that also has boutique appeal.

Thoughts?

12 comments:

  1. That is very cute! You certainly need one for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just knit one similar from a free Ravelry pattern. It doesn't use a button; it's connected with kertchner stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I knit 4 "turban(d)"s last winter. They make you feel adorable like a hipster fairy or something. The pattern Iused is just single worsted, way less bulky. I really did knit 4, I gave away 2...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw (and faved) that one in my Ravelry. This one just seemed a bit more fancy to me, from a present perspective, but I will probably try that one next.

      Delete
  4. I love this turban! I'm going to sneak it in. I'm knitting a pair of socks, legwarmers (and as many as possible), five hats . . .all before Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it fun?! You can easily make it in an afternoon, fyi.

      Delete
  5. This is so cool. I made a similar headband (minus the twist) for my stepdaughter last year. She wears it all the time. Maybe it's time for a new one... And I can't wait to see the version you'll make for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, no doubt you will see it - hopefully sooner rather than later. I have to get some more yarn for it from Ewe this evening...

      Delete
  6. This is adorable. You are so kind knitting gifts for folk. The ones who can't knit don't appreciate the work, so I'm not doing it, and the ones who can knit would rather have the yarn. I think I lucked out! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I love being thought of as kind! You're right that those who don't knit don't really understand what's involved but I do get to knit and feel kind of saintly at the same time :-)

      Delete