Saturday, August 20, 2016

Gaining Some Traction

What's this?



That, my friends, is a yoga wall. You know, one of these (except mine is being constructed rather differently):

Photo courtesy of Winnipeg Fitness Explorer
You can do EVERYTHING fun with this prop. It's really like multiple props... As you may know, there are entire classes devoted to hanging yoga or traction yoga, as it's sometimes called. As you may also know, I loathe the crowded studio scene but I might need to attend a couple of classes to remind myself about the most creative ways to use the wall and ropes for traction.

Scott is constructing the wall as we speak. (Don't worry. He's very carpenterish when it comes to building things. He's made houses.) It's a fairly low-risk proposition because, even if we don't like what we come up with, they're tearing down this room in 6 months. So we can learn from this proof-of-concept go-round and apply any lessons learned to the new set up, once the reno is complete. I know I'm sounding so chill. In truth, one of the eyelets just missed the centre of the stud, which likely split, and now there's a hole in the wall and I can barely stand it. No way am I repainting something I'm about to tear down. But how will I look at glaring imperfection for months?? I hang out in that room constantly (and soon literally!) I know. First-world problem. But I do wish I had people to fix everything at my whim and I'm not confident that my husband falls into that category :-) The fact is that my life is too full for me to prioritize fixing holes in walls without wanting to hurl myself from a bridge. I need to find a way to truly accept that I am unwilling to do certain things and that this doesn't require me - or behoove me - to ruminate on them with every fiber of my being. My compulsiveness is a lesson I may finally be ready to learn. I must put this side of myself behind me because it's destructive. Everything is on a trajectory of decay but it cannot be the only thing I observe.

On notification of early onset of spinal arthritis, I knew immediately that I would be wise - and happy - to hang daily to allow gravity to reset compression. I also want to ensure that my discs are enabled to replump with compression-free inversion. They are, after all, the skeleton's shock absorption system. (A headstander - though wonderful for many - doesn't accomplish this, fyi. To gain traction when inverting, you need support from above the hang, not from below.) Not to mention that I've wanted one of these walls for years - pretty well ever since I stopped venturing to my Iyengar studio. For a couple of years now, often at night, I feel a desperate need to lengthen, which I do using various props and strange methods, but nothing quite does the trick. And, if my pain is being caused by nerve compression, I've got to give those nerves a fighting chance to release as the musculature and skeleton around them extend completely.

So that's where I'm at today. Note: I cannot recommend that anyone install a hanging rope wall unless she is a) capable with construction or able to find a qualified installer and b) knowledgeable about how these ropes work in the yogic context. You do NOT want to try this at home without having had a lot of instruction in a classroom setting first or you may put yourself in danger.

For those who have emailed or commented with health-oriented suggestions - thank you so much. I have been taking highly bio-available curcumin capsules - and I drink turmeric shots as often as I can find them. I'm also starting up with the fish oil again. I did stop all supplements a while ago, in a moment of apathy, but I'm back to taking these two. Furthermore, while cutting out all potentially inflammatory foods (gluten, sugar and dairy) is really not in the cards right this minute - as I work 2 jobs for 2 weeks (1 week down!) and then segue into a, frankly, serious new role in a totally new ministry having much new responsibility and a steep learning curve - I have cut way back on foods from all 3 of these groups. I do use food and drink to manage my stress (as most people do) and I think it would be placing ridiculous additional pressure on me to instigate binary change in yet another major aspect of my life, while I settle. But I'm easing my way in. Note: I will not give up booze or dairy unless they're observably problematic, and I'm not convinced they are. Wine and cheese are too beautiful to forego without utter necessity.

PS: I've been working on some very prelim neuroplastic techniques to manage pain (actually, I use many neuroplastic techniques already - I just didn't realize that's what they are). My latest method is to tell the pain that it's an illusion, a perception, and to ignore it by doing other things which use the parts of my brain that are generally associated with processing that sort of pain. It's actually somewhat effective. So far, I haven't stopped feeling the pain but now I can separate the sensation from my consciousness' interpretation of it. BTW - what's an awesome way to occupy the brain (specifically the implicated visual cortex)? KNITTING. Who knew?

I cannot recommend Norman Doidge's book enough: The Brain that Changes Itself. Honestly, peeps. If regular people can recover from pervasive strokes and catastrophic mental or physical injury by utilizing parts of the brain that generally have nothing to do with those damaged areas, there is hope for everyone.

20 comments:

  1. Oh inversion sounds perfect! While I have no way of finding a studio for that, I remember I used to hang from a ladder on the playground.

    Btw my PHD work (that thing I'm procrastinating...) is on adult neuroplasticity. I study the visual cortex of congenitally blind (using fmri). Pain literature is a hobby of mine... I think one way of coping with pain is learning to "enjoy" it (sounds perverted but it works for athletes). I'm sure you will find your way. Please remember that something that works for some people doesn't work for others and vice versa. Specifically with food - I know no-gluten diets are trendy, but I don't see a reason to eliminate it from your diet unless based on your experience it is bad for you. There is a limit as to what extent evidence based literature can be translated into reccommendarions for a specific person. You know your body really well, do what makes you happy and what makes you feel at your best irrespective of what is currently popular...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great comment Roni! I didn't know that was your area of study. That is SO cool! Would you recommend any particular books?

    What I'm doing is a version of learning to enjoy it - but from the other way round. That is, learning not to care (so if it's present, my enjoyment of everything isn't compromised). I totally agree with you about things working for some and not for others. Really, I'm just going to give the low-inflammation "diet" a chance, in the event that I notice some meaningful change in pain levels. If I don't think it's doing anything, I'll just return to my regular ways (only with less sugar. I really do think that stuff is evil and I'm addicted). I've been very slowly cutting down on this for years, but I've never gone below a certain threshold of elminination because, lord, I want sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like fun! In a way that would be far beyond me. ;) I can't even handle regular yoga. Good luck with handling the hole. I almost have my husband to the point where he doesn't have to put all the eggs on the right side of the carton, so there may be hope. ;)

    Congratulations on the crazy job transition! We just got a major bombshell in my own little corner of public service that I am having a lot more trouble adjusting to than I expected, even though the complete transformation of my daily work won't take place for a couple of months. Processing. Not my favourite mental state. 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so fun - but it can be scary for some and disorienting at first. I started using these at the age of 18 so I bypassed a lot of fear that some of the older (or nervous) people in my classes would sometimes express. It takes a while to get used to being upside down for long periods of time but you can also use the ropes in so many other ways (not inversion based) that help tremendously to traction legs or the thoracic spine (for example). Still one needs instruction first.

      Thanks re: job. I did have a small "egad" moment last week but who doesn't when starting a totally new role, right? I'm sorry to hear about your bombshell - is it one of those "broad transformation" initiatives? I do hope you will continue to have a stable job, even if it changes. And I also hope that the change may turn out to be more enjoyable than you imagine.

      Delete
  4. K, check out doyogawithme to see if any of their advanced classes are of your taste. I like them!

    The yoga wall sounds fascinating! Have you considered taking an muscle test / alpha or omega test - fancy name for a comprehensive food allergy / vitamin/mineral/hormone imbalance test all in one go without drawing blood... my naturopath has it and in the past 8 years I've used this multiple times and got perfect results for me and my family. Highly recommend!

    My most amazing Naturopath is in Thornhill - too far from Mississauga. We make a trip once in 3 months to see her! So worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay: Off to check it out. Thank you so much! I'm about to take another hormone test (I get these periodically) just to see where things are at now. I haven't taken allergy testing since I was a child (my parents are very "alternative" so I did have those tests then).

      It's so awesome that you have a naturopath you love. I am very fond of mine too - I've been seeing her on and off for about 10 years. She's downtown, so relatively easy for me (esp. given that I don't have a car). I am impressed by your commitment to see your doc. from such a distance.

      Delete
  5. Inversion is great; antigravity yoga is even better! You get the loosening and relaxation benefits of yoga, but you're supported the entire time. If you can find an Antigravity Yoga (TM) class, I'd highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've researched it a bit, Sandra, and it's very intriguing. I've also considered buying one of the slings...

      Delete
    2. After I took Antigravity Yoga for a while, I HAD to get a sling for home. It's the best. If I DON'T use it, I really feel it.

      Delete
  6. I love it K! I bought an aerial hammock (for aerial yoga almost two years ago and have not yet installed it). This sounds super inspirational!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! You have to install it! And tell us how it works for you. (PS: Go to a couple of classes first, just to ensure you remember how it all works! :-))

      Delete
  7. My prenatal iyengar class took advantage of a yoga wall. We didn't do complete inversions (obv reasons), but the ropes were a great help with balance and stability during late pregnancy. We did a lot of supported downward dog and variations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's terrific. I did do full inversions right till the end of my pregnancy and I can't say I'd do that now. I actually wonder if it's the reason that the cord was 3x wrapped around M's neck at birth. (Likely it was more because the umbilical cord was bizarrely long.) The supported DD is my fave. I do this every morning since the ropes were installed. I can actually feel my vertebrae lengthening.

      Delete
  8. While I take your cautions seriously, and we will never have the option of a wall like yours, I can imagine how great that release must be. Traction from my physio or, less often, my RMT -- and just the gentle manual traction for neck or lower back -- is one of my favourite parts of the treatment. I'll be very curious to hear how this goes.
    And congrats on what I infer is a new job -- promotion? Go you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, Frances, you have a lot of yoga history and with a few wall rope classes, I bet you could quite safely use this prop. You are very active, after all! It does take up a reasonable amount of real estate - which in a condo may not be optimal - but do consider it if, one day, it seems like something your spine could benefit from. I am LOVING the ropes. Using them every day - if only to hang for 10 minutes.

      PS: Job is a promotion!

      Delete
  9. The inversion yoga looks great and anti-gravity yoga even better!

    I wanted to mention something that might be helpful, just in case you don't know about it. Esther Gokhale wrote a wonderful book on back pain and posture. I use one of her techniques, stretch-lying, every night. It puts some traction on the lower spine and the upper spine. I go to sleep that way every night. Basically, you set up two pillows, one to go under your knees, and one to support your upper spine and head. I put the second one the long way. You put your legs over the pillow and, with your hips pinned to the mattress, pull your spine in the other direction using your elbows as you lie down the rest of the way. Then you put your hands on the back of your head and pull it away from the rest of your body. There is a video on it:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCtF9_DuzMU

    This does not provide as much traction as inversion, of course, but maybe every little bit helps?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCtF9_DuzMU

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know of that book but i completely forgot it till I read this comment. Thanks Marie. The technique that you mention is very similar to what I do many evenings with my bed and head of nails, recently written about, though I don't sleep on them. This is even more easily accomplished (not for sleeping, but for resting on a wooden floor) with the accupressure mats because the "pokey plastic bits" grip onto flesh or clothing and they drive and hold the traction. I highly recommend you look into them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually have a "bed of nails" - I bought it some years ago but somehow never worked it into my routine. I will look for your post on it and dig mine out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete