Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Wherein I Describe My Latest Return to Sewing

By some sort of fluke, I did some sewing on the weekend. It was lame sewing. It was near disastrous sewing (in that way that only technical things that one has ignored for months can go). But it was a step in the right creative direction. I've been so busy with work and holidays and reno planning that knitting's really been my only jam. And, while I'm still deep in the yarn stash-busting weeds, if my house is going to stay in one piece till mid-summer, I'm onto to working the fabric stash angle.

Here's what I did:
  • Nearly wrecked a pair of $170 jeans that I needed to hem and narrow (legs were bells). Somehow I forgot that one should turn jeans inside out before doing things like determining how much side-seam to remove and then actually removing it. Then I took off too much fabric - allow me to reiterate that I cut the jeans from the right side?!?!? - and I had to fix things on the fly. I honestly don't know what planet my brain was on as I performed this task. On the other not-so-fun side, these jeans - which sat around for 6 months waiting for me to hem them - fit too snugly for my liking when I finally tried them on. I've almost come to terms with a sombre fact (though it's taken 3 years): I'm going to have to be hungry in order to stay thin - at least at this time of my life - because I am not going up another dress size without a drag-out massacre. Moreover, I intend to go down one. Can't dwell on this right now. My stomach is rumbling and I want wine I won't drink. Fucking middle age.
  • For my child, I altered a hideous, white sweatshirt with the phrase "Who Am I" written on it. No question mark. This is a sentiment I can get with, these days, on my kid's behalf. Apparently the shirt was too long to be wearable (at regular sweatshirt length) so I cropped it. After spending 15 minutes trying to rip out the serged hem between the hem band and the t-shirt body, I finally just cut one piece from the other and then cropped the bodice / re-serged on the band. It worked out alright, though it was risky. Can't say this was the most creative thing I've done all week.
  • Sewed my new labels into my new, finished stash-busted knits. Didn't do a very good job and I dislike every single one. Good news is that you have to know what doesn't work in order to determine what does.
  • At this point, I couldn't stop myself. I was on such a roll of mediocrity, it seemed the perfect time to pull out my Jenna Cardigan pattern and alter it (on the fly) to a V neck, while simultaneously lengthening it to account for my current dimensions. 
So I put down my challenging to lay-out fabric (it's got a raised cable pattern) and proceeded to cut each piece in one layer, neglecting to consider that the left front is a mirror-image of the right-front. Did I mention I only had one yard of the fabric and I bought it a year ago? Thank God the fabric was wide, cuz I just managed to fit the extra piece. Oh, and since I made up the V neck with, ahem, adventuresome abandon, I didn't have enough fabric for a one piece band. I came up with a seamed work around. We'll see if I called it right, because at that precise moment, sane Kristin knew it was time to step away from the sewga room.

All in all I had some fun between the moments of cursing. And there's nothing like sewing to make you aware of your body. I'm taking Friday off with an aim to sew all weekend. We'll see if I stick to that plan, but something tells me that I will.

Next up: Some new bra reviews! Spoiler alert: I nailed it on the fit.

14 comments:

  1. Oh man, there is a thrill in the sewing, even when you know as you do it that it might all be shit! I"m glad you made everything work , and I hope your long weekend of sewing is FUN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could really use the thrill of sewing this weekend (rather than it's scary flipside)! But I have no idea of what to sew...

      Delete
  2. Oh, those days! I have them, especially when doing mending and alteration---ugh! At least the kid is happy with the sweatshirt? I'm excited for your weekend, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. At least the sweatshirt worked out :-)

      Delete
  3. Moving back into activities, making room for stuff we like to do, that's tough when we have lots going on. I started making a list yesterday of creative things I wanted to get back to, never mind the new stuff I want to pick up, and I found myself remembering new things during the day, and adding to an already long list. Even just that list was a step to making space, so I applaud you for moving toward shears and sewing machine via practical projects, and I hope you do find time this weekend for some sewing that is a bit more fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the positive vibes! How awesome that you've started making your creative list. Can't wait to see what comes of it!

      Delete
  4. Oh man... This sounds rough. But great you're sewing again??? ;)

    I can say this: I was totally entertained by this post of yours and I feel your pain. I've been there too at some points - trust me. I always have to make a quick, easy, tried & true pattern after I've been on a hiatus otherwise I wreck things with my stupid mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really just don't know how I forgot to turn the freakin' jeans inside out?! I mean, I don't think you need sewing skills to figure that one out :-)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for a very funny post!!
    Yeah, I am ready to get back into sewing garments, but very very wary of my limitations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just don't be too wary or you'll never get back to it!

      Delete
  6. I swear to God it's moon phases or something because everything I touch turns to s**t at the moment! Roll on spring. "Middle Age" can go boil it's head!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - I don't know what's up. I need to click my brain into gear before I get going this morning. I will be competent! (she says at the beginning)

      Delete
  7. I hate those times when you have a run of bonehead moments! I don't have any pithy advice, but goodness knows I can offer some solidarity! Maybe you need to get back on the horse and give it another go, now that youv'e had a break. :-)

    ReplyDelete