Sunday, February 7, 2016

Bust the Stash: Finished Object 4 - Sixteen Cables Hat

I've been plodding away at my stash. Finished object 4 is blocked and I love its wrinkly weirdness:


16-Sixteen Cable Hat by Circé Belles Boucles
I did wet block this but the cables persist in their fall. I was all ready to keep it for myself (it fit perfectly pre-block) but it didn't dry as snug as it had been originally. I made the fitted version in a size small. I also went down a needle size for the ribbing section (the part where the pattern suggests a US6) - I used a size US5. In the end the yarn dried such that the garment got longer more than fatter. I've noted this tendency when I've used Quince Chickadee before.

It's a pretty cool hat, subdued but strangely avant garde.

I'm now about 75 per cent through my first pair of the Kindling Mitts. Hope to have pics of that soon (though I'm making 2 pairs in navy blue, which never photographs well). Knitting cables in small diameter is finicky enough without adding a dark colour to the mix. I practically have to feel for stitch-pattern correctness as it's still so dark here all the time.

4 comments:

  1. Oooh, I really like this! And I have some (!) Worsted that could stand to be stash-busted...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can totally make this in a day or two. Very fun and productive. But I recommend a drapier yarn than I used for cables shown off to their best effect.

      Delete
  2. Love it, I just love it. Your stitching, and your phrasing ("wrinkly wierdness"), are great.

    ReplyDelete